Attack of the (Kayfun V5) Clones!

Status
Not open for further replies.

petemoss

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 16, 2013
Queens, NY
There being a KV5 Mini was news to me. On a daily basis, I like 4+ ml because I am just moving around to much. But, a small tank sometimes means a small chamber and chimney which I think is good for flavor.

Tough to find good toppers. Like much of the other kayfun, I hope the KV5 is a good, all-around topper. Anyway, my block of KV5 did not come in today. :(
I didn't know about the KF5 mini until I saw it on fasttech: $24.00 SXK Kayfun V5 Mini Styled RTA Rebuildable Tank Atomizer - 3ml / 316 stainless steel + glass / 22mm dia. at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping
Over 30 reviews and 4.7/5.0, so it was well received. Just a shorter version of the KF5, which is a tall atty.

Dubminer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 10, 2016
I didn't know about the KF5 mini until I saw it on fasttech: $24.00 SXK Kayfun V5 Mini Styled RTA Rebuildable Tank Atomizer - 3ml / 316 stainless steel + glass / 22mm dia. at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping
Over 30 reviews and 4.7/5.0, so it was well received. Just a shorter version of the KF5, which is a tall atty.
Not really that much shorter though. What i mean by that is it worth trying a clone tank that has no original to clone off. For a small difference in height i am more than happy to stick with the original design.

Cosmic_Glaze

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 26, 2016
And another pic so I can show off the new VT75 I got in the mail today. FINALLY my first DNA mod and only $50 too!!!
Where did you pick that up? $50 DNA? Need to know!

15dd44a5c84abc9505aa744d414fba65.jpg

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk

Reactions: Kenna

Cumulo Vapus

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2016
Yes SXK have a mini kf v5. The reports i heard are not that good.

It seems to be on the same level as the Kayfun V3 Plus 1.5 which FT also sells….that is a really good atty once you sort out the leaks by changing all orings to NB70….plus it has the fix and forget airflow screw accessible under the base plate.

stylemessiah

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 16, 2015
Sydney, Australia
The only slight drama ive had in weeks since ive had the SJMY...after i'd put about 5 tanks through it i started to get a funky machine oil taste, so there was nothing to do but pull it right apart...one of the things that had always put me off about Kayfuns were the number of parts....

Thankfully, i had no dramas. I pulled it completely apart...all the orings off - not missing the little one inside the topfill (Part 21)! (laid on a sheet of paper with where they came from written on it underneath each oring), and found a bit of machine oil surrounding inside the top of Part 3. It was probably elsewhere in a tiny amount but this was the most visible trace. Obviously the first wash hadnt gotten it all. Soaked the metal parts in Isocol (Isopropyl Alcohol). After an hours soak, i then scrubbed the metal parts with an old toothbrush - well its now an old one. Rinsed the metal parts in hot water. Gave the orings their own bath and rinse, not in Isocol. Reassembled slowly, making sure to be careful putting the orings back on (lubing with a bit of unflavoured juice). Rebuilt it and funky taste gone....

Im so happy with it that even having to pull it down to parts didnt even slightly miff me

stylemessiah

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 16, 2015
Sydney, Australia
Coming from a Sigelei Spark, I was worried it was going to be huge but it actually feels perfect in my hand. Loving it so far, haven't bothered checking out the EScribe software for it yet, but Im too lazy to boot my Mac into Windows at the moment hah. Luckily you can edit the material for the profiles on the mod itself. So far the chipset is seemingly a hell of a lot more efficient than Sigeleis in the Spark. Put a battery in it that was already down to 50% in the Spark when I came home from work and by now, the Spark would've just about killed the rest of it. Battery meter is just barely below the half way point on the VT and Ive been pretty much chain vaping it for the last two hours since I started using it. Love the location of the USB port too. If I ever do need to use the onboard charger, not only is it 1amp, but I don't have to lay the thing down and hope I didn't forget to close the KF5's juice control.

When you eventually do get around to Escribe, i would suggest getting the "early" firmware version of Escribe from here: View Single Post - Early Firmware - Evolv DNA Forum

Its the one 2016-08-08 EScribe 1.2 SP3

Dont be put off by it being "early" and it appearing below the recommended version, its been out and tested for a while.

The main reason i got it (and many others) was that it includes better stainless steel wire handling. Dont ask me why its not on the main DNA200 release page...

It can have one bug during the firmware update - after running Escribe, plugging in your mod, and uploading the new "service pack", you may (and i did) get the glitch that the battery bar shows 0%. Dont panic. Disconnect the DNA mod (hit disconnect in the toolbar), unplug it, then replug it, and hit upload settings in the toolbar....fixed, battery should be back to normal.

Just for ....s and giggles, heres a trace i did the other day with my Efusion DNA200 and using my SJMY Kayfun 5 clone. This is using my stock 7 wrap 316L SS on 3mm inner diameter at 0.57ohms and 185c set as temp

HI7Yqaz.jpg

Dark Red = set temp
Red = actual temp
Green = watts

Nothing wrong with the conductivity of the KF5...even on the live atty tester in Escribe it was as solid as my beloved Lemo 2's

I only vape normally at around 11 watts in power mode. With the DNA 75 i can chain vape for over a day at 450 F without charging my LG HG 2. Amazing piece of equipment!

I use about 16w (in TC mode at 185c) of my available 200w :) I keep joking on my home forum that i should try selling the remaining 174w...

I get a long time out of the Efusions 1300mah, mostly because im usually stepchilding it by favouring my TreeBox :), i go weeks without charging it. Its getting a run today though, with the KF5 on top. Does take a while to charge at 1A...about 4 hours from empty. My 30q 18650's take 5.5 hours at 500ma...

Last edited:

OhTheAgony

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2011
Netherlands
I would be careful about recommending beta versions, it totally messed up the charging on my VT200. Even after a soft reset every freakin' single time I had hooked it up to Escribe it still didn't work correctly and it would only charge to 76% max, even though it would show 100% on the display.

I had to go back to an older version again (software & firmware) to regain full functionality of my mod.

I recommend holding off until there's a stabile version.

dwcraig1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2012
Imperial Beach, California
I would be careful about recommending beta versions, it totally messed up the charging on my VT200. Even after a soft reset every freakin' single time I had hooked it up to Escribe it still didn't work correctly and it would only charge to 76% max, even though it would show 100% on the display.

I had to go back to an older version again (software & firmware) to regain full functionality of my mod.

2016-08-08 EScribe 1.2 SP3 is not a beta version, it is what you will get from the main web page or what is shipping with new boards.

OhTheAgony

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2011
Netherlands
2016-08-08 EScribe 1.2 SP3 is not a beta version, it is what you will get from the main web page or what is shipping with new boards.

8-8 does sound recent, I guess I was using the version before that, although it also had the 1.2 SP3 designation..?

I am using that version of Escribe too, but I am afraid to update my firmware again since that experience, lol

dwcraig1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2012
Imperial Beach, California
8-8 does sound recent, I guess I was using the version before that, although it also had the 1.2 SP3 designation..?

I am using that version of Escribe too, but I am afraid to update my firmware again since that experience, lol
The only real reason to "need" SP3 would be if you are a ss3xx user, otherwise there isn't a whole lot if anything to be gained....IMO
The newer EScribe is much nicer though.

OhTheAgony

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2011
Netherlands
The only real reason to "need" SP3 would be if you are a ss3xx user, otherwise there isn't a whole lot if anything to be gained....IMO
The newer EScribe is much nicer though.

Yeah, I've played with 316L for a bit and I like that it is so easy to work with but I still prefer Ti1 for flavor and stability, so there's no real need for me.

I just like that you can use one program now for different devices. I wasn't sure how to set up two versions on the same pc as they both appeared to use the same file names and folders but frankly I haven't noticed much difference otherwise between the Escribe versions.

bigbob2322

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Jul 27, 2014
    Schiller PK IL USA
    Heads up everyone - I don't know how this happened but I was cleaning one of my Tobeco k5's today and a weird thing happened, dried everything and re wicked as usual,put everything back in place, filled up with juice , opened the juice flow and let it sit while I took a shower.

The first 5 hits were fine then burnt city. Re wicked again and the same thing. Upon close inspection I found that the bottom o-ring had somehow jumped up to where the juice flows to the wick.

With a dental pick I brought it back down to the bottom where it belongs. All is back to normal again. I for the life of me don't know how that happened but if you ever have those symptoms check the bottom o-ring on the deck. :)

Dubminer

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 10, 2016
    Heads up everyone - I don't know how this happened but I was cleaning one of my Tobeco k5's today and a weird thing happened, dried everything and re wicked as usual,put everything back in place, filled up with juice , opened the juice flow and let it sit while I took a shower.

The first 5 hits were fine then burnt city. Re wicked again and the same thing. Upon close inspection I found that the bottom o-ring had somehow jumped up to where the juice flows to the wick.

With a dental pick I brought it back down to the bottom where it belongs. All is back to normal again. I for the life of me don't know how that happened but if you ever have those symptoms check the bottom o-ring on the deck. :)
    That is weird. So it had gone over the middle deck ring and into the slot of the jfc just below the top deck o ring?you might want to check it is the correct size. My centre pin oring on 2 of my tobeco's was 5 times 1.5 instead of 7 times 1.5. The ring you mention is 10 times 1 mm.

stylemessiah

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 16, 2015
    Sydney, Australia

Its not exactly beta, its been out for over a month (and i quizzed the gurus before i installed it), and ive been running it with no issues (apart from the battery bar reset when flashing) for a month now...rock solid

Phassat

ECF Veteran
    Nov 9, 2014
    Planet Earth
    I own a SJMY Kayfun 5... while it is a very good build and reviews indicating that there is only little to no difference in quality versus the authentic one, I found that the Kayfun 5 leaks a lot when I forget to close the juice flow and has it sitting side way... it will leaks through the AFC.

I vape a lot on my bed before sleep, so sometimes I would just put it on the bed in sleep position and it will leaks.

I am going back to my Tobecco Hurricane so far. Hurricane has no leak whatsoever, even when I was on a plane and didn't turn it upside down when take off and landing, the hurricane just won't leak. It also didn't gobble the juice as fast as Kayfun 5

Kenna

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 14, 2014
    Texas, USA
    ^^^There could be a number of reasons …but the only thing that I can think of is something in the wicking is making that happen
    Or orings. I use box mods only, so Tobeccos are never laid on their sides, & never leak.

RocketRonnieRadox

Sep 29, 2015
    Well I have had a clone for a week now I am disappointed with the flavour.

Everyone suggests the flavour is great but I keep getting tasteless or slightly dry hits after re wicking an number of ways and ensuring the Cotton bites the juice holes.

I have been using a v4 and lite for a year so no stranger to wicking.

I am using kanthal A1 32 AWG 7 wraps 3mm and hitting 1.6 ohms

Getting the bubbles as expected when opening the jfc.

Next move is strip it down and inspect but any suggestions welcome as feeling frustrated

Dubminer

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 10, 2016
    Well I have had a clone for a week now I am disappointed with the flavour.

Everyone suggests the flavour is great but I keep getting tasteless or slightly dry hits after re wicking an number of ways and ensuring the Cotton bites the juice holes.

I have been using a v4 and lite for a year so no stranger to wicking.

I am using kanthal A1 32 AWG 7 wraps 3mm and hitting 1.6 ohms

Getting the bubbles as expected when opening the jfc.

Next move is strip it down and inspect but any suggestions welcome as feeling frustrated
    Try a smaller id coil, like 2.5 or even 2.0. If you have it 29 kanthal or 28. I found 3.0 id coils way less flavor. My build i am vaping right now is 29 ag kanthal a1 2.5 id i think 8 wraps 1.7 ohm at 11 watts. Really intense flavor. Which clone do you have?

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread