Attention ECF members and CASAA members!! Call to Action for New York!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kristin

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
CASAA - Wisconsin
casaa.org
Let's do it again!!

We stopped them in Illinois, Maryland, California and Utah, but the war is not over!! Now we must shift our attention to New York. Remember - if even ONE state goes down, the rest will easily follow. So, even if you don't live there, this WILL affect YOU!

On April 27th, the New York Senate Health Committee will be meeting and may address Bill S7234, which would stop sales of all e-cigarettes in New York state. This would affect both consumers and New York-based ecig companies!

Link to Bill: S7234 - NY Senate Open Legislation - Prohibits the sale of electronic cigarettes to minors and items not defined as a tobacco product or approved by the FDA as a tobacco use cessation or harm reduction - New York State Senate

The time and room number of this meeting in Albany, NY has not yet been established nor is it confirmed that they will address S7234. We will post and contact people directly when it is firmly scheduled. We should know for certain by this Thursday.

What you can do:

1. Watch the video and read the info posted on the coalition web site: Vapers Coalition - Protecting your Right to Vape

2. If you live in New York and want be a part of the contingent that is attending the meeting to oppose Bill S7324, please contact ECF member, Yvilla (E-Cigarette Forum - View Profile: yvilla) by private message with your name and a way to contact you (email or phone.) If you aren't allowed to PM, email me at knoll-marsh@casaa.org. Yvilla, along with other coalition members, is leading this call to action, so she is the one to talk to!

You will NOT be required to speak at this meeting - just show up and be counted. This is what made the difference in Illinois!

We encourage (but not required) you to write down a statement of your opinion about the proposed ban and your experience with e-cigs and bring it along. They will be collected before the meeting and given to the committee afterwards for review.

3. If you find you cannot make the meeting (or even if you can), we encourage you to write and/or call the committeee members and express your opinion. It is STRONGLY recommended that residents do NOT email, as they are largely ignored. You can use the pre-written letter in the link below, just send it by mail - get the USPS confirmation service, if you can.

Send it to:
Senator (Fill in the name from the list below)
Legislative Office Building
Albany, New York 12247

Here are names and links to the direct addresses, email and phone numbers of the 17 committee members:
Tom Duane, chairman
Hugh Farley
Kemp Hannon
Craig Johnson
Sen. Jeff Klein
Sen. Carl Kruger
Sen. William J. Larkin Jr.
Sen. Betty Little
Sen. Velmanette Montgomery
Sen. Stephen M. Saland
Sen. John L. Sampson
Sen. Andrea Stewart-Cousins
Sen. Antoine M Thompson
Sen. David J. Valesky
Sen. George Winner
Sen. Catharine Young

4. If you do NOT live in New York or you do, but can't write or call, please use the preformatted email found here: Help CASAA stop the bans!

Just click the link and your email system should open with the email addresses of all committee members AND a pre-written letter. VERY QUICK & EASY!

You may add any comments you wish or write your own statement. Just please remember to SIGN YOUR NAME!

Let's have a great showing in New York and get another win for the right to vape!!

Last edited:

yvilla

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2008
Rochester, NY
A minor correction for those emailing or writing: In the Senate, the bill is S7234.

Also, for those planning on attending, please be aware that it is not yet certain the bill will be on the Senate Health Committee agenda for April 27th.

This is still only a possibility as of right now, and we hope people will do everything they can to keep the date available for a trip to Albany. However, we should know for certain by the end of this Thursday, and I will let everyone who contacts me about attending know when I find out.

kristin

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
CASAA - Wisconsin
casaa.org
A minor correction for those emailing or writing: In the Senate, the bill is S7234.

Also, for those planning on attending, please be aware that it is not yet certain the bill will be on the Senate Health Committee agenda for April 27th.

This is still only a possibility as of right now, and we hope people will do everything they can to keep the date available for a trip to Albany. However, we should know for certain by the end of this Thursday, and I will let everyone who contacts me about attending know when I find out.
Sorry, Yolanda. For some reason the legislature web page says A9529 (that's what is on the coalition web site, too) and I didn't think that looked right, lol!

We better change that on the coalition site. I found the right link and changed it above.

kristin

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
CASAA - Wisconsin
casaa.org
The pre-formatted letter on the coalition CASAA page is correct - it speaks to S7234.

Yes, I know that letter is correct. I meant on this page: htpp://vaperscoalition.org

It says "NY bill A 9529 would stop sales of all e-cigarettes in New York.. which is important…. If New York or California falls… the states will all fall one at a time!
A9529 - NY Senate Open Legislation - Prohibits the sale of electronic cigarettes to minors and items not defined as a tobacco product or approved by the FDA as a tobacco use cessation or harm reduction - New York State Senate"

yvilla

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2008
Rochester, NY
When will we know if it is on the agenda?

According to the Chair's office (Senator Duane), the agenda for the Health Committee meeting on the 27th will be published on the Senate website on Thursday, now tomorrow. I spoke to two different people (being insistent with the first on knowing whether/when the bill was to be discussed), and that's the most I was able to learn.

beebopnjazz

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2010
PA
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread