Status
Not open for further replies.

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
Okay, you've got me curious, Bronze. I've been considering a dripper, mainly to test juices...but also out of curiosity. Would love to have recommendations from an MTL guy- what drippers have you gotten that you really like? Searching around, I've seen tons of MTL rda's recommended, but only a couple of them show up more than once. And most of those are out of production.
I'm not a dripper at all, but when I got into squonking a couple times I had tried the origen little tank...strictly mtl, very small dripper

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
I have been an exclusive Kayfun fan for quite a few years now. No other tank would ever even appeal to me unless it was produced by Svoemesto. However, recently, curiosity got the better of me and I purchased an insanely expensive tank, designed and manufactured in Greece. I'm sure most of you will know what that is.

I felt like a traitor but thought let's see what all the fuss is about.

Well, the outcome of it all is what I already knew all along. Svoemesto and the Kayfun series is the best option available for mouth-to-lung vaping. No doubt whatsoever in my mind about that, despite what other people might say.

Best flavour, best build quality, easiest to set up etc, definitely the Kayfuns.

Now that I've satisfied myself with all that I wonder if I can sell this expensive tank on. Never so glad to get back to vaping my trusty Kayfun Prime. Just thought I'd share all this with you folks. In case anyone else gets the curiosity kicking in, I honestly wouldn't bother looking anywhere other than a Kayfun.
Yep.....I have bought many hi end rta's and although some are great, and use them every day, my fav to date is the kayfun....but it's tough not to fall into, "maybe this next one is the game changer", so I buy....I should probably realize by now that no new rta is going to be so much different that it will blow me away....

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2017
Metro ATL
I've had lots of different drippers. The one I liked most was an Achilles by Titanium Mods. Just a private guy in the Ukraine. He quit making them (they were quite expensive) but then they were cloned and available from Frog in Fog. The Achilles is a titanium dripper and what I like about it was it was one of the first leakproof drippers (I hate leaky attys). The air hole was elevated high in the middle so juice could never go down the airway. Made of titanium it is super light. Easy to build on. It is a very tight draw, however so if you need air this one wont give it to you. I heard there was a Titanium V2 that had an adjustable airflow that had more volume. Here is a thread I started awhile back. It's been dead for nearly two years. You can find some useful links on the OP and read on if you care. Not sure what the availability is (if at all).

RDA - ACHILLES RDA by Titanium Mods

That one looks great, and I came across it in my search, thanks. Couldn't find it (at least not on a site I'd trust without recommendation). One that kept popping up listed as all time favorite from a few was LeMagister, no longer made. So I threw a cheap clone of it on an order for coil wire & bottles from FT. I'll see how that one does.

Still getting persistent gurgling on the Prime with the much thinner cotton tails, but flavor is improved. Still not near enough throat hit, though. I'm going to try it again with rayon as soon as I get around to it. So far my experiment with rayon vs. cotton bacon in KM3's shows that initial differences in flavor/TH/sharpness kind of narrow after a couple of tanks, but I'll see how they last.

HBcorpse

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2013
Let me ask you, the Prime has a forward threading juice control like the V5. What is it that makes you keep the Prime but unload the V5? I actually have a noticeably easier time turning the V5 juice control versus the Prime. At least on mine.

Both my KF5's had very tight juice control...even after trying different vape safe lubing methods...

My Prime has not once given me an issue so far.

I also feel like they designed the tank sections to fit together more snugly, to prevent them coming apart when moving juice control.

The v5 tank pieces always separated on me, so I tried a one piece tank from Steam Tuners...but the top threads that met the chimney stripped out when using juice control.

The whole thing was a disaster for me...which sucked greatly, as I am a SvoëMestö fan boy!

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
Both my KF5's had very tight juice control...even after trying different vape safe lubing methods...

My Prime has not once given me an issue so far.

I also feel like they designed the tank sections to fit together more snugly, to prevent them coming apart when moving juice control.

The v5 tank pieces always separated on me, so I tried a one piece tank from Steam Tuners...but the top threads that met the chimney stripped out when using juice control.

The whole thing was a disaster for me...which sucked greatly, as I am a SvoëMestö fan boy!
That's disappointing. My K5 JC is even looser than both my KM3s. Must be luck of the draw.

HBcorpse

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2013
That's disappointing. My K5 JC is even looser than both my KM3s. Must be luck of the draw.

Yeah I really wouldn't rule that out.

Even if SM has a 0.01-0.02 area of error in their machining, there's nothing to guard against a bad O-ring...even though I did swap several O-rings to test the device.

Made me sad to not be able to use it, again fanboy here, but hey...they got new homes!

And it was soon enough after launch (and the supply drought) that I recovered my funds (minus shipping).

But hey...it looks like the Prime has saved the day!

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
Yeah I really wouldn't rule that out.

Even if SM has a 0.01-0.02 area of error in their machining, there's nothing to guard against a bad O-ring...even though I did swap several O-rings to test the device.

Made me sad to not be able to use it, again fanboy here, but hey...they got new homes!

And it was soon enough after launch (and the supply drought) that I recovered my funds (minus shipping).

But hey...it looks like the Prime has saved the day!
That is my thinking. The o-ring. Machining can get those tolerances well within specs. I have less confidence in the o-ring. I wonder if the next size down or the same size from a different source would have done the trick.

Domejunky

Feb 28, 2017
A couple years back, In the original kayfun thread, I did a wick experiment because of dry hit issues many were having. Most were thinking these dry hits occurred because of to much cotton, so I decided to try various amounts . What I came up with , was that the only dry hit I could produce was from a coil that didn't have enough. I did 5 different wicking amounts , the last one was ridiculous in that I twisted the whole wick so tight I deformed the coil. Well that was the only wick that was to tight and although it didn't taste good, I didn't really get a dry hit. So basically , if you only twist the very ends of the wick and insert into coil, I found you couldn't add to much cotton into your coil, and it's actually a better vape, but I wanted to find out exactly why the way over stuffed coil lost flavor. Soon after this, I switched to rayon, so i never continued the experiments. With rayon, you definitely pack your coils, but trim your tails, so I often wondered why you stuff rayon, but most think you don't with cotton. Well I haven't really been thinking much about this lately until a recent thread by morten, so I broke out some ... cotton and stuffed a 2.5mm coil in my prime. I put a lot of cotton in there, I had to hold that coil with my nail, so it wouldn't deform and managed to slide in a big piece. I then trimmed the tails like I do with rayon and primed. Anyways after maybe 10 vapes, (took it a little to gain flavor) this coil broke in and is performing awesome. The flavor is spot on awesome , vapor is thick, no spit back and quiet. I still prefer rayon, but Imo, the wicking results are the same, put as much in your coil as possible without deforming it, then trim tails by 20 percent. Next time you rewick, give it a shot and share results

I've recently discovered Morten Oen via YouTube. I like his brand of pragmatic, kitchen sink experimentation

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
I've recently discovered Morten Oen via YouTube. I like his brand of pragmatic, kitchen sink experimentation
Yes , very cool stuff......but there is something in his voice that kind if puts me to sleep. I think he would make a good hypnotist

Dikkind

Nov 10, 2017
Also, can a mod which can give u a higher wattage give u more nicotine using the same build and wattage. I bought this new mod ‘double barrel’ (looks great with the prime) for longer battery life. But I seem to get a nicotine rush now. Even though im vaping at the same wattage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
Also, can a mod which can give u a higher wattage give u more nicotine using the same build and wattage. I bought this new mod ‘double barrel’ (looks great with the prime) for longer battery life. But I seem to get a nicotine rush now. Even though im vaping at the same wattage.

I have heard of different mods hitting harder even at same wattages but I never experienced that...although my mods only range from dna 30 to dna 75, all of them feel the same at same wattage...perhaps a dual 18650 might feel different, but just not sure. I know it's impossible for all mods to be calibrated the same, thus vary a little, but to feel it in the nic buzz is interesting. Now I can understand a mech hitting different from regulated at same power, but both regulated should be fairly close.

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
Does anyone have experience using clapton wire in the prime? Im trying out 2.6g core with 32g sleeve, both kanthal. .8 ohm. Not sure what to think of it.

I tried claptons both in the prime and km3 , but I believe it was 28/32? Not sure on the wire, but will check once at home...I bought a spool a couple years back and have tried it a few times...for me it was a pain. Because I use rayon, you have to use a bit more then cotton, and it was fiddly trying to hold that clapton as to not deform..the flavor was good however but honestly I couldn't tell much difference. They also seemed to burn out faster...I get a few months with kanthal and only like a month on claptons

LAwaters

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Feb 25, 2014
I tried claptons both in the prime and km3 , but I believe it was 28/32? Not sure on the wire, but will check once at home...I bought a spool a couple years back and have tried it a few times...for me it was a pain. Because I use rayon, you have to use a bit more then cotton, and it was fiddly trying to hold that clapton as to not deform..the flavor was good however but honestly I couldn't tell much difference. They also seemed to burn out faster...I get a few months with kanthal and only like a month on claptons

I’m curious - can you give details on the symptoms of the Claptons not lasting? I recently switched from basic micro coils to Claptons because of the dense warm vapor. Mostly they would short on me pretty quickly until I learned how to work with them. I have only had one that lasted maybe 4 weeks and looked to be oxidizing too much to keep running. I only do a brief dry burn and the wire is kanthal.

Leo Bak

ECF Veteran
Dec 10, 2015
Netherlands
Does anyone have experience using clapton wire in the prime? Im trying out 2.6g core with 32g sleeve, both kanthal. .8 ohm. Not sure what to think of it.
Clapton would give you more surface, causing you to use more wick and power too. IMHO the Prime is not optimal for such use, considering the limited deck space and airflow. Also the ID of the coil would be so limited that i doubt you'd get enough wick through it.

Maybe your double-barrel has a higher efficiency, so it gives more actual power than an other mod at the same wattage. Just lower wattage, if you feel you get more nic.

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
I’m curious - can you give details on the symptoms of the Claptons not lasting? I recently switched from basic micro coils to Claptons because of the dense warm vapor. Mostly they would short on me pretty quickly until I learned how to work with them. I have only had one that lasted maybe 4 weeks and looked to be oxidizing too much to keep running. I only do a brief dry burn and the wire is kanthal.
it's probably because the claptons we mtl vapors use are thin wires and for me using rayon, a flimsy coil gets moved around more so then 26g every time I rewick. ..this causes asymmetry in the coil which then causes other issues like micro shorts , inconsistent flow, and improper contact with wick. These issues along with 2 wires twisted together just shortens the life imo. I have always felt full wick contact to a symmetric coil is best for results and especially a clapton because of all the nooks and crannies and if it's underwicked and constantly moved the problems occur and shortens it's span.

LAwaters

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Feb 25, 2014
it's probably because the claptons we mtl vapors use are thin wires and for me using rayon, a flimsy coil gets moved around more so then 26g every time I rewick. ..this causes asymmetry in the coil which then causes other issues like micro shorts , inconsistent flow, and improper contact with wick. These issues along with 2 wires twisted together just shortens the life imo. I have always felt full wick contact to a symmetric coil is best for results and especially a clapton because of all the nooks and crannies and if it's underwicked and constantly moved the problems occur and shortens it's span.

Makes sense - thanks! I’m using 26ga with 36ga wraps and cotton. Pretty stable in rewick if, but still really easy to get those micro shorts. But the flavor is worth it for now.

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
Makes sense - thanks! I’m using 26ga with 36ga wraps and cotton. Pretty stable in rewick if, but still really easy to get those micro shorts. But the flavor is worth it for now.
That's probably why I had issues, this is what I have been trying....but even with this stuff, I'm getting low resistance. ..what resistance are you getting with that core claptons? Not sure why my pic didn't show, but I have been trying 28/36...

Nailz

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Jun 6, 2013
    Wichita, KS
    I use 28/36 single core clapton in all my MTL tanks, including the prime and have done for a few years, I love the flavor I get from them, I do 6 wraps around a 2.5mm bit to give me a 1.5ohm coil and vape around 20 watts, does give a warm vape, but that is what I like :)

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    sarasota,fl
    I use 28/36 single core clapton in all my MTL tanks, including the prime and have done for a few years, I love the flavor I get from them, I do 6 wraps around a 2.5mm bit to give me a 1.5ohm coil and vape around 20 watts, does give a warm vape, but that is what I like :)

Are you sure on that resistance? Although it's been a while, I could of sworn I was doing 5 or 6 wraps at 2.5mm with the same clapton wire and getting like .7 ohms...not that I thought that was to low, because that's my range anyways but 1.5 ohms isn't even close to what I remember. ..my spool says 36/28, can it also be 28/36?

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread