Status
Not open for further replies.

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
I have to admit I've been using my Primes more than the nKFL. My V5 has been sitting for months and I might just fire it back up as I really enjoyed the vape. :offtopic: My ProtoVapor dna 75C screen went off the rails so I emailed ProtoVapor and they said ship it back and he'd replace screen. Well I mailed it back on Saturday to Hawaii arrived Monday and it is supposed to arrive here tomorrow. Both ways USPS Priority mail. It's the same cost to mail to Hawaii as it is to send to my neighbor across the street.
I've heard a lot of dna screens wigging out of late. Some send them direct to Evolv and they get new boards.

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
I have to admit I've been using my Primes more than the nKFL. My V5 has been sitting for months and I might just fire it back
I have four Kayfuns going. My 19, a Prime, a KM3, and recently my V5. They all kickass!

Pinggolfer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 28, 2013
The Clemson Tigers State
I've heard a lot of DNA screens wigging out of late. Some send them direct to Evolv and they get new boards.
I'm not sure, but the screen is separate from the board. My screen had a black hole in the center. Evolve had sent me a RA # to just replace the screen. I'm not sure if the black and white screens are part of the board. Evolve asked if the mod still fired, which it did.
31b78683e4975607597b40b5202014ad.jpg

Sent from my OnePlus 7 Pro TMO using Tapatalk

RadiusNick

ECF Veteran
Mar 10, 2017
glad i saw your post since i need to replace my Lavabox 75 and when i went to the Protovapor site i saw they only had one color option left and also blemished and since you already had two issues with your mod in a short period,I'm not sure about it anymore.
it seems like they're closing shop or something.

newyork13

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 9, 2013
western Massachusetts
Remember when it was common thought that the coil wraps could not touch each other or it would short out (and be dangerous)? Coils had to be spaced! :laugh:

Funny, I was just coiling/wicking a bunch of atomizers for a sick friend who was unable to do it herself. I decided to wick them with silica due to it's durability. This way she could dry burn and not worry about rewicking. So I did a silica build on one of her original KFLs. Loaded it up with juice and took a couple hits. Ugh Phew!!! God it was nasty!! Can't believe we used to vape with that crap. Deep sixed it and put in cotton. Told her to send me back the atties and I would rewick them if necessary.
Strange, all this vape stuff. I am slowly giving up on my byLeo Sophia atomizers (if anyone here knows them,LOL), just because I'm tired of dealing with the tiny ceramic cups and coiling them. But, that said, I've always wicked them with silica threads, and always thought the flavor was quite good. And I've used cotton and rayon in other attys.
Perhaps it has to do with the specific atomizer/coil/wick combination.

Pinggolfer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 28, 2013
The Clemson Tigers State
glad i saw your post since i need to replace my Lavabox 75 and when i went to the Protovapor site i saw they only had one color option left and also blemished and since you already had two issues with your mod in a short period,I'm not sure about it anymore.
it seems like they're closing shop or something.

I'm not sure if they are going out of business or not. They did fix my DNA 75C which will arrive in today's mail. I will say the mod is built like a tank. I dropped it a few times and no damage or dents. The screen was fine the night before but in the morning it had a black hole in it. If you look close at the screen you can see the big dipper. :)

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
Strange, all this vape stuff. I am slowly giving up on my byLeo Sophia atomizers (if anyone here knows them,LOL), just because I'm tired of dealing with the tiny ceramic cups and coiling them. But, that said, I've always wicked them with silica threads, and always thought the flavor was quite good. And I've used cotton and rayon in other attys.
Perhaps it has to do with the specific atomizer/coil/wick combination.
Besides my genesis tanks, I believe my first silica based rebuildable was the Penelope v1 by GG and that had ceramic cups. Not only that, you had to use R & NR wires to coil . GG stuff has very fine threads and constantly screwing in the cups and parts were a pain. But it was such a great vape and a beautiful tank that it was well worth it...when I bought my first kayfun, I basically didnt use that any more...

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
Now and again I notice half my wick works and the other half doesn't. It's readily apparent because I get weaker hits. I'll pull the deck and sure enough one side of the wick is darker than the other side. Clearly, one side is doing all the wicking. I could probably adjust the one side but I just put in a new wick and it's fine. For some reason, this problem has arisen on my KFL19 only. Prime, KM3, V5 no issues. Not sure why. The decks are all the same. At this time I'm going to blame laziness. Since getting my 19 I use it more than any other atty so I'm building it more. These smaller Kayfun decks are definitely more finicky that the original Lites. They need more TLC. Have to pay more attention to wick length and width and how it is placed in the well. The second you get lazy it will rear its ugly head.

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
Now and again I notice half my wick works and the other half doesn't. It's readily apparent because I get weaker hits. I'll pull the deck and sure enough one side of the wick is darker than the other side. Clearly, one side is doing all the wicking. I could probably adjust the one side but I just put in a new wick and it's fine. For some reason, this problem has arisen on my KFL19 only. Prime, KM3, V5 no issues. Not sure why. The decks are all the same. At this time I'm going to blame laziness. Since getting my 19 I use it more than any other atty so I'm building it more. These smaller Kayfun decks are definitely more finicky that the original Lites. They need more TLC. Have to pay more attention to wick length and width and how it is placed in the well. The second you get lazy it will rear its ugly head.
You know this thing about the half darker wick is something that has bugged me for many years. My belief was , and I mentioned this in one of my kayfun videos, that one side of the wick is more dense then the other (perhaps the trail side when sliding wick thru coil) causing the wick to draw liquid unevenly....since I have been vaping the nkfl, I noticed the same thing from time to time , but this time I had another thought that maybe it's just the tilting of the tank/mod that's causing this, so I marked the side of the tank where the channels are and it actually lines up with the way I tilt....it seems that I only get this dark side when i use a mod that puts the wicks in an orientation of the tilt, but other mods puts the orientation at a 90 degrees to the tilt and I dont get the darkening.....could be a fluke of this association and it can be something totally different, but take a note of this bronze and see if perhaps it's from tilting.....if it is, I'm not actually sure why this would happen . Or it still can be the density thing

rust

Aug 3, 2019
I get this too. When the tank is down to about a 1/4 fill, it starts to gurgle very slightly, then the tinniest juice drop appears in the 510.

I've tried three of the plastic screws and each had the same result. Currently trying different builds to see if I can fix it, but haven't found anything perfect yet.

It is something I can live with in the meantime. Sticking a thin twist of paper towel into the airflow hole then removing it will soak up whatever liquid is gurgling.

Update:
1.2mm XS center post fixed both the gurgling and condensation issues for me.

I got some plier marks on the hex section of the stock center post while removing it for a deep cleaning. I am neurotic about keeping my gear pristine, so I ordered the 1.2mm XS center post to have everything perfect again.

I hadn't even considered that a different post could affect the gurgling/condensation issue, but it turns out that something about the 1.2's design has fixed them completely. I'm using the same builds and same wicking, yet both issues have been 100% resolved. I've waited a bit to share this to make sure it wasn't a fluke. I'm now on my 6th fill with this new post and no sign of the old issues.

For anyone reading this considering the 1.2mm as a fix, but worried about it being too tight: I used the stock AFC at about 90% closed. With the 1.2, I'm using it at about 75% of the way closed. I've found that the difference between both posts wide open isn't super drastic actually, so it might be worth a shot if the gurgling/condensation is getting to you.

kas122461

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 15, 2013
Indiana, USA
Well tonight I installed the smaller bore center pin, to see if it will stop the leak. I went to refill and there was more leaking than I had ever seen before, I figured it was worth a try. I gotta say that this is a really tight draw. I am not sure this is going to work for me, this is just a bit too tight. I ended up taking out the plastic screw to see if it would open it up a bit, but it did not make too much difference. I will try it for a while and see about the leaking, but I will most likely go back to the original center pin. :unsure:

KAS

Edit: Okay scratch that, I ran about a 1/4 tank threw it, and it was just not enjoyable. There was no point in trying it any longer, much to tight for me, and I like a tight draw. :|

Last edited:

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
Well tonight I installed the smaller bore center pin, to see if it will stop the leak. I went to refill and there was more leaking than I had ever seen before, I figured it was worth a try. I gotta say that this is a really tight draw. I am not sure this is going to work for me, this is just a bit too tight. I ended up taking out the plastic screw to see if it would open it up a bit, but it did not make too much difference. I will try it for a while and see about the leaking, but I will most likely go back to the original center pin. :unsure:

KAS

Edit: Okay scratch that, I ran about a 1/4 tank threw it, and it was just not enjoyable. There was no point in trying it any longer, much to tight for me, and I like a tight draw. :|
At least you tried.

rust

Aug 3, 2019

Oh man, my sincere apologies. I hate to have misled you or anyone else :(

My experience with it has been good, but perhaps my opinion/tastes are faulty.

I am willing to purchase the pin from you if you would like to recoup your cost. I am in the US, and will pay the postage too.

kas122461

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 15, 2013
Indiana, USA
Oh man, my sincere apologies. I hate to have misled you or anyone else :(

My experience with it has been good, but perhaps my opinion/tastes are faulty.

I am willing to purchase the pin from you if you would like to recoup your cost. I am in the US, and will pay the postage too.

That is not necessary, I think I bought my pin long before you posted, it just took me a while to try it. I don't think anything I have every vaped off of, has ever had this tight of a draw. :|

KAS

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl

KAS

Just a guess, but it would seem to me the tighter the af, the more chances of more gurgling. A tighter draw should bring up more juice and if theres any wicking issues, this tighter af could intensify the issues, so what you experienced makes more sense than installing a tighter af and it actually fixing the gurgling issues. I'm glad it worked out for rust, but cannot figure how it would do so unless the original pin was loose, defective, etc. Sometimes I think these tanks have a conscious and perhaps it just didnt like the bigger af so it leaked on purpose

Pinggolfer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 28, 2013
The Clemson Tigers State
That is not necessary, I think I bought my pin long before you posted, it just took me a while to try it. I don't think anything I have every vaped off of, has ever had this tight of a draw. :|

KAS
Are you finished with the nKFL? Or back to original pin?

Sent from my OnePlus 7 Pro TMO using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread