Back to Celebrate and looking for a Little Info

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan40

ECF Veteran
May 27, 2016
Hi All,

I passed the 4 year mark last month without even one cig thanks to this group after 40 years of smoking.

Here´s my situation. I have been using an e-go type tank with a 1.8 atomizer stuck of a 40 watt iStick. I have 5 of them that I rotate around so I am never without. It´s been fine. I get use to something and don´t want to change. I make a batch of flavorless juice that last 3 months and I´m all set.

Anyway, along comes covid and after a while I needed more atomizers and I couldn´t find them. I picked up some tank that uses a 0.3 om thing and put it on my Istick 40. I have been using it for a month or so. It was a big change. Before it was mouth to lung and now it is like taking a big .... hit like when I was young haha

Now I´ve found the 1.8 atomizers again but I´m not sure which way to go. I do know I want to keep using the 5 Istick 40´s I have. I am am way out of date on what is available. I do know I am sick of 2ml tanks. I am sick of filling them all the time.

All thoughts welcome and thanks for being here 4 years ago when I had had enough of smoking.

englishmick

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2014
Naptown, Indiana
Hi All,

I passed the 4 year mark last month without even one cig thanks to this group after 40 years of smoking.

Here´s my situation. I have been using an e-go type tank with a 1.8 atomizer stuck of a 40 watt iStick. I have 5 of them that I rotate around so I am never without. It´s been fine. I get use to something and don´t want to change. I make a batch of flavorless juice that last 3 months and I´m all set.

Anyway, along comes covid and after a while I needed more atomizers and I couldn´t find them. I picked up some tank that uses a 0.3 om thing and put it on my Istick 40. I have been using it for a month or so. It was a big change. Before it was mouth to lung and now it is like taking a big .... hit like when I was young haha

Now I´ve found the 1.8 atomizers again but I´m not sure which way to go. I do know I want to keep using the 5 Istick 40´s I have. I am am way out of date on what is available. I do know I am sick of 2ml tanks. I am sick of filling them all the time.

All thoughts welcome and thanks for being here 4 years ago when I had had enough of smoking.

Congratulations.

Nothing wrong with the iStick 40 as long as they hold a charge. I've still got one going. There are lots of good tanks around. The ones I use are almost as old as yours and out of production. Someone will come along with suggestions. Where are you on the resistance? Do you want to stick with the 1.8 range or did you like the lower style? You did go from very high to very low, there's a lot going on between those two. I use around 1.2 these days.

And have you thought aabout making your own coils? There's a good chance that the Gov will ban stuff later this year and you wouldn't be able to buy heads any more.

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
Congratulations on the 4y mark!
My ucnle runs Innokin Zenith (they have a 1.6 coil) and Aspire Nautilus (they have a 1.8 coil) on hih istick 30w devises and loves both. The Nauti is bottom fill only, Zenith has top fill only. Both has versatile af, mtl-rdl, and both have good flavor.

Dan40

ECF Veteran
May 27, 2016
Congratulations.

Nothing wrong with the iStick 40 as long as they hold a charge. I've still got one going. There are lots of good tanks around. The ones I use are almost as old as yours and out of production. Someone will come along with suggestions. Where are you on the resistance? Do you want to stick with the 1.8 range or did you like the lower style? You did go from very high to very low, there's a lot going on between those two. I use around 1.2 these days.

And have you thought aabout making your own coils? There's a good chance that the Gov will ban stuff later this year and you wouldn't be able to buy heads any more.

How would I get started making my own coils without a big learning curve and without spending a lot upfront?

englishmick

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2014
Naptown, Indiana
How would I get started making my own coils without a big learning curve and without spending a lot upfront?

I started making coils by wrapping wire on a drill bit. Now I have a slightly fancier winding rod that's easier to hold. It takes a bit of practice but I was making decent coils after half a dozen tries. Installing the coil in the tank deck can be anywhere from easy to quite hard depending on the tank. Then you have to put a cotton or rayon wick in the coil. Trimming the sides of the wick to size is another learning curve. Honestly it's not that hard, it doesn't take long to get the hang of it. There are youtube videos showing how to do it for every tank ever made.

The cost of wire and cotton is pennies a month. You can get a 5 year supply of rayon for $10. A years worth of wire for $5. You can wrap the coils on a drill bit or spend a few bucks on a winding tool. You will need a good pair of scissors for trimming wicks, the sort with small narrow pointy blades. Like embroidery scissors. You can get good ones on Amazon for $10.

Another advantage is you can experiment. Change the resistance and see what works best for you. Etc.

Bottom line is making your own coils makes you independent. You won't be left hanging if the manufacturer stops making the coils you like or the Gov bans them. And you save a lot of money. And I have to say I can get a better vape with my own coils than I ever got from premade heads.

The only downside is it takes a bit of time compared with changing a premade coil head. But it goes pretty fast once you get the hang of it.

englishmick

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2014
Naptown, Indiana
I would need a new tank and mod. How does that work?

Mods are interchangeable. Pretty much any tank will fit on your iStick.

There are some tanks around that will work with either drop in coil heads or your own coils. I have one like that called Subtank Mini, but I don't think you can buy them any more. Wish I could help with some names but like I said I found tanks I liked years ago and got a bunch, and they don't make them any more.

If you decide whether you want to go with low or high resistance someone could make some better suggestions.

Actually I just googled Subtank Mini and you can still get them here.

Genuine Kanger™ Subtank MINI Hybrid Tank

I'm sure there are more current tanks around that would be easier to find and maybe cheaper. You probably aren't going to find your perfect tank right away. Just get something and try it out.

Dan40

ECF Veteran
May 27, 2016
o Danny boy,just a new rta or might be able to get a rba for the new tank>what tank did you get that uses the .03?

I got 2 at a local store during lockdown the past few months. Vaporesso NRG SE (works well) using 0.3 and a Vaporreso Veco using 1.0 (Works well but don´t like the design, I get juice all over my hand every time I fill it)

englishmick

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2014
Naptown, Indiana
I got 2 at a local store during lockdown the past few months. Vaporesso NRG SE (works well) using 0.3 and a Vaporreso Veco using 1.0 (Works well but don´t like the design, I get juice all over my hand every time I fill it)

Haven't tried either of those but I checked them out and they look like good tanks.

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
Actually I just googled Subtank Mini and you can still get them here.

Genuine Kanger™ Subtank MINI Hybrid Tank

WOW! $28.99 + S/H for the SubTank Mini there! That's highway robbery, IMO. I guess as they become more scarce though, the higher the price will go. Glad I bought 7 authentic ones about 3 months ago, from a US vendor, with each one being less than 1/2 of that, even including S/H.

Last edited:
Reactions: englishmick
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread