Backwoods Brew tobaccos- NET,Synthetic, or something other?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Randy C

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 17, 2012
SW Florida
How does BWB flavor their tobaccos? Virginia, Backo, and Casablanca are truly flavorful. We'll never get it out of Don because he protects his ingredients more than Willie Wonks protects the recipe for his famed Everlasting Gobstoper. So what are your thoughts... are they NET, Synthetic, or something other?

Last edited:

Mr.Mann

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2011
All over the place
I think they are mash-ups of several ingredients. Do those ingredients incorporate natural tobacco? It's possible, but I think the liquids from BWB that do contain natural tobacco are (no longer made) RY4, (no longer made) eJoker, Casa and maybe Adriondack? As for the others, I know that 555e, Virginia and Backo carry the same base, but I do not believe that base is a natural tobacco.

Last edited:

Randy C

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 17, 2012
SW Florida
I think they are mash-ups of several ingredients. Do those ingredients incorporate natural tobacco? It's possible, but I think the liquids from BWB that do contain natural tobacco are (no longer made) RY4, (no longer made) eJoker, Casa and maybe Adriondack? As for the others, I know that 555e, Virginia and Backo carry the same base, but I do not believe that base is a natural tobacco.

I agree... maybe Adrindack and Casa are from natural tobacco, but if so, a very simple extraction process is being used for sure- maybe a long soak or boil??? I find BWB's 555 unvapable, but their Virginia and Backo???? I just can't figure them out- in a good way.

Last edited:

Mr.Mann

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2011
All over the place
I agree... maybe Adrindack and Casa are from natural tobacco, but if so, a very simple extraction process is being used for sure- maybe a long soak or boil??? I find BWB's 555 unvapable, but their Virginia and Backo???? I just can't figure them out- in a good way.

555e, 555 or both? I love their 555e...well, I like it. Now, when you say "simple soak," understand that a simple soak is what GeJ uses. I think that if anything, BWB uses a simple soak, maceration (or whatever you want to call it), but they add several other flavors over the top; so the tobacco is mainly used as a backdrop (if it's in there to begin with.)

Some "simple" soaks result in PHENOMENAL results...just ask GeJ's Patriot. LOL

Mr.Mann

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2011
All over the place
I want to add that the reason I need to split hairs about the phrase "simple soaks" is because a lot of NET vapers (me included) use that phrase to denote the process of simply soaking tobacco in PG or PG/VG. Now, that doesn't mean that the results will always taste simple. But, I think a lot of vendors that use that method aren't able to get the same depth of flavor from that process; and in that scenario, it would taste simple.

lasttango

What would Freud say?
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 10, 2010
Wilmington, DE / Ithaca, NY
www.last.fm
virginia and bacco are absolutes... don makes them... and they are different... casa is a bit of a secret... but I do know this... don pays an arm and a leg for the ingredients... he wouldn't tell me what they were, but they are not easy for him to acquire... not sure what part he makes... or if it's more of his mixing... it is masterful though.
and all the rest are nets...
and each one is made by don and they are different tobaccos / processes.

Don takes a lot of pride in these and they take a lot of his time.

I like the Adirondack a lot.

Mr.Mann

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2011
All over the place
virginia and bacco are absolutes... don makes them... and they are different... casa is a bit of a secret... but I do know this... don pays an arm and a leg for the ingredients... he wouldn't tell me what they were, but they are not easy for him to acquire... not sure what part he makes... or if it's more of his mixing... it is masterful though.
and all the rest are nets...
and each one is made by don and they are different tobaccos / processes.

Don takes a lot of pride in these and they take a lot of his time.

I like the Adirondack a lot.

That's definitive (at least for BWB) :laugh:.

When I asked the man about 555e, Backo and Virgina, this was the exchange:

Does anyone know whether Backo, 555e, and Virginia share the same tobacco base? I love vaping all three and noticing the subtle changes in Backo and Virginia, where 555e is similar but more bright, sparkly and colorful. Backo is the reigning king in my vaping station right now, though!

Yes they do Mr. Mann and others as well on top of the original base

I guess "tobacco base" may be interpreted a number of ways, especially by the man that makes them. Even still, I appreciate getting some insight here, LT. I may have to get some Adriondack to revisit.

Randy C

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 17, 2012
SW Florida
555e, 555 or both? I love their 555e...well, I like it. Now, when you say "simple soak," understand that a simple soak is what GeJ uses. I think that if anything, BWB uses a simple soak, maceration (or whatever you want to call it), but they add several other flavors over the top; so the tobacco is mainly used as a backdrop (if it's in there to begin with.)

Some "simple" soaks result in PHENOMENAL results...just ask GeJ's Patriot. LOL

I REALLY like the 555E, but I just can't handle the standard 555. I should have explained how I feel about simple soaks better... I meant it in a good way; I tend to like the flavor most simple soaks provide. Although I'm not a huge fan of Adirondack, both Adirondack and Casa deliver quite the tobacco punch

Last edited:

Mr.Mann

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2011
All over the place
I never would have guessed!

Yeah, me either. Although, I wonder if the term absolute is referring to absolutes in the way I'm thinking. If it is, then that is a multi-step process that would surely take up a lot of time. I don't doubt for a second that Don has the wherewithal to do it though.

Last edited:

Mr.Mann

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2011
All over the place
Funny, Ive STILL not ordered from BWB... Scared of tobacco, dont want it too strong, at all pipey or cigary. Mellow, no chest hair needed! Does such an animal exist? Malty sounds nice though..
GeJ synthetics maybe? Oh hell, I just dunno (shrugs).

The way you describe what you want sounds exactly like what BWB offers. You may want to stay away from Casablanca, though.

You may also want check out NETs from The Plume Room, Cravin Vapes, Prime Vaping and maybe Darth Vapers.

RPadTV

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 12, 2012
Planet Awesome
www.rpad.tv
Thanks! Iv never heard of Cravinvapes but just looked them up, looks like they have some possibilities.

I've been dripping a few Cravin' Vapes NETs and sweet flavors. I haven't given them my full attention yet, but the sweet flavors seem better to me. The NETs are decent, but light on the tobacco flavor and a bit undistinguished. The stye reminds me of HHV NETs, but not as good. Keep in mind those are just initial impressions.

Zelphie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 29, 2010
S.E. Michigan
Good to hear you like the sweet flavors, I love sweet flavors too! Ill prolly try some of those as well.
As far as tobaccos, Im actually looking for something light and rather undistinguished, its worth a try. I didnt care for HHV's tobaccos, even those were too much for me besides shadow. I just didnt like the creaminess shadow had, but loved the tobacco'ish background. I can certainly see how it might not be your thing since you are (if memory serves) an aromatic fan.

RPadTV

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 12, 2012
Planet Awesome
www.rpad.tv
Good to hear you like the sweet flavors, I love sweet flavors too! Ill prolly try some of those as well.
As far as tobaccos, Im actually looking for something light and rather undistinguished, its worth a try. I didnt care for HHV's tobaccos, even those were too much for me besides shadow. I just didnt like the creaminess shadow had, but loved the tobacco'ish background. I can certainly see how it might not be your thing since you are (if memory serves) an aromatic fan.

I'm most definitely an aromatic fan (thanks for remembering!), but I'm also fond of a few HHV tobaccos too. I consider HHV NETs to be dessert NETs though. Generally, I just like things that are well crafted and/or unique, whether it's tobaccos, drinks, desserts, fruits, etc. I wonder if you'd like Goodejuice's house blends. They make some great tobaccos and a few of them would be considered light.

Caridwen

ECF Moderator
Senior Moderator
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 15, 2011
The way you describe what you want sounds exactly like what BWB offers. You may want to stay away from Casablanca, though.

You may also want check out NETs from The Plume Room, Cravin Vapes, Prime Vaping and maybe Darth Vapers.

I agree. Casablanca is pretty in your face.

If you want a tobacco from BWB, virginia is good. I could vape that and I don't even like tobacco liquids. Plus, you can add flavorings to it. I vaped Virginia with a few drops of peach for awhile. I keep a bottle on hand if someone wants to try vaping.

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
Probably the lightest BWB flavor would be Backo after 2+ months steep.
Sadly it is the only BWB I can handle now. I tried several and enjoyed Casa, 555E, cappuccino, Dulche, Hunter and Virginia
Unfortunately several change Dramatically over time and became overpowering to me.

On the plus side they helped get me fully converted to vaping and I thank Don for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread