crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
.98(1ohm rough) 18 watts on a Fresh charge 4.2v
@ 3.7-3.8v 14 watts

I don't think your e-liquid is liking this much heat.
Are you wicks Charring?(Blackened, not light brown)

I have to say, I build the kayfun for a Straight Mechanical Mod at 1.4ohm
That is about 12 watts @ 4.2v and 10 watts @ 3.8

Still running the kayfun Drip Tip?

csantiago1911

ECF Veteran
Dec 19, 2013
United States
Tonight's build. .98ohm. Fires nicely from the inside out. Under the advice of "less is more" here is how I have it wicked and then with the chimney on.

This is wicked with 2 strands removed from the yarn. Just 2 strands through the coil.

Any corrections before I fill the tank and fire it up?

IMO less is NOT more when it comes to wick... there is a "Goldilocks zone" where the amount of wick is not too little and not too much... just right. That two-strand wick is too little for my taste... not filling the coil enough to ensure contact at all points inside the coil. I would re-wick it with 3 strands. I try to get very slight resistance pulling the wick through the coil, and will twist my wick to make it smaller while I am positioning it inside the coil. Once I have it where I want it, I fluff out the ends of the wicks... this will serve to "anchor" the wick inside the coil because the fluffed out wick legs will resist being pulled into or through the coil. I do all this positioning/twisting with the wick DRY. Only after it is positioned and laid correctly will I wet the wick.

My standard Kayfun coil looks like the one pictured on post 15 of this thread:
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/rebuildable-atomizer-systems/508564-kayfun-russian-wick-setup-works-great-me-2.html

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
Unfortunately I filled all of mine for the week :( - I do the 12hr thing also, so I can't look directly at any of mine.

If your wick is not burnt, you could re-prime and try Bump Vaping to see if it can handle short burst.
That is just bumping the switch for about 2 seconds at a time and releasing for .5-1 second between while taking a draw.
Keeps the coil from super heating.

I know it is getting frustrating, but if it were me, I would build a coil with 3 more wraps and try that. Drive the temps down.

Do you take Long Draws? 8+ seconds?

EDIT, I agree - slightly small through the coil.
Wick is NOT Charred - but may be slightly insufficient. (still think the power is to high for your particular e-liquid)

Remember - Tobacco flavors work best at High Heat. Fruit Flavors work better at lower heat.
Sugars Burn easily
People rarely say what they are vaping when talking about what ohms, etc. they are running.

Super sub ohm Cloud chasers often Vape Pure VG and water

Last edited:

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
1/4"-3/8" should be good
Don't over tuck it

You should be able to Soak the wick, place the Cap on the chimney and take a Vape straight off it.
good for 2-3 Pulls
Remove the top and soak it again. Repeat.

If it is Getting HOT - you are going to have to up the ohms

Last edited:

Elendil

Assclown Exterminator
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 28, 2009
IL USA
1/4"-3/8" should be good
Don't over tuck it

You should be able to Soak the wick, place the Cap on the chimney and take a Vape straight off it.
good for 2-3 Pulls
Remove the top and soak it again. Repeat.

If it is Getting HOT - you are going to have to up the ohms

I had already trimmed and tucked and filled by the time I saw your post.

Getting vapor. It is just very warm with again no taste. Not burnt. Just no taste at all.

The tank is getting warm. Not super hot, but pretty warm

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
Think of the inside of the Kayfun as a Dripper - seriously, it is just that.
You can work out many kinks with wick/coil design without fighting filling the tank.

Like - Raising the coil to allow better Air flow around the wick :D and testing to see if it has better flavor.
1) Wick needs time to season and Flavor will increase with use over a tank of liquid. (Silica usually acts the same way)
2) Do you have ANYTHING else you Vape that you can test with? Still concerned you have Flavor Block.
3) If you have something to use for the time being, do so. Keep the Tank off and fiddle with this a bit.
When you get the function you are looking for in Dripping mode, then it will be time to install the tank and test for wicking transfer and Air flow function.

I mentioned the Tip because a Big Bore tip seems to allow better flavor/Vapor as well as smoother vaping. If you wish to keep th look, there is room to drill the tip larger(lots of room)

Getting late, I've got to call it for now.
Later and good luck

csantiago1911

ECF Veteran
Dec 19, 2013
United States
My cotton wicks sometimes take a few pulls to break in before I get optimal flavor. Keep vaping it and see if the flavor improves. If it does not, then consider rebuilding another coil with 2-3 more wraps as crxess suggested. I noticed that several of my MBV fruity e-liquids deliver optimal flavor potency at ~1.3-1.4 ohms (on unregulated mech mods, using 18650 efest and Sony VTC5 batteries) and suffer noticeable flavor degradation below 1.1 ohms (probably due to airflow limitations on Kayfuns in general). Your particular e-liquid may not like the coil that hot (resistance that low) in a Kayfun.

Jonathan Rizo

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 9, 2013
Riverside, California, United States
Hmm, have you been smoking cigs at all recently? I'm thinking the lack of flavor could even be coming from smoking or just burnt taste buds or something. It happens to us all sometimes, even with just being sick or whatever. Maybe the coil is getting too hot for your juice, it's been asked but I haven't seen an answer as to what juice/flavor it is. Keep at it man you are close.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kryyptyk

ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2014
Austin, TX, USA
Just a note: You mentioned you're using MBV Butterscotch.

I have a bottle of that same juice but with 2 shots instead of your 4-5, and this stuff is foul. It smells fine, but when vaped its harsh and leaves a horrible burning taste with only a very faint remnant of butterscotch. I've left it alone for weeks now and vaped it every now and again to see if maybe it got better, but I think it's just a lost cause. :facepalm:

My advice would be to try a better juice, and ditch the cotton yarn. It's tricky to work with, and doesn't wick well in the Kayfun styles, as the amount of wick needed to fill the space far exceeds the diameter of yarn that can be fit inside a coil. Grab yourself some organic cotton balls, they fluff up quite nice to fill up the space, and wick much more consistently than yarn.

The key here is to not give up. Vaping has a learning curve, and rebuildables have the steepest curve of it all. Keep trying, and perfect your technique. If push comes to shove, see if a vape shop near you can build your RBA for you and teach you how to do it yourself. :)

Mr.Bungle

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2013
East Jabip, NJ
.98ohm
juice 50/50

I'm not an expert by any means, but...

Your setups look good except for the amount of yarn you are using. There shouldn't be any gaps between the wick and coil. The wick should just barely "drag" on the coil as you pull it through. Not enough wick will burn. Also, you can always add some fluffed wick material into the juice wells for a "reservoir" effect; kind of like the vertical coil you were trying before.

I would also ask if you have a variable voltage/wattage device you can build on? Like others, I'm worried you're putting the cart before the horse and trying to sub-ohm when as a beginning builder you should be trying for anything that works. In other words, shoot for above 1.2 ohms so you can tweak the vape with your device and maybe eliminate the burning by dropping the heat of to the coil.

I think you are getting really close to nailing it. Keep trying.

Ryuukon

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 19, 2013
Wyoming, USA
Seriously, at this point, I want to know if you live in Wyoming, because if you do, I will come by and show you how to do it, or just outright do it for you. You've suffered enough man.

That said...

I have a feeling it's the yarn. Even 100% pure organic cotton tastes "off" if you don't boil it first, or at least suffer through half a tank. Your coils are starting to look good, but it's the wicking you're having problems with. At first you were obviously using WAAAAAAY too much. Now you're bordering on "not enough".

But seriously, imo it's the yarn. I strongly encourage you to ask for help from someone who lives in the general vicinity. There must be a vape shop somewhere nearby that can help you, or at the very least a friendly vaper. We can put words in print until our fingers fall off, but it will never be as good as you seeing it up close.

Dan_The_Viking

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 27, 2013
Denver, Colorado
For the record, it is your 10,000 posts that made me believe you were trolling. I was just taking a shot in the dark I suppose.

Have you ever considered doing a regular coil and not a microcoil? I have found them easier to work with.

Also, why is it taking you 60 minute to wick a coil? That doesn't make much sense to me...

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
For the record, it is your 10,000 posts that made me believe you were trolling. I was just taking a shot in the dark I suppose.

Have you ever considered doing a regular coil and not a microcoil? I have found them easier to work with.

Also, why is it taking you 60 minute to wick a coil? That doesn't make much sense to me...

Can you troubleshoot and rebuild a Microwave?
Different people have different interest, skill levels and understanding of things in life. Takes time and practice to adapt.:)

Last edited:

cramptholomew

ECF Veteran
Jul 2, 2013
Maryland
Here's how I do it:

ZpWxwXJ.gif

At LEAST 4ml of liquid was harmed in this how to. In my haste to make this for you, I neglected to attach the chimney cap, and proceeded to "fill" my Kayfun clone onto my desk. "why isn't this filling?" I hope it helps!

Attachments

• complete.jpg
    complete.jpg
    5 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread