Automotive power sockets and vaping: the correct info

Status
Not open for further replies.

yzer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2011
Northern California
There have been several posts recently that touched upon the subject of automotive power sockets. Unfortunately, some of these posts provided incorrect information. The threads have been closed so I opened this thread. This topic concerns automotive power sockets and nothing else.

There are three types of power outlets comonly found in US made cars and trucks.

1. The cigarette lighter. This is a 12VDC socket. It's the original 12VDC socket and powers a cigarette/cigar lighter. It can also be used to power automotive 12VDC accessories.

2. The accessory power outlet. This is currently provided in addition to or instead of the cigarette lighter in cars and trucks. It too, provides 12VDC. The plugs can be also used in cigarette lighters. The only real difference between the two is that an accessory socket has a plastic cover cap instead of a cigarette lighter.

Note: The DC power from these two outlet types is identical but not always 12VDC. When the engine is turned off these sockets provides a nominal 12VDC. When the engine is running the voltage may be as high as 14.5VDC. devices designed for use with these sockets are typically designed to run on 10 to 14.5VDC. The same thing goes when these sockets and devices used on boats.

3. USB connection. USB connections can provide DC power for operating or charging devices. The voltage supplied is 5VDC.

Hope this clears things up.

Adapters are available that can plug into a 12VDC outlet, change the voltage to 5VDC and power a USB cable.

Last edited:

unsure

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 6, 2010
Silicon Valley, California

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
Regardless of Outlet Power, any Device used to convert power must be certified to accept That power on its input circuit nominally, with a specified Maximum(surge) capability. i.e. 14.5v max means just that.
Any device attached to said power regulation device must be capable of accepting the adapters regulated output.
Even 5v output can cause issues if a device max rate is 4.8v

25 years automotive electronics:)
I have seen MANY DC mistakes leading to burning and explosions. e-cig incidents are(so far) at the bottom of the list.
Owner Add on accessories Tops that list.

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
Oy. I have so many different devices with so many power adaptes it makes my head spin. I just keep plugging things into whatever and hope for the best, ie not frying a $200 phone cuz I plugged it in to the dustbuster charger.

Do what I did. Buy a label maker and every time you buy something new that has a charging cord, label it. I can pull any cable out of a drawer and know exactly what it goes to.

WarHawk-AVG

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 27, 2013
H-Town
I use a straight thru 5vdc USB bypass in my truck during commute

$5.74 USB Cable Connected Wired Battery for Electronic Cigarette at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

You could also use these, VV USB bypass rigs

$5.50 Variable Voltage USB Passthrough Battery for E-Cigarette at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

I would rather have the VV setup...having to use 2.8Ω or higher heads or it runs too hot

And then one of these

Amazon.com: BoxWave Dual Micro High Current Car Charger - 2.1 Amp / 10W Universal 2-Port, Dual USB Car Charger for All Devices - Apple iPad 4, iPad mini, iPhone 5, Samsung Galaxy Note 2, Galaxy S3, Nexus 7, All Smartphones, Tablets, eReaders (Black):

Mine works perfectly...unless you pull the cord to hard and snap the internal wire (they just have a stupid shot of glue holding it and not a stress relief knot)

Last edited:

DasBluCig

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 30, 2013
Chichester, NH
CHECK YOUR VEHICLE MANUAL for the CURRENT RATING on the "cigarette lighter" or "accessory" socket!!!
A "cigarette lighter" socket SHOULD have enough current capability to handle MOST electronic devices; after all, a "lighter" is just a coil of resistance wire (think: MOD coil!!)....
OTOH....an "accessory" socket MAY NOT have a high current rating (ie., 1 amp. MAX) and PROBABLY won't handle heavy-current applications..
Granted...if you're "only" charging a battery, you're PROBABLY good with lower current....BUT if you're using a "pass through" device, it MAY pop a fuse when you hit your "vape button"!!!:(

WarHawk-AVG

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 27, 2013
H-Town
CHECK YOUR VEHICLE MANUAL for the CURRENT RATING on the "cigarette lighter" or "accessory" socket!!!
A "cigarette lighter" socket SHOULD have enough current capability to handle MOST electronic devices; after all, a "lighter" is just a coil of resistance wire (think: MOD coil!!)....
OTOH....an "accessory" socket MAY NOT have a high current rating (ie., 1 amp. MAX) and PROBABLY won't handle heavy-current applications..
Granted...if you're "only" charging a battery, you're PROBABLY good with lower current....BUT if you're using a "pass through" device, it MAY pop a fuse when you hit your "vape button"!!!:(
most cig lighters run 10-20amps...how else is that HUGE coil going to glow red!?
Accessory fuses run about the same

WattWick

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2013
Cold Norway
Do what I did. Buy a label maker and every time you buy something new that has a charging cord, label it. I can pull any cable out of a drawer and know exactly what it goes to.

Or you can write in a tiny piece of paper, loop some clear tape around the cord and stick the paper between the ends that stick out. Label maker would probably be more durable and better looking, tho.

Worst explanation of the day. Hope it's understandable.

RussCA

May 10, 2013
Oakland, CA, USA
You don't know [moderated] about your vehicle's electrical system. Admit this fact, or serve the telephone ( data) companies forever. It's your choice. You can be a slave, or you can be free. I'm out.

Would you like a hat? I've got some spare tin foil here you can use to make one.

Last edited by a moderator:

WarHawk-AVG

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 27, 2013
H-Town
You don't know [moderated] about your vehicle's electrical system. Admit this fact, or serve the telephone ( data) companies forever. It's your choice. You can be a slave, or you can be free. I'm out.
Considering everyone in my family is a mechanic or something or other (I do all the maintenance on my own vehicles including wiring in all sorts of stuff and being an electronics tech in the marines...I kinda KNOW electronics and wiring), and I work for the phone company so yeah...I guess you can say I am a slave to the phone company...a well paid slave

Cmon man?!!?!?!?

Or were you referring to someone else?

Last edited by a moderator:

RaceGun59

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 5, 2013
Owensboro, KY

Damn now some fool will just drop...WAIT I already did that in the 70's. I can see it now. I see it now "What's you favorite mod?" .."Oh it's my 1999 Ford F150 4X4.

EDIT: Disclaimer . I in no way admit to using a HUGE glowing red coil as a "Personal Herb Vaporizer" in the 70's.:evil:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread