AWT Red/Black 50A 2600mAn 18650 Bench Test Results...a dangerously overrated 20A battery!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    These cells were purchased with funds donated by the vaping community for the purposes of testing. Thank you! To prevent any confusion with the eGo-type "batteries", I use the term "cell" here to refer to a single 18350, 18650, 26650, etc.

While the test results are hard data, the conclusions and recommendations I make based on these tests are only my personal opinion based on my criteria for setting a rating. Carefully research any cell you are considering using before purchasing.

Testing cells at their limits is dangerous and should never, ever, be attempted by anyone who has not thoroughly studied the dangers involved and how to minimize them.

If the cell has only one current rating number on it, or if it says "max discharging current" then I have to assume that the company is stating that the cell can be discharged at that current level in any way, including continuously.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Bottom Line
    This is a preposterously overrated and rewrapped cell which I am rating at 20A. At only 35A continuous, well below its rating, it could reach dangerous temperatures and possibly vent if there was a mod malfunction or accidental button press. At 40A and above its voltage quickly collapses. Even if just pulsed at its 50A rating the voltage dropped to just over 3.0V on the first pulse.

Both cells I tested had some dents or handling marks on the bottom of the can, under the wrap. This must have happened during the rewrapping.

I am giving this cell a maximum vaping amps (MVA) rating of 25A. It is identical in appearance and performance to the Sony VTC5.

The 18650 ratings table has been updated to include this cell.

Continuous-Current Test Results
    image.png

Comparison to VTC5
    image.png

Pulse-Current Test Results
    Since this cell appears to be a Sony VTC5 I did not do the pulse tests. The pulse test results for the VTV5 are here: Sony VTC5 2500mAh 18650 Retest Results...a great 20A 2600mAh battery

Comments
    • At 10A continuous it reached 2462mAh. This is good performance for a 2600mAH cell so I am rating this cell at 2600mAh.
    • At 15A continuous the temperature rose to 67°C. This is a below the average temperature of a cell operating at its continuous discharge rating (CDR).
    • At 20A continuous the temperature rose to 80°C. This is just above the average temperature of a cell operating at its CDR and is an indication that we are operating at its true rating.
    • At 25A continuous the temperature rose to 94°C. This is almost hot enough to boil water and we're only at one half of this cell's rating!
    • At 30A continuous the temperature rose to 106°C. This temperature is ridiculously high and it getting dangerous. The voltage is sagging considerably.
    • At 35A continuous the temperature rose to 115°C! This is a dangerously high temperature and could possibly cause the cell to vent. No cell should ever be allowed to operate at this level in case of a mod malfunction or accidental button press. The voltage sag is huge.
    • At 40A continuous the voltage quickly plunged to under 3.0V. The cell is essentially useless at this level.
    • At 50A continuous the voltage almost instantly plunged to the 2.8V cutoff.
    • I am setting a CDR of 20A for this cell. While operating any cell near its rated maximum current level causes damage to the cell, I would expect decent cycle life from this cell at 20A continuous.
    To see how other cells have tested and how hard you can safely push them, check out these links:
    List of Battery Tests | E-Cigarette Forum
    https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/f...afety-grades-and-pulse-performance-data.7566/
    https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/f...des-picking-a-safe-battery-to-vape-with.7447/
    https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/f...fety-grades-and-pulse-performance-data.7554//

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread