Baby Beast tank has been stuck for 2 weeks. Tried everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

N8erade

May 21, 2017
I can't believe I wasted $65 on this mod. Every time I need to change the coil, the tank is stuck closed and I spend several hours trying to open it up. And now here I am again, for the 7th time, except now I can't get it open no matter what I do. I have spent 2 weeks and $40 on supplies trying to open this thing up. If I grip the bottom, then the air flow just spins around completely ignoring the thing that's supposed to stop it from doing that, and if I grip the top then... the airflow on the bottom spins around. I tried gripping the tank itself with a jar opener and now I have a crack running down the side because I had to grip it that hard to keep it from spinning in my hand, but luckily it isn't leaking. Should I just throw this thing away and order a different tank? I'm so tired of this. Here's a list of things i've tried:
Refrigerating, freezing, pliers, hot water, boiling water, warm water, rubber bands, vape bands, ice water, bare hands, jar openers, various fabrics, and even C-Clamps.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
Have you tried a pair of these? I use these all the time it works. $3.07 Teflon + Ceramic Tweezers for E-Cigarettes at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

US based vendors also have these, I just grabbed the first link I had.

4253705-6-thumb.jpg

I said a pair for use - one on each end for the leverage and to stop the bottom from moving with the top part.

Reactions: N8erade

N8erade

May 21, 2017
No, but it's really the same thing I'm already doing.
I can't turn it by the bottom any more because the entire bottom side is the airflow and for some reason the airflow no longer stops where it's supposed to (I guess it was on so tight that it broke when I tried to open it)
I can't turn it by the top because everything (even jar openers) gets zero grip on the tank, and grabbing the bottom (even when turning the top) leads to the problem I described earlier

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
No, but it's really the same thing I'm already doing.
I can't turn it by the bottom any more because the entire bottom side is the airflow and for some reason the airflow no longer stops where it's supposed to (I guess it was on so tight that it broke when I tried to open it)
I can't turn it by the top because everything (even jar openers) gets zero grip on the tank, and grabbing the bottom (even when turning the top) leads to the problem I described earlier
These are made to fit the tanks like a glove and not damage them in any way. I tried your way a few times before I found these and these just plain work. The pliers can and do apply way too much pressure with little leverage to speak of.

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
Another way to hold the bottom......if you have any of those allen wrenches from a kit or one small enough to fit through the 'air slot' to stop the bottom from spinning. You may have to insert and then close the air flow all the way for it to work. I had to do this with the super tanks because of all of the other problems you describe above. This may give you the leverage you need to hold the bottom still while doing no damage to the tank.

N8erade

May 21, 2017
whats your preference? MTL or DTL? Big heavy clouds or thin wispy ones?
MTL tanks would be types like the Aqua, Rose, Kayfun styles ( hi ohm, low watts)
DTL would be similar to the TFV series or Dripper type atties, Ive been pretty happy with my TFV4...

I've only ever vaped sub-ohm (which I believe is DTL, correct me if I'm wrong), and I'm a fan of clouds, but I've never tried MTL. Might give it a swing just for the heck of it. Would I be able to get a MTL tank that will work with the Stick V8? I'm not looking to buy a full set right now, just a tank+coils.

Cf11

ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2017
I've only ever vaped sub-ohm (which I believe is DTL, correct me if I'm wrong), and I'm a fan of clouds, but I've never tried MTL. Might give it a swing just for the heck of it. Would I be able to get a MTL tank that will work with the Stick V8? I'm not looking to buy a full set right now, just a tank+coils.

Well this is a common misconception that subohm has to be DTL... There are people like phil busardo who still mtl on sub ohm coils.

The nautilus tanks are good for mtl might wanna check em out.

N8erade

May 21, 2017
Another way to hold the bottom......if you have any of those allen wrenches from a kit or one small enough to fit through the 'air slot' to stop the bottom from spinning. You may have to insert and then close the air flow all the way for it to work. I had to do this with the super tanks because of all of the other problems you describe above. This may give you the leverage you need to hold the bottom still while doing no damage to the tank.

Thanks for the advice, this worked (with a lot of effort.)

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
Thanks for the advice, this worked (with a lot of effort.)
I am glad I could be of some help for you. Another thing is if/when you put the tank back together, don't tighten it as much as before, and it may help if you make sure the threads on the tank don't have any ejuice on them. If your ejuice has sweetner and gets in the threads of the tank where the bottom screws in, when heated it will form a tight bond. Dunno if that is what happened before, but just a thought.

:)

Jaydawg

May 20, 2017
Syracuse, NY
This is what I use for stuck tanks with a paper towel or rag to protect the finish on the metal.

412-355.png
Gotta be real carful with using something like this. Even with a rag I have had it cut through the rag and damage the tank. I like the ceramic tweezers a lot more. Also sometimes I will duct tape the bottom or top of a tank to be able to get leverage on it. Once you open it just take the tape off and throw away.

N8erade

May 21, 2017
I am glad I could be of some help for you. Another thing is if/when you put the tank back together, don't tighten it as much as before, and it may help if you make sure the threads on the tank don't have any ejuice on them. If your ejuice has sweetner and gets in the threads of the tank where the bottom screws in, when heated it will form a tight bond. Dunno if that is what happened before, but just a thought.

This may be what happened before. Vaping does have the secondary bonus of helping me fight off my sweet tooth, so most of my juices are very sweet and likely clogged up the threads, though I never thought I was screwing them too tight. Thanks again for the advice and have a great day :vapor:

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
This may be what happened before. Vaping does have the secondary bonus of helping me fight off my sweet tooth, so most of my juices are very sweet and likely clogged up the threads, though I never thought I was screwing them too tight. Thanks again for the advice and have a great day :vapor:
You are welcome. Have a good day yourself.

SteveS45

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 27, 2016
Long Island, New York
Gotta be real carful with using something like this. Even with a rag I have had it cut through the rag and damage the tank. I like the ceramic tweezers a lot more. Also sometimes I will duct tape the bottom or top of a tank to be able to get leverage on it. Once you open it just take the tape off and throw away.

I have been using hand tools sine I was a youngster and I can use them without damaging tanks. I hope I do not need to tell you to not grab the glass with them.

Islandswamp

May 17, 2017
Seriously considering it. Paycheck comes soon. Do you know of any good tanks for the Stick V8? (It came with a baby beast)

I just got the V8 Stick and g150 kit both of which come with the BIG baby beast, which is obviously what you have. It's not much different than the baby beast except that it has a larger juice capacity.

I had the same trouble with opening the thing when I got it. Unlike you I WAS eventually able to open it, so I'm wondering if yours was defective or not. Otherwise it sounds as if you broke it trying to open it.

My experience was that the first time I had to open it was the toughest, and it's now pretty easy to open. Today I actually had one of the tanks come apart at the bottom while it was in my pocket because I didn't tighten it enough (I guess) when I put a new coil in. My guess is that the reason Smok makes the thing so tight right off the line is that they don't want people saying that their tanks were leaking.

There should be a short warranty, I would email smoktech if I was you. I really like these tanks though, and I would recommend sticking with them if you can make them work right. Especially with the V8 stick, as some other tanks might not work as well with it because the wattage can't be changed.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

Putting a Little bit of this...

3691_m.jpg

... or any other Fine Wax on the top of your Mod and then Buffing it Off with a clean cloth can Help Prevent you Atomizer from getting stuck again. Also giving the Atomizer Base a quick wipe with a Paper Towel at each Re-Fill helps.

e-Liquid can act like Loctite sometimes if it gets between the Atomizer Base and the Top of the Mod.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread