Atty's resistance or "Ohms"

Status
Not open for further replies.

nephillim

Jun 30, 2009
Has anyone tried determining if the resistance on an atomizer changes when its nearing its end of life or just too dirty? This might be able to help us understand more about them.
I would test this theory, but I just started vaping and haven't *knocks on wood* lost any atty's yet.

Just a thought..

"i'm getting a little verklempt, talk amongst yourselves"

Majestic

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 11, 2009
N.E. Wisconsin
From my experience with the 901, the atomizers don't die gradually. They vape good one minute and are cold the next. I usually get around 3 ohms with a good atty and 1000++ ohms with a dead one. Dissection of the decedent usually shows a broken wire as the cause of death. The fact that a dead atty is still showing a high ohm reading is likely due to the wet gunk that adheres to the coil wires.

Majestic

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 11, 2009
N.E. Wisconsin
Mathematically speaking a dead atty would have infinite resistance, according to Ohms Law. just an observation.

True, but in the case of an atty the coil is often encased in a build up of gunk that allows for some connectivity even though the wire is broken although never 0 Ohms. From my experience with the 901, a dead atty's resistance is often over 1000 Ohms, but the needle is still on the scale.

Last edited:

jacko

ECF Veteran
Sep 25, 2009
NW Tennessee
I throw out my 801 atomizers when they read above 20 ohms. At that point, it is too hard to get them to produce any decent amount of vapor.

Before you throw these away, I will take a couple. I am working on a way to rebuild these,,,,, or even make a better atty, following some information on this forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread