Status
Not open for further replies.

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
Hmmm. Hadn't heard that about kanthal. I started with 316L, and it's all I used. Shame I just ordered a bunch of SS, I should have put a spool of kanthal in the order, just to try.
Prime definitely is improved a little with cotton thinned, but now it's beginning to gurgle. Must've overdone the thinning.
BTW, I know how to clear from below the deck by blowing thru an intake hole on mini, but how do you do it with the Prime? Or does it even build up there on Prime?
I do get an occasional gurgle and that is the tetter I was talking about..it's probably a few strands to little on the tails. It also can be that the JF is opened a bit to much, or in some cases the coil is to short and where the wick meets coil, it's over the inside of channel and drips into air hole...so one of those 3 things can cause the gurgle. ..when I have had it, I just take one big vape and it's gone and it doesn't happen until my next refill. I think these days most prefer SS to kanthal, but I feel it's less spicey..btw even at 23 watts, I get the best flavor at only 1 turn of JC...so when you have those tails trimmed just right, try not opening JC as much

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
Any have an issue with tasting cotton with the kayfun Prime after rewicking? I'm using Koh Do Gen cotton. Usually notice it for the few first hours. Not sure if the cotton is just breaking in, or how I'm wicking it. Not getting dry hits, just a cotton taste.
Cotton taste is definitely from over stuffing the channels....next time wick as usual, but take a little bulk of the tails..I usually take a bit off of each side top and bottom....just don't trim all the way to coil, leave the trim slightly away, which keeps the shoulders full

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2017
Metro ATL
I shoulder and thin my tails already. I have read most of this board’s posts, and you’re (we’re) not the first person(s) on this board that have said it changed their vape flavor - enough that several said would use certain flavors in a different tank. It’s all good, as I think just about all vapers learn pretty early on that NO one tank will do it all. Some get pretty darn close tho. So far, that seems to be the (authentic) Kayfun mini 3 for me. Love it!

Thanks for your reply - informative, and please let us know if rayon helps, too!

I do get an occasional gurgle and that is the tetter I was talking about..it's probably a few strands to little on the tails. It also can be that the JF is opened a bit to much, or in some cases the coil is to short and where the wick meets coil, it's over the inside of channel and drips into air hole...so one of those 3 things can cause the gurgle. ..when I have had it, I just take one big vape and it's gone and it doesn't happen until my next refill. I think these days most prefer SS to kanthal, but I feel it's less spicey..btw even at 23 watts, I get the best flavor at only 1 turn of JC...so when you have those tails trimmed just right, try not opening JC as much

Makes sense to me. I got used to 2 full turns, using 100% vg, and never had issues. But with less wick blocking the holes...I'll try it.

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
I must be the only one who uses 30g. I never see any references to it, lol!! I’m still using the very first spool I ever bought! [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
i used 32ga back in the Vivi Nova days. Thought I was taking a quantum leap going to 30 ga on my KFLs. Then another quantum leap going to 28 ga when I got my P3 using the boost feature. Then another quantum leap going to 26 ga when I got the JAC and went to temp control. I figure i'll go to iron pipe with the next invention.

Hmmm. Hadn't heard that about kanthal. I started with 316L, and it's all I used. Shame I just ordered a bunch of SS, I should have put a spool of kanthal in the order, just to try.
Prime definitely is improved a little with cotton thinned, but now it's beginning to gurgle. Must've overdone the thinning.
BTW, I know how to clear from below the deck by blowing thru an intake hole on mini, but how do you do it with the Prime? Or does it even build up there on Prime?
Have you ever monkeyed around with adjusting your juice control? I use 70/30 and open my JC 1.5 - 2.0 turns ( to use as a reference).
Any have an issue with tasting cotton with the Kayfun Prime after rewicking? I'm using Koh Do Gen cotton. Usually notice it for the few first hours. Not sure if the cotton is just breaking in, or how I'm wicking it. Not getting dry hits, just a cotton taste.
Not me.

Hi Brewdawg,

Are you still not getting the flavor you wanted in the Prime as well? Or have you been able to make adjustments and get them? I’m very interested in your answer, even though am getting a replacement soon (I may get a different Kayfun tho). It could very well be because I’m also a menthol flavor person typically (not exclusively tho) or because the air flow issue effected the vape, but the Prime changed the flavor of my top two menthol NET juices in a big way...ergo, my question to you.

Anyone:

Also Jac Guard B DNA75 question, if I may... I thought due to finish issues that they were coming up with a new finish on the black - am thinking now maybe they meant a silver 22Mm finish coming out soon? I want to purchase the 22mm version as soon as possible and am holding off on the black due to the finish coming off issue. I just saw another very recent review(s) on their website about the paint or w/e coming off. I know quite a few ecf’ers have purchased one recently, and am wondering what their (your) experience has been?
Check out VaporSkinz for inexpensive but real cool wraps.

Leo Bak

ECF Veteran
Dec 10, 2015
Netherlands
I think these days most prefer SS to kanthal, but I feel it's less spicey..btw even at 23 watts,
It depends on the tank/build, whether i choose SS or Kanthal, i don't experience differences in taste, i suspect that might be caused by build-differences.

The Prime has a rather small builddeck, so i limit the ID and wraps of the coil. I prefer slightly spaced coils, which limits the wraps to 8/7 if i want to give the wick enough space. Also an ID of 2.5mm is as wide as i want to go on the Prime for optimal airflow.

With these specs set, i can then decide what material and gauge to use for the coil.

According to Steam-Engine Kanthal would give me this build:
  • 28G | 1.2 Ohm | 2.5mm | 7/6 wraps
  • 12W-180mW/mm2 to 14W-200mW/mm2 heat flux
  • ~18 mJ-K heat capacity
  • Sufficient space for optimal wicking and airflow, my preferred setup for the Prime.
SS316L however would give me this:
  • 28G | 0.7 Ohm | 2.5mm | 8/7 wraps
  • 14W-180mW/mm2 to 15W-200mW/mm2 heat flux
  • ~25 mJ-K heat capacity
  • 26G would already decrease the resistance and increase the heat capacity too much, if i want to limit to wraps to max 8/7.
SS430 would give me this:
  • 26G | 0.35 Ohm | 2.5mm | 8/7 wraps
  • 17W-180mW/mm2 to 19W-200mW/mm2 heat flux
  • ~35 mJ-K heat capacity, which is too slow for me
When using subohm DL tanks i prefer SS builds, when using the Prime i prefer Kanthal.

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
It depends on the tank/build, whether i choose SS or Kanthal, i don't experience differences in taste, i suspect that might be caused by build-differences.

The Prime has a rather small builddeck, so i limit the ID and wraps of the coil. I prefer slightly spaced coils, which limits the wraps to 8/7 if i want to give the wick enough space. Also an ID of 2.5mm is as wide as i want to go on the Prime for optimal airflow.

With these specs set, i can then decide what material and gauge to use for the coil.

According to Steam-Engine Kanthal would give me this build:
  • 28G | 1.2 Ohm | 2.5mm | 7/6 wraps
  • 12W-180mW/mm2 to 14W-200mW/mm2 heat flux
  • ~18 mJ-K heat capacity
  • Sufficient space for optimal wicking and airflow, my preferred setup for the Prime.
SS316L however would give me this:
  • 28G | 0.7 Ohm | 2.5mm | 8/7 wraps
  • 14W-180mW/mm2 to 15W-200mW/mm2 heat flux
  • ~25 mJ-K heat capacity
  • 26G would already decrease the resistance and increase the heat capacity too much, if i want to limit to wraps to max 8/7.
SS430 would give me this:
  • 26G | 0.35 Ohm | 2.5mm | 8/7 wraps
  • 17W-180mW/mm2 to 19W-200mW/mm2 heat flux
  • ~35 mJ-K heat capacity, which is too slow for me
When using subohm DL tanks i prefer SS builds, when using the Prime i prefer Kanthal.
I can definitely see how you determine wire and it's great to have different options for this now, not like years ago when it was just 32g kanthal or nichrome...like bronze mentioned before, moving from 32 to 30 was the bees knees...then when I moved to 28g, I was looked at as being reckless because of my resistance around 1 ohm...I don't really notice a difference in flavor either between both, I just seem to get a touch more TH with kanthal. It also could be in my head as well, sometimes one can create a difference in their minds, when it's really not there

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
I can definitely see how you determine wire and it's great to have different options for this now, not like years ago when it was just 32g kanthal or nichrome...like bronze mentioned before, moving from 32 to 30 was the bees knees...then when I moved to 28g, I was looked at as being reckless because of my resistance around 1 ohm...I don't really notice a difference in flavor either between both, I just seem to get a touch more TH with kanthal. It also could be in my head as well, sometimes one can create a difference in their minds, when it's really not there

It could be real too Dive. Who knows. But in my time as an ECF member I have long ago come to realize that we cannot force our likes/dislikes on others. We can tell them what has worked for us but in the end it is the beholder who has to decide what maximizes his/her vaping experience. How we each interpret "good" is likely different among us.

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
It could be real too Dive. Who knows. But in my time as an ECF member I have long ago come to realize that we cannot force our likes/dislikes on others. We can tell them what has worked for us but in the end it is the beholder who has to decide what maximizes his/her vaping experience. How we each interpret "good" is likely different among us.
Very true bronze, well said

Nailz

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Jun 6, 2013
    Wichita, KS
    Anybody tried 70%VG liquids in their Prime yet? If so, how have they performed? Are you using less cotton than say for a 50%VG liquid? And how many turns have you got the juice open to feed it?

Using 70VG in mine, I do thin out the cotton, but no problems with wicking so far, I do 2 full turns of juice control.

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    sarasota,fl
    Anybody tried 70%VG liquids in their Prime yet? If so, how have they performed? Are you using less cotton than say for a 50%VG liquid? And how many turns have you got the juice open to feed it?
    Run 70vg in mine all the time at 20 plus watts. Run rayon with trimmed tails and only turn JC one turn. I also use one juice that is 50/50 and use exactly the same wick amounts, no difference. ..the amount of wicking material imo should always be consistent

MKBarca

ECF Veteran
    Aug 4, 2014
    Northern Ireland
    I have been an exclusive Kayfun fan for quite a few years now. No other tank would ever even appeal to me unless it was produced by Svoemesto. However, recently, curiosity got the better of me and I purchased an insanely expensive tank, designed and manufactured in Greece. I'm sure most of you will know what that is.

I felt like a traitor but thought let's see what all the fuss is about.

Well, the outcome of it all is what I already knew all along. Svoemesto and the Kayfun series is the best option available for mouth-to-lung vaping. No doubt whatsoever in my mind about that, despite what other people might say.

Best flavour, best build quality, easiest to set up etc, definitely the Kayfuns.

Now that I've satisfied myself with all that I wonder if I can sell this expensive tank on. Never so glad to get back to vaping my trusty Kayfun Prime. Just thought I'd share all this with you folks. In case anyone else gets the curiosity kicking in, I honestly wouldn't bother looking anywhere other than a Kayfun.

Bronze

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 19, 2012
    I have been an exclusive Kayfun fan for quite a few years now. No other tank would ever even appeal to me unless it was produced by Svoemesto. However, recently, curiosity got the better of me and I purchased an insanely expensive tank, designed and manufactured in Greece. I'm sure most of you will know what that is.

I felt like a traitor but thought let's see what all the fuss is about.

Well, the outcome of it all is what I already knew all along. Svoemesto and the Kayfun series is the best option available for mouth-to-lung vaping. No doubt whatsoever in my mind about that, despite what other people might say.

Best flavour, best build quality, easiest to set up etc, definitely the Kayfuns.

Now that I've satisfied myself with all that I wonder if I can sell this expensive tank on. Never so glad to get back to vaping my trusty Kayfun Prime. Just thought I'd share all this with you folks. In case anyone else gets the curiosity kicking in, I honestly wouldn't bother looking anywhere other than a Kayfun.
    Other than a variety of drippers I have not bought any other atomizers in a long time. I found the best when the Kayfun Lite came out in 2013 and saw no need to drift from Svoemesto. Yes, they cost a few bucks but you have to buy them only once.

HBcorpse

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 23, 2013
    My "garage" of atties for daily use consists of several Kayfun 4's and several Calix units.

They are the two most reliable devices I've ever owned.

I've got a Prime, which I really like.

I also have several Billet Boxes with Exocets in them...and those are all great too.

But there's something about the Kayfun 4 that draws me back all the time.

I know to many, the v4 became the red headed step-child in the Kayfun lineup...but I love it.

For me, it's the most perfect Kayfun ever.

If the Prime had reverse threaded juice control, I'd have a hard time choosing between them.

But, after having my v5's tanks come loose while trying to operate the JC, thanks to that super stiff inner O-ring, I became an instant hater of the "forward threaded" juice control.

Thanks to that design, I stripped my pricy Steam Tuners clear tank for the v5.

Needless to say, I sold my v5's.

First Kayfuns I've ever gotten rid of.

But the money got me more v4's...so that was good.

I'm gonna add two more Primes to my arsenal...cuz it is a good atty.

I may have my machine shop drill hole #6 one more step up in the airflow...not that I can't use it as is, but 0.2mm wider would really make this a winner for me.

Sorry for the rant!

Bronze

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 19, 2012
    My "garage" of atties for daily use consists of several Kayfun 4's and several Calix units.

I also have several Billet Boxes with Exocets in them...and those are all great too.

I know to many, the v4 became the red headed step-child in the Kayfun lineup...but I love it.

If the Prime had reverse threaded juice control, I'd have a hard time choosing between them.

But, after having my v5's tanks come loose while trying to operate the JC, thanks to that super stiff inner O-ring, I became an instant hater of the "forward threaded" juice control.

I may have my machine shop drill hole #6 one more step up in the airflow...not that I can't use it as is, but 0.2mm wider would really make this a winner for me.

Sorry for the rant!
    This is what I was mentioning earlier. Each of us place different values on the same features which makes it impossible to tell anyone what they will like or not like. I could tell you I love the V5 (which I do) but I don't have any problems with the forward threading of the juice control. So I could have talked you into a V5 only to find you would not have liked it and sold it. Unless our opinions are qualified any discussion of what someone else might like would be futile.

Let me ask you, the Prime has a forward threading juice control like the V5. What is it that makes you keep the Prime but unload the V5? I actually have a noticeably easier time turning the V5 juice control versus the Prime. At least on mine.

MKBarca

ECF Veteran
    Aug 4, 2014
    Northern Ireland

Sorry for the rant!
    Yes. Something so majestic about the Kayfun V4. My favourite of all the Kayfuns. Huge nowadays but elegant because of the design at the same time. And I massively preferred the reverse threading on it. I don't despise the juice control on the 5 or the Prime. But definitely preferred the V4's way of operating.

MKBarca

ECF Veteran
    Aug 4, 2014
    Northern Ireland
    This is what I was mentioning earlier. Each of us place different values on the same features which makes it impossible to tell anyone what they will like or not like. I could tell you I love the V5 (which I do) but I don't have any problems with the forward threading of the juice control. So I could have talked you into a V5 only to find you would not have liked it and sold it. Unless our opinions are qualified any discussion of what someone else might like would be futile.

Let me ask you, the Prime has a forward threading juice control like the V5. What is it that makes you keep the Prime but unload the V5? I actually have a noticeably easier time turning the V5 juice control versus the Prime. At least on mine.
    My Prime is still quite tight to twist. The K5 definitely a lot easier.

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 30, 2017
    Metro ATL
    Other than a variety of drippers I have not bought any other atomizers in a long time. I found the best when the Kayfun Lite came out in 2013 and saw no need to drift from Svoemesto. Yes, they cost a few bucks but you have to buy them only once.
    Okay, you've got me curious, Bronze. I've been considering a dripper, mainly to test juices...but also out of curiosity. Would love to have recommendations from an MTL guy- what drippers have you gotten that you really like? Searching around, I've seen tons of MTL RDA's recommended, but only a couple of them show up more than once. And most of those are out of production.

Reactions: AstroTurf

Bronze

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 19, 2012
    Okay, you've got me curious, Bronze. I've been considering a dripper, mainly to test juices...but also out of curiosity. Would love to have recommendations from an MTL guy- what drippers have you gotten that you really like? Searching around, I've seen tons of MTL RDA's recommended, but only a couple of them show up more than once. And most of those are out of production.
    I've had lots of different drippers. The one I liked most was an Achilles by Titanium Mods. Just a private guy in the Ukraine. He quit making them (they were quite expensive) but then they were cloned and available from Frog in Fog. The Achilles is a titanium dripper and what I like about it was it was one of the first leakproof drippers (I hate leaky attys). The air hole was elevated high in the middle so juice could never go down the airway. Made of titanium it is super light. Easy to build on. It is a very tight draw, however so if you need air this one wont give it to you. I heard there was a Titanium V2 that had an adjustable airflow that had more volume. Here is a thread I started awhile back. It's been dead for nearly two years. You can find some useful links on the OP and read on if you care. Not sure what the availability is (if at all).

RDA - ACHILLES RDA by Titanium Mods

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread