Status
Not open for further replies.

SP013

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 14, 2019
Warsaw, Poland
Hello there,

Today I have a top-airflow MTL rta for review, the Intake MTL rta. It is the newest MTL tank manufactured by Augvape in collaboration with Mike Vapes.

Thank you @Augvape for sending me this RTA.

Specifications:

Packaging:

Augvape Intake MTL RTA
Bubble glass
O-rings
4 x Air inserts
4 x Reverse thread screws
2 x Clapton coils
User Manual

Review:

Overall, it is properly machined, all threading feels smooth. I do however think the finishing could have been cleaner. Right out of the box there is some tiny scratches on the internal parts of the RTA on several places, nothing massive, but still.

As always, I appreciate the looks of Augvape products, especially because the branding is so minimally added onto the device. Only branding is the nicely carved in text Intake MTL on the chamber, and the ‘A’ logo from Augvape in the airflow ring and base of the tank. On the bottom of the tank you will find ‘Mike Vapes’, ‘Augvape’ and the serial number.

Taking apart the whole tank, I gave up on it to be honest. I am mainly speaking about the pre-installed glass; it is so tight onto the O-ring that I did not wan to go ahead and risk breaking it. You can take off the airflow ring for proper cleaning, which is nice.

Straight glass has 3.1ml capacity and the included bubble glass 4.6ml. For me 3.1ml is more than enough on this tank. Did not even install the bubble glass yet as the straight glass is still stuck to the tank .

Top-cap has a short ‘quarter turn’ to uncover the fill holes. It sits in place tightly meaning it would not open on its own while carrying in your pocket or bag. It’s ‘Crowned’ design makes it easy to grab onto and turn. The 510 drip-tip is a proper one for MTL, but it sits in there so extremely tight that it took some time and nerve to take it out. In the beginning I even had a feeling it was stuck and not replaceable. Fill ports are more than big enough for mess-free filling.

On the airflow ring you will find two sets of 5 air openings, not sure what was the necessity to go for two, they could have kept it with one set of 5 openings. It does have a stopper on both sides. Under the airflow ring you have two air-slot options, a single hole and a sleeve. What I find kind of odd is that I can get a much tighter draw fine tuning using the sleeve than the single hole. The difference between the largest airflow ring opening and smallest above the single air inlet is minimal. Best tight draw can be achieved using the tiniest hole above the sleeve, or just half of the tiniest hole. And yes, you can get a tight draw on this one. Overall, the airflow sounds very smooth as I would expect from a top airflow RTA.

This RTA has a dual airflow system as they include 5 different airflow screws that are screwed onto the base of the deck, under the coil. These inserts they do make quite a difference. I have mainly been using this as an MTL tank, but you can get a nice RDL draw from it as well by using the largest insert. I myself find it to vape best with the 2nd tiniest airflow insert. It is easy to screw those inserts out with a flathead, but getting them back in can be hard, it is difficult to get the threads properly aligned. It is kind of a pity that you can only replace those inserts with no coil inside as it sits right under the coil. Best way to find your airflow is to first test the inserts before adding any coil or liquid.

Very interesting straight chamber in the very top. When first looking inside the chamber I was a bit worried about the throat hit and flavor as normally chambers are oval shaped in the top, not a straight surface. But, it seems to not disturb the flavor and throat hit much.

Now it is time to look at the rather regular, but still unique build-deck. It is easy to unscrew the base from the tank because of the proper knurling on the base. It is a specific looking build-deck with the two tall airflow posts which pull the air from the top to the bottom and through the airflow insert. What is even more interesting is that the screws are reverse-threaded. Had to get used to this, but it does help that they added a tiny little note next to the screws showing which way to turn. Reverse threaded screws do have an interesting function though, it is much easier to install exotic coils as it is pushing the leads towards the metal ‘blocking-part’ so that the coil does not jump out.

You can use longer spaced coils or tinier touching coils on this deck without any issues, because you can put the coil legs at either side of the screw. Screws are proper Philips-head screws and they do screw out quite a bit making it easier to get your coil leg under it. Wicking ports are more than large enough for an MTL RTA, not much combing out action required when using up to a 3mm ID coil.

If its about the vape, it is very nice. Flavor is very proper (not the best ever) and it just feels very smooth vaping on this tank. It provides a nice throat hit as well and the airflow inserts and regulator allow for both a nice restrictive DTL hit and a very tight MTL hit.

Conclusion:

Always hard to give a proper conclusion on an RTA, because it’s so straight forward; easy to build and vapes very well.

Pro’s:

- Overall looks, minimal branding
- Proper machining
- Nice top-fill
- Proper tank capacity
- Both airflow ring and internal inserts
- Sounds very smooth
- Provides proper flavor
- Very nice throat hit
- Leak-free because its top-airflow
- Easy to build on with reversed screws and posts
- Tall screws on build deck
- Proper sized wicking ports

Con’s:

- Very hard to take of the glass out of the package
- Preinstalled drip-tip sits too tight
- Tiny finishing details, small scratches on internal parts
- Airflow could have been improved as the single hole airflow should have had a tighter draw.

Thanks a lot for reading, let me know if you have any questions about this RTA.

Take care,

Sjoerd

hittman

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Somewhere between here and there
    I've been giving some stuff away too. I need to go through my stash and sell some stuff that I bought just for stocking up but didn't end up using. However, with the vape mail ban starting soon here then maybe I'm better off keeping everything. Who knows. I can at least get rid of stuff I know I don't want to use.

SP013

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Mar 14, 2019
    Warsaw, Poland
    I've been giving some stuff away too. I need to go through my stash and sell some stuff that I bought just for stocking up but didn't end up using. However, with the vape mail ban starting soon here then maybe I'm better off keeping everything. Who knows. I can at least get rid of stuff I know I don't want to use.
    Your gear might be worth millions if the vape mail ban will be kicked off :)

Reactions: hittman
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread