Status
Not open for further replies.

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
I see there are automatic and manual setups in the vaping universe.
On my next device, I expect to purchase an Automatic battery powered device. Sounds more enjoyable.

Why would one choose a Manual? What are the benefits there?

When I started I used cigalikes with automatic batteries; it's a natural transition;
but once you get higher powered gear, by then you get used to manual - which just means you press a button - batteries/mods.

automatic batteries depend on a air pressure switch, which could get activated by breeze blowing.

Papa Lazarou

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 15, 2008
UK
In the early days almost all e-cigs used automatic batteries activated by drawing on the atty. Now they are rare, except in cigalikes.

Automatic advantages

- No button to press.
- Experience arguably closer to smoking, at least from the point of view of the action of it.

Automatic disadvantages

- Switches and pressure sensors often unreliable - oversensitive ones may self fire, or alternatively might need very strong draws to activate.
- Switch may be damaged by e-liquid leak.
- Automatic batteries do not work with many modern advanced atty's and tanks - you are mostly limited to older style cartomizers.
- Very limited choice of automatics now, at least once you get beyond the cigalikes which are mostly automatic. Anything "advanced" or higher performance will not have an automatic switch.

As already said, I think most would agree that a manual switch gives you more control. I've read once a modder was talking about the possibility of a more advanced automatic, with variable power controlled by the strength of draw, but I don't know if it ever got off the ground.

3mg Meniere

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 24, 2013
Tomah Wisconsin
When your atty is nearly dry, you might want to draw without firing to get some more juice in there, to prevent a dry hit. When your coil heats slowly, and there is plenty of juice, you might want to fire before drawing, to get more vape. More freedom to do it like you want.

Automatics are good for beginners, but people usually grow beyond them rather quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread