Bad Capella Flavorings?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tasteles

ECF Veteran
Jan 22, 2010
Ohio, USA
I just opened a new bottle of Vanilla Custard to make a batch expecting it to be just like my last batch. After topping off a cart and taking a couple draws, started tasting god awful. OMG this stuff really tastes bad, I grabbed the bottle of vanilla custard and pulled thte dropper tip off and smelled it, it doesn't smell anything like the previous bottle.

Question, has anyone else had this experiance with flavorings from one bottle to the next?

I'm not in the position to be able to send it back right now, I work on a riverboat and won't be getting off for a couple more weeks. I'm also wondering if capella would replace it after this much time? I bought it about 3 weeks ago.

I have another bottle but now I'm afraid to open it. All this makes me wonder if the same thing didn't happen with the bottle of French Toast that I tried and didn't like. I''ll have to look to see if I ordered it at the same time. I've read where ppl like the french toast, but it was awful to me.

I'm really curious to see if anyone else has problems with consistancy of flavors or of this is something rare.

Ast_Isis

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 7, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
I order Vanilla Custard from them often since I use it in nearly everything. (Yes I have an addiction to it...hehe) So far they have all been the same. When you get a chance, call or email Capella's. Tom is a great guy and has been very helpful in the past with any issues.

P.S. I do not like the French Toast by itself either. I add some of Capella's Egg Nog which is wonderful.

HzG8rGrl

Trippy Tip Hoarder
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 11, 2009
*The Swamp*
www.youtube.com
As advised-e-mail Tom and let him know your situation. Do not open the second bottle, if they are from the same batch/same order they will both be messed up and he will be able to discern the problem batch. Crappola happens and I am quite sure he will be more than happy to rectify the situation.

Tasteles

ECF Veteran
Jan 22, 2010
Ohio, USA
Thanks, I checked my order and the french toast was from a different order but I have the 2 bottes of vanilla custard that was odered together. I'll contact him and sen it back in a couple weeks when I get off the boat. Till then,, I guess I get to play with some other flavors that I have. I have grown rather fond of their capuccino lately.

I also had been using a few drops of the van custard in other recipes. I'll be going thru vanilla custard withdraws once those run out. LOL

Switched

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2010
Dartmouth, NS Canada
I just opened a new bottle of Vanilla Custard to make a batch expecting it to be just like my last batch. After topping off a cart and taking a couple draws, started tasting god awful. OMG this stuff really tastes bad, I grabbed the bottle of vanilla custard and pulled thte dropper tip off and smelled it, it doesn't smell anything like the previous bottle.

Question, has anyone else had this experiance with flavorings from one bottle to the next?

I'm not in the position to be able to send it back right now, I work on a riverboat and won't be getting off for a couple more weeks. I'm also wondering if capella would replace it after this much time? I bought it about 3 weeks ago.

I have another bottle but now I'm afraid to open it. All this makes me wonder if the same thing didn't happen with the bottle of French Toast that I tried and didn't like. I''ll have to look to see if I ordered it at the same time. I've read where ppl like the french toast, but it was awful to me.

I'm really curious to see if anyone else has problems with consistancy of flavors or of this is something rare.
It may be expired. If the flavour is suspended in PG, then it's probably toast. PG has a shelf life of 2 years, and that includes all flavourings, with the exception of LorAnns who claim??? theirs are indefinite.

RyGuy

ECF Veteran
Sep 11, 2009
Colorado
It may be expired. If the flavour is suspended in PG, then it's probably toast. PG has a shelf life of 2 years, and that includes all flavourings, with the exception of LorAnns who claim??? theirs are indefinite.

Capella's has only been making the VC for about 6 (or so) months now, so I highly doubt that it is expired?

Wench

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 16, 2009
Pensacola, Fl.
This may explain my first order. I normally love caramel but the caramel, coffee bean and french vanilla all had this nasty godawful taste "underlying bitter sorta". I chalked it up to just not my taste..
I tried someone elses caramel later and it didn't taste like that..
I decided to give another go and got the french toast, banana split and buttered popcorn.
Loved the French toast and popcorn.
May very well be bad batches or perhaps recipe variations?

GoodDog

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 31, 2009
SF East Bay
I kept reading all the great reviews of the Vanilla Custard so I ordered some. I tell you, nothing has made me puke like the taste of that! It had some underlying taste that stayed in my atty even after cleaning and I ended up tossing the atty. I thought it was just me but maybe something is wrong. Yikes, I gave it away!

Tasteles

ECF Veteran
Jan 22, 2010
Ohio, USA
The ony description I can give on this batch that I think is bad, is that it tastes like what ever gives it the custard taste, is way too strong. Kind of chalky tasting, it caught me by surprise cause I had just been vaping on the last of my previous mix. I topped off my cart and took one draw off of it and darned near threw up.

Wench

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 16, 2009
Pensacola, Fl.
The ony description I can give on this batch that I think is bad, is that it tastes like what ever gives it the custard taste, is way too strong. Kind of chalky tasting, it caught me by surprise cause I had just been vaping on the last of my previous mix. I topped off my cart and took one draw off of it and darned near threw up.

Yup, That's the taste.. it's like someone went insane with bad bavarian cream and not in a good way. (bavarian cream from lorann's is what it reminds me of but not in a good way)

sjohnson

ECF Veteran
Nov 12, 2009
PG beyond it's expiration date is not going to suddenly go wild and make whatever it's used in be bad. The progression is much more subtle than that. At first, it will take a chemist to tell the difference between "good" PG and "expired" PG. It isn't a light switch, on or off, it's a gradual slide downhill.

Something else is causing the bad flavor, not the PG.

Tasteles

ECF Veteran
Jan 22, 2010
Ohio, USA
Ok, here's what I ended up with. First I shook it up really good and made a 3ml no nic test bottle. That still had that strong taste to it. Then I decided to take half out of the 15 ml bottle that I coouldn't vape and add juice to it of the same strength nic, added a few drops of french vanilla and it's close to what it should be. So I ended up doubling what I already made up with unflavored juice.

I think I can live with that, just not use as much vanilla custard and add a little french vanilla to each batch till I use it all up.

Last edited:

MaxUT

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 4, 2009
Ogden, UT, US
This may explain my first order. I normally love caramel but the caramel, coffee bean and french vanilla all had this nasty godawful taste "underlying bitter sorta".

Maybe the bottles had some contaminant in them, like detergent that hadn't been completely rinsed out.

Innovapor had a problem last year with bottles of ECOpure tasting bad, and it seems that they traced it to tainted containers.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread