Avatar 60A 4200mAh 26650 Bench Test Results...a ridiculously overrated 22A battery

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    These cells were purchased for the purposes of testing with funds donated by the vaping community. Thank you! To prevent any confusion with the eGo-type "batteries", I use the term "cell" here to refer to a single 18350, 18650, 26650, etc.

While the test results are hard data, the conclusions and recommendations I make based on these tests are only my personal opinion based on my criteria for setting a rating. Carefully research any cell you are considering using before purchasing.

Testing cells at their limits is dangerous and should never, ever, be attempted by anyone who has not thoroughly studied the dangers involved and how to minimize them.

If the cell has only one current rating number on it, or if it says "max discharging current" then I have to assume that the company is stating that the cell can be discharged at that current level in any way, including continuously.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Bottom Line
    This is a ridiculously overrated cell that I am rating at 22A. At 30A continuous it only delivered about 250mAh down to 3.2V. At 60A continuous its voltage instantly plunged to my 2.8V cutoff. Even when just pulsed at its 60A rating this cell dropped to below 2.6V on the first pulse. This is very clearly not a 60A cell.

The 26650 ratings table has been updated to include this cell.

Continuous-Current Test Results
    image.png

Pulse-Current Test Results
    image.png image.png

Comments
    • At 10A continuous it almost reached 4100mAh. This is good performance for a 4200mAh cell at 10A, so I am rating it at 4200mAh.
    • At 15A continuous the temperature rose to 62°C. This is far below the average temperature of a cell operating at its continuous discharge rating (CDR) and is an indication that we are operating below its true rating.
    • At 20A continuous the temperature rose to 72°C. This is a few degrees below the average temperature of a cell operating at its CDR and is an indication that we are operating near its true rating.
    • At 25A continuous the temperature rose to 86°C. This is above the average temperature of a cell operating at its CDR and is an indication that we are operating above its true rating. The voltage is starting to sag pretty badly.
    • At 30A continuous the temperature rose to 91°C. This is way above the average temperature of a cell operating at its CDR and is an indication that we are operating above its true rating. The voltage is sagging very badly. The cell seems to have shut off at 91°C, near the end of the discharge, but I was unable to duplicate this shutoff.
    • At 40A and 50A continuous the voltage almost instantly dropped below 3.2V, the cutoff point for many regulated mods.
    • At 60A continuous the voltage instantly dropped to my 2.8V cutoff. This is clearly not a 60A cell.
    • I am setting a CDR of 22A for this cell. While operating any cell near its rated maximum current level causes damage to the cell, I would expect good cycle life from this cell at 22A continuous.
    To see how other cells have tested and how hard you can safely push them, check out these links:
    List of Battery Tests | E-Cigarette Forum
    https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/f...afety-grades-and-pulse-performance-data.7566/
    https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/f...des-picking-a-safe-battery-to-vape-with.7447/
    https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/f...fety-grades-and-pulse-performance-data.7554//

Last edited by a moderator:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread