Status
Not open for further replies.

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
I love those drip tips, it has the perfect bore hole for me, I never found anymore like them. everything is all wide bore now. :(

KAS
I think I still have a bunch of those nipples...I kind of like tight draws, but those were crazy tight...it is a little hard now to find Ole school tips with new school materials and designs. Also, besides the crazy bore sizes today, most are so darn short also....my personal preference is a bore of 4 mm, width of 9mm, and a length of 12mm (not counting base). Trying to find these type in stock is tough

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
Amen. And some like both.
They're so different for me, that I just have a hard time understanding how someone likes both. But I guess in the wide world of atty's (of which I've only tried a handful of mtl's), they might me more similar than they are different.
Brew, I know you probably tried this in the prime, but figured I would ask . I know you mentioned you like a good amount of cotton in your coil, as you should, but how much do you think you reduce the tails? I made this error when I got my prime because I had 22mm tank in my head and although the prime and km3 decks are the same, subconsciously I was not trimming my tails as much as my km3...once I realized they were the same deck, everything was fine, but at first I definitely had to much in those channels. ..now you just may be one that has or can detect minor or major differences and just don't like the flavor on this one. For me, the number one thing that effects flavor on this tank is not quit enough thru coil and to much in channels. ...I can always tell if I have the correct amount in channels by the JC....if it takes more then 1.25 to 1.5 turns to see bubbles, you have to much

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
Brew, I know you probably tried this in the prime, but figured I would ask . I know you mentioned you like a good amount of cotton in your coil, as you should, but how much do you think you reduce the tails? I made this error when I got my prime because I had 22mm tank in my head and although the prime and km3 decks are the same, subconsciously I was not trimming my tails as much as my km3...once I realized they were the same deck, everything was fine, but at first I definitely had to much in those channels. ..now you just may be one that has or can detect minor or major differences and just don't like the flavor on this one. For me, the number one thing that effects flavor on this tank is not quit enough thru coil and to much in channels. ...I can always tell if I have the correct amount in channels by the JC....if it takes more then 1.25 to 1.5 turns to see bubbles, you have to much

I concur. Got to reduce the width of the tail ends.

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2017
Metro ATL

I concur. Got to reduce the width of the tail ends.
Actually, I never really thinned them. Well, maybe a few times when they appeared particularly full, I'd trim a little off the outer edges. I used cotton bacon, 0.28g ss, 2.5mm, 8-9 wraps, and never really tasted to much wick with KM3. My last mini build was really too much cotton, in a hurry, and reminded me of the reduced TH and wick taste I was getting in the Prime.
So you're probably right- it may not make it perfect for me, but should help. Although the deck & chimney are so similar between the KM3 & Prime, there may be something about the airflow that accentuates the wick flavor, and also reducing TH for me. Maybe the mini is just a little more forgiving in that area, and I can get Prime at least to acceptable. That'd be great, because I love it in every other aspect. I just got my Rayon yesterday, and I'm going to try the Prime with that this weekend, with the thinner tails. I tried it in the KM3 last night (thinned tails a lot), and was getting really big TH with Rayon, at least so far. So maybe that'll be the ticket.

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
Actually, I never really thinned them. Well, maybe a few times when they appeared particularly full, I'd trim a little off the outer edges. I used cotton bacon, 0.28g ss, 2.5mm, 8-9 wraps, and never really tasted to much wick with KM3. My last mini build was really too much cotton, in a hurry, and reminded me of the reduced TH and wick taste I was getting in the Prime.
So you're probably right- it may not make it perfect for me, but should help. Although the deck & chimney are so similar between the KM3 & Prime, there may be something about the airflow that accentuates the wick flavor, and also reducing TH for me. Maybe the mini is just a little more forgiving in that area, and I can get Prime at least to acceptable. That'd be great, because I love it in every other aspect. I just got my Rayon yesterday, and I'm going to try the Prime with that this weekend, with the thinner tails. I tried it in the KM3 last night (thinned tails a lot), and was getting really big TH with Rayon, at least so far. So maybe that'll be the ticket.
The wells cannot be jammed up with cotton. That means the tails cannot be too long (no lower than the well bottom) or too wide (cut the width down in half). You need space to the sides of the wick in the well. The amount of cotton inside the coil should not influence the tail ends.

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
Rayon is great imo....the only time I use cotton is doing certain tests because most others use it......with a 2.5mm coil, you can get away with not trimming tails if your one who doesn't use a lot of cotton thru coil....you can get a pretty good vape that way if you really open JF... but imo, you get a better vape with cotton if you pack it with more cotton, and that little extra pack means trimming tails....I would venture to say the last time you wicked the km3, that you didn't have to much in coil, but a bit to much in the channels....with rayon and a 2.5 coil, you definitely need a bunch in coil and definitely need to trim tails in the prime or km3...if you dont, you will be losing flavor for sure....this is my go to, rayon and 2.5 and with 28g, (i use 26) you might have to really compress and nail hold your coil to not deform, or slightly twist the entire wick, then untwist once in....28g and rayon is a bit tougher then the 26g...once you have the rayon thru, your going to notice how bushy the tails are, so reducing them at least 20 percent is necessary. ...it takes time with a new wicking material to get just right, but once you do, it's definitely worth it....now you also can have to little in channels and when that happens, you get juice seepage (only in km3,for some reason haven't gotten this in the prime) at the bottom of tank. I try to teeter this amount for best results.

Last edited:

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2017
Metro ATL
The wells cannot be jammed up with cotton. That means the tails cannot be too long (no lower than the well bottom) or too wide (cut the width down in half). You need space to the sides of the wick in the well. The amount of cotton inside the coil should not influence the tail ends.
Yeah, I'm always careful with the length, and make sure to tuck from underneath, to keep the fiber straight, just to touch the deck. Then I usually insert a needle thru the side slots of the deck to make sure the wick ends aren't flattening out on the juice flow holes.
I just rewicked it, but thinned the tails a lot thinner than I usually do. Rather than use the rayon I'm not very experienced with yet, I used cotton to get a better comparison. And it does make a pretty big difference. It's still not KM3 quality to me, but does give more flavor, while removing some of the wick flavor. It's still a little "softer" vape than KM3 to me. But I think if I keep working with it, I might be able to make it usable for an auxiliary tank. And from my first KM3 tank of rayon, it appears to add "sharpness" and TH to it - so it should help the Prime, too.

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2017
Metro ATL
Rayon is great imo....the only time I use cotton is doing certain tests because most others use it......with a 2.5mm coil, you can get away with not trimming tails if your one who doesn't use a lot of cotton thru coil....you can get a pretty good vape that way if you really open JF... but imo, you get a better vape with cotton if you pack it with more cotton, and that little extra pack means trimming tails....I would venture to say the last time you wicked the km3, that you didn't have to much in coil, but a bit to much in the channels....with rayon and a 2.5 coil, you definitely need a bunch in coil and definitely need to trim tails in the prime or km3...if you dont, you will be losing flavor for sure....this is my go to, rayon and 2.5 and with 28g, (i use 26) you might have to really compress and nail hold your coil to not deform, or slightly twist the entire wick, then untwist once in....28g and rayon is a bit tougher then the 26g...once you have the rayon thru, your going to notice how bushy the tails are, so reducing them at least 20 percent is necessary. ...it takes time with a new wicking material to get just right, but once you do, it's definitely worth it....now you also can have to little in channels and when that happens, you get juice seepage (only in km3,for some reason haven't gotten this in the prime) at the bottom of tank. I try to teeter this amount for best results.

Was typing the post above while you were posting this. Yeah, with the rayon, I twisted and got quite a bit in, and did deform a little...had to insert a small knife blade to separate last wrap afterward. And thinned quite a bit. Working pretty good, liking it so far. I didn't want to try it yet on the Prime. I wanted to see what trimming the cotton did for it first.

Last edited:

kas122461

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 15, 2013
Indiana, USA
I must be the only one who uses 30g. I never see any references to it, lol!! I’m still using the very first spool I ever bought! [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You are not alone I still use it, I just built a coil with it a few min ago. :)

KAS

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
Yeah, I'm always careful with the length, and make sure to tuck from underneath, to keep the fiber straight, just to touch the deck. Then I usually insert a needle thru the side slots of the deck to make sure the wick ends aren't flattening out on the juice flow holes.
I just rewicked it, but thinned the tails a lot thinner than I usually do. Rather than use the rayon I'm not very experienced with yet, I used cotton to get a better comparison. And it does make a pretty big difference. It's still not KM3 quality to me, but does give more flavor, while removing some of the wick flavor. It's still a little "softer" vape than KM3 to me. But I think if I keep working with it, I might be able to make it usable for an auxiliary tank. And from my first KM3 tank of rayon, it appears to add "sharpness" and TH to it - so it should help the Prime, too.
That's how I feel about rayon, it gives a "sharpness" compared to cotton....and actually that's how I feel when comparing kanthal to SS, imo kanthal has a sharper kick to it.

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2017
Metro ATL
Hmmm. Hadn't heard that about kanthal. I started with 316L, and it's all I used. Shame I just ordered a bunch of SS, I should have put a spool of kanthal in the order, just to try.
Prime definitely is improved a little with cotton thinned, but now it's beginning to gurgle. Must've overdone the thinning.
BTW, I know how to clear from below the deck by blowing thru an intake hole on mini, but how do you do it with the Prime? Or does it even build up there on Prime?

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2017
Metro ATL
Any have an issue with tasting cotton with the Kayfun Prime after rewicking? I'm using Koh Do Gen cotton. Usually notice it for the few first hours. Not sure if the cotton is just breaking in, or how I'm wicking it. Not getting dry hits, just a cotton taste.
Yes...look at some of the posts above- I had the same issue, but it wasn't going away. Was pretty strong on my standard wicking method. I thinned tails (cotton bacon 2) from what I normally used on KM3, and it reduced the wick flavor a lot. But I'm on my first wick trying it that way, and may have thinned too much, as I'm getting a little gurgling now. But Prime definitely seems to be doing something to accentuate the wick flavor if you're one who puts a pretty firm wick in your coil, and doesn't normally thin the tails. Give it a try - didn't make it perfect for me yet, but it helps.

Thunderthud54

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 15, 2016
Tallahassee, Florida
Wow, you must really like it tight. I just compared the draw on the smallest hole to an old iclear 16, Smok Trophy V2, and even an old NJoy. About the same as the iclear, and tighter than the Smok. Might be a tiny bit looser than the NJoy.
Tight enough for me, I just can't get any throat hit on the Prime.

Didn't know Berserker made a mini - is it supposed to have the same issues as the original?

Hi Brewdawg,

Are you still not getting the flavor you wanted in the Prime as well? Or have you been able to make adjustments and get them? I’m very interested in your answer, even though am getting a replacement soon (I may get a different Kayfun tho). It could very well be because I’m also a menthol flavor person typically (not exclusively tho) or because the air flow issue effected the vape, but the Prime changed the flavor of my top two menthol NET juices in a big way...ergo, my question to you.

Anyone:

Also Jac Guard B DNA75 question, if I may... I thought due to finish issues that they were coming up with a new finish on the black - am thinking now maybe they meant a silver 22Mm finish coming out soon? I want to purchase the 22mm version as soon as possible and am holding off on the black due to the finish coming off issue. I just saw another very recent review(s) on their website about the paint or w/e coming off. I know quite a few ecf’ers have purchased one recently, and am wondering what their (your) experience has been?

Last edited:

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2017
Metro ATL
Hi Brewdawg,

Are you still not getting the flavor you wanted in the Prime as well? Or have you been able to make adjustments and get them? I’m very interested in your answer, even though am getting a replacement soon (I may get a different Kayfun tho). It could very well be because I’m also a menthol flavor person typically (not exclusively tho) or because the air flow issue effected the vape, but the Prime changed the flavor of my top two menthol NET juices in a big way...ergo, my question to you.
Improved quite a bit with thinning tails of wick, but I don't think it'll ever equal my KM3, regardless of adjustments I may make. It still just feels like something in the reduced airflow softens the vape, and makes it feel "softer" or more distant?? Just not as solid and clear as KM3, and apparently not as forgiving for my style. It's very nice, and most seem to love it, but something about it just isn't quite doing it for me. I'm going to try again with Rayon. I'm hoping, but just don't think I can make it as good. But then again, I don't do menthol - just straight tobacco. Try the thinning if you weren't already. It might do it for you.

Thunderthud54

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 15, 2016
Tallahassee, Florida
Improved quite a bit with thinning tails of wick, but I don't think it'll ever equal my KM3, regardless of adjustments I may make. It still just feels like something in the reduced airflow softens the vape, and makes it feel "softer" or more distant?? Just not as solid and clear as KM3, and apparently not as forgiving for my style. It's very nice, and most seem to love it, but something about it just isn't quite doing it for me. I'm going to try again with Rayon. I'm hoping, but just don't think I can make it as good. But then again, I don't do menthol - just straight tobacco. Try the thinning if you weren't already. It might do it for you.

I shoulder and thin my tails already. I have read most of this board’s posts, and you’re (we’re) not the first person(s) on this board that have said it changed their vape flavor - enough that several said would use certain flavors in a different tank. It’s all good, as I think just about all vapers learn pretty early on that NO one tank will do it all. Some get pretty darn close tho. So far, that seems to be the (authentic) Kayfun mini 3 for me. Love it!

Thanks for your reply - informative, and please let us know if rayon helps, too!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread