The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Authentic Svoemesto Kayfun 5

Discussion in 'Heather's Heavenly Vapes' started by Bronze, May 11, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Brewdawg1181

Brewdawg1181 Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Aug 30, 2017
    Metro ATL
    Oops- guess that's what I meant - the airhole (sorry, still a noob!:yawn:)

So what about the 5s? It says that it has settings for you:
    upload_2017-9-16_9-50-36.png

• Like Like x 2
  2. Bronze

Bronze ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Aug 19, 2012
    The Tar Heel State
    The airflow on the K5 at its lowest setting was still airier than the Kayfun Lite. Have to get the MTL kit to reduce it to KFL levels. Anyone who tells you the lowest setting is equivalent to the KFL is simply wrong.

• Like Like x 4
  3. Brewdawg1181

Aug 30, 2017
    Metro ATL
    But this is the K5s
    The snip (which I guess I attached wrong) was from Creme de Vape's site. So I guess I'm confused- is the 5s simply a smaller version, and you're saying that even though they publish those numbers, the overall airflow at 2.2 isn't the same as the flow in the KFL?

Seems that could be true - as the 3 variables I can think of would be air intake holes, the air "port" in the deck, and the smaller of the chimney or drip tip.

Here's what the snip from Creme de Vape site says:
    The air flow settings on the Kayfun 5s are:

• 1.8mm (same as Kayfun Lite+, V3.1, Mini V2.1)
    • 2.2mm (same as Kayfun V4, Kayfun Mini V3)
    • 2.7mm (Kayfun V4 with 4S kit)
    • 3.2mm (the most air ever provided on a stock Kayfun)

• Like Like x 2
  4. Ca Ike

Ca Ike Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jan 20, 2014
    Cali
    First off deck air hole size under the coil (exhaust)plays less of a role than intake hole. With 2 1.8mm intake holes the 5 effectively doubles the air flow of the KFL. The effect of the mtl kit is similar to the effect of a DeLavalle nozzle on a rocket.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 3
  5. AstroTurf

AstroTurf Happy to be... Not Smoking!!! Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    So... It is Rocket Science.

• Like Like x 4
  6. Bronze

Aug 19, 2012
    The Tar Heel State
    What he ^^^ said.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Brewdawg1181

Aug 30, 2017
    Metro ATL
    Ah, of course! I hadn't thought of the DeLavalle effect! :)
    Had a friend in college that had to have some VD engineering, though.

BTW, what is the diameter of the Mini V3? And is there a standard term for the deck hole/exhaust/intake under the coil?

• Like Like x 2
  8. Katya

Katya ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Feb 23, 2010
    SoCal
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  9. Katya

Supporting member
    Feb 23, 2010
    SoCal
    I believe SvoeMesto calls it a"vertical air duct." :D Kayfun 3 mini comes with a 2.2 mm vertical air duct diameter, same as the K4.

• Like Like x 3
  10. Brewdawg1181

Aug 30, 2017
    Metro ATL
    Thanks Katya. After postng, I realized that there might not be a standard term because even though Kayfun design is widely copied, all attys might not even have a center "vertical air duct."

And I'm glad to know the diameter. Funny, but when I (re) started vaping this year, I liked pretty restricted flow...Naut 2 with only 1 hole open. 5 months later, and I've removed the airflow scew from my Mini V3.

So you're still using the K4? Exclusively?

• Like Like x 2
  11. Katya

Supporting member
    Feb 23, 2010
    SoCal
    AFAIK, most if not all do. Kayfun's design is still the gold standard...

My preferences have also evolved over the years. I now prefer a more open MTL. There are many factors that contribute to the overall quality of the vape--the overall design of the atty (Kayfun is still the one to beat), the airport diameter, the outside airflow intake, juice intake, etc. Then there is the size and diameter of the coil you build--the thickness of the wire, diameter of the coil, wicking material and technique, etc.

I try to make sure the coil ID is about the same size or smaller than the air flow port pointing at it for the best and most even coil heating and cooling. And since I like 2.5 mm coils nowadays, Kayfun 5's 3.2 mm opening is just a tad too large for my taste. I wish I could somehow reduce that airflow port to ~2.6 mm. *sigh* K4 works best with 2-2.2 mm coils, IMO. Again, this is just my opinion, others may (and will ;)) disagree.

No. I use all kinds of atties, but if you would like to talk about them, send me a PM and we'll find a thread suitable for a more general vaping discussion. Bronze likes this thread to stay on topic and I respect his wishes.

• Like Like x 3
  12. Brewdawg1181

Aug 30, 2017
    Metro ATL
    Agreed. Didn't mean to get off topic, but greatly appreciate the detailed responses!
    I've been considering the K5, but size and other issues have kept me on the fence...especially with the imminent Prime (thread has no real traffic yet) and the K5s (which has no thread) out there.
    I'm not just a noob at vaping, but at forums too. So I don't even know how (yet) to pm, but might have to.

Anyway, thanks...nothing like learning from other's experience!

• Like Like x 3
  13. Bronze

Aug 19, 2012
    The Tar Heel State
    Diameter is 19mm. Not sure of the official name of the hole. I call it the hole under the coil. :)

No problem discussing other attys here Katya. I just don't want clone discussion. It's proven to start world wars so I just put my foot down on that in the interests of keeping the peace. :)

• Like Like x 4
  14. Katya

Supporting member
    Feb 23, 2010
    SoCal
    The easiest way to PM someone: click on the member's avatar picture or username (to the left) and then click "Start a Conversation." A conversation window will open.

I knew about clones, but wasn't sure about other atties. Thanks for clarification, Bronze!

• Like Like x 3
  15. Brewdawg1181

Aug 30, 2017
    Metro ATL
    Okay, thanks on the PM stuff...seems easy enough, I'd just never done it. Robino sent me a pm to show me.

And yeah, Bronze - those Auth/clone "discussions" get pretty nasty. I could weigh in with my 2 cents on another thread, but it's like many political arguments: A lot of anger and venting, and nobody comes out with a changed mind- just a hijacked thread.

A question though - are you two arguing;), or are we all talking about the same atty? I don't have calipers, and it could be helpful in knowing which will be my next atty.

thanks!

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  16. Katya

Supporting member
    Feb 23, 2010
    SoCal
    Bronze and moi arguing? Never. We're just talking about different measurements; 19 mm is the outside diameter of the Kayfun v3 mini atty (as opposed to 22 mm diameter of full size Kayfuns Lite, 4 and 5), whereas 2.2 mm is the diameter of the airport hole (K3 and K4). Kayfun 5 has a 3.2 mm airport hole ("the hole under the coil" :)).

The airflow reducer kit changes the diameter of the airport hole (under the coil).
    Kayfun 5/5s MTL Airflow reducer set

The airflow settings you're quoting can be achieved using external airflow controls (you just lift the airflow control ring and rotate it to position the airflow holes over your desired setting, then push the ring back down over the setting).
    [​IMG]

Maybe this article will help you understand.

Taste Your Juice | NEW IN THE QUEUE – The SvoëMesto Kayfun 5 – 5/12/16

I know, it's confusing... :facepalm:

• Like Like x 3
  17. Katya

Supporting member
    Feb 23, 2010
    SoCal
    And if you really want to understand the Kayfun 5 and all of its inner workings, please watch this video--nobody explains it better than Phil. :)

• Like Like x 3
  18. Brewdawg1181

Aug 30, 2017
    Metro ATL
    Ha! Confused myself by asking too many questions. Got answers to both, and forgot I'd asked about the K3 overall dia.!
    Can't seem to find that "head slap in embarrassment" emoji.:)

• Like Like x 2
  19. Brewdawg1181

Aug 30, 2017
    Metro ATL
    Thanks Katya. Actually, I watched him do this one a quite while back, before I got the mini. Intrigued me, but really wanted something smaller. I do kind of wonder about the K5s, though. I couldn't find anything about it, except that Creme has it (and why isn't it on SM site, I wonder?). I'm not really sure what differences there might be other than size. Might be moot, though, if I go for the Prime. Probably won't be getting both.

• Like Like x 2
  20. magicmyst

magicmyst Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

May 10, 2013
    Raleigh, NC
    Who's got good price for the K5 these days?

Looks like I need to pick up a new one. One of mine appears to have threading that's gotten messed up. It was feeling a little "gritty" when screwing tank to base (JFC) and after a re-wick today, it won't thread all the way down (JFC closed).

I'm pissed to have to replace a Svoemesto that's only 1.5 years old. Never had any quality issues with my previous Kayfun Lites. I've invested so much time in learning how to build this tank, and love the vape, so don't really want to research and learn a new atomizer.

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.