Atomizer failure - latest thoughts ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

kinabaloo

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
clean2.png

The solder blobs have a hole where the nichrome enters the blob. And it seems to be that the hot wire has caused the solder to recede.
This might sometimes lead to atty failure but in the under 2 months use bracket, most failures seem to be due to wire snap due to deposit buildup; I still think that this is the majority case.

As far as tin getting into the deposit, I dont't think this is because of the solder melting around the nichrome alone, but also some electro-chemical action - because only tin was found in the deposit - no copper, nickel or silver.

The tin component of the deposit (about 3%) is not likely to be burned off and may be part of the reason why the coil is not shiny. Whether this tin coating might affect the resistance of the coil over time is unknown, but quite possible.

Hence, I suspect that the coil resistance becomes reduced over time where the wire coils around the wick. So eventually the hottest parts of the nichrome wire will be the 'legs' (these will be the parts with the most resistance and now heated more by the greater current; particularly, half-way between the gunked coil and the solder blob. This is indeed where most failures occur, heat softened and possibly mechanically stretched also to breaking point.

kinabaloo

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
I figured the coils failed from embrittlement due to excessive thermal cycling.

That is why I "try" to keep my attys wet all the time.

I think that if e-juice left no dry-residue, then this would be the life-limiting factor. Which is why I am working on temperture controlled heating and direct juice feed. And these have very beneficial side-effects: longer battery life and no need to change the juice so often (top up/drip).

kinabaloo

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
From my observation, the ends of the coil are not soldered to the leads that attach to the atomizer connector. Rather, it appears that the coil end are bent into a 'V' shape and are set into the solder.

There is a company in California that produces vaporizers that essentially draw liquid from the bottom up and do not use a heating coil.

The V shape join holds it in place and this is supported by the solder; I think we can call that a soldered joint ;)

Any more info on this type of vaporizer?

HK45

ECF Veteran
Feb 21, 2009
USA

This seems like the perfect technology for VP's. I wonder if they have thought about it or if anyone has posed the idea to them. It certainly looks like it could be adapted to esmoking.

Seems to me that this would be sort of a "breakthrough" for a lot of the quality issues of VP's. I know that I would be willing to spend more for more reliability. With the failure rate of these products it would probably be cheaper in the long run.

Good post! :thumb:

HK45

kinabaloo

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
This has come up before. Suggested by Vageorge if i remember right.

I think it looks interesting and depends on two densities of porous ceramic (my guess). The problem would be that the power required would likely be too high for this to be feasible with a battery.

Similar in a way to BubbleJet technology - now there is something that is small and efficient !

Sar

ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2009
New York, NY
You never know where the next innovation or idea will come from. I mean, look at HP -- the ink jet technology is now being re-purposed to be used as drug/medication delivery mechanism in patches. The small jets (?) or micro-needles that fire the ink liquid in inkjet can also fire drugs and with much better control and precission than what is currently available. Hewlett-Packard expects this to be huge for them, and I am sure it will be.

EDIT: Found a link: http://h50025.www5.hp.com/ENP5/Public/Content.aspx?contentID=22951&portalid=372&pageid=1

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread