Bad dry mouth that won't go away?

Status
Not open for further replies.

reg190

ECF Veteran
Jan 14, 2013
Poconos, PA
Wondering if anyone else experienced/is experiencing this? Seemingly out of the blue I started having really bad dry mouth. I figured I could just drink more water throughout the day but that doesn't seem to be doing it. I can easily down 3-4 32 oz gatorade water bottles and still have the dry mouth. Am I just vaping too much?

Anyone find a way to fix or resolve this?

Grimwald

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 12, 2012
Lawrence KS
Dry mouth was perhaps the worst part for me (until the great taste bud war of 2012), especially at night. Water and sports drinks never really worked that great for me either, but I did buy stock in chap stick and lozenges. Tea, milk, juices, and citrus flavored seltzer at least gave me some variety and kept me sipping. Also switched to decaf coffee so I could drink more without overdosing on caffeine. Stepped up the VG content by adding a few drops of pure VG from Walmart to my bottles. Still haven't cured the nighttime dry mouth, but it is getting better.

reg190

ECF Veteran
Jan 14, 2013
Poconos, PA
So far I've tried:

- Drinking more water.
- Adding a third brushing/mouth washing in the afternoon when I come home from work
- Mind you I have the ACT dry mouth mouthwash. Can't really afford biotene that stuff's expensive
- Chapstick for chapped lips

Can't really think of much else to try at this point. My dry mouth is like way in the back. Feels bad and I've noticed having some bad breath too, which I can only guess is due to the fact that my dry mouth is letting bacteria go to work. Feels bad man :(

Tommy Aces

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 28, 2013
Connecticut
I've suffered from dry mouth for some time, well before I started Vaping. It is a difficult thing. I've tried just about every treatment out there with the exception of RX meds. Really, lots of small to moderate sips of water will do wonders. Guzzling bottle after bottle will offer little to no help.

Good luck.

JoAnnW

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 19, 2012
B'more MD
There is a Biotene mouth rinse for dry mouth. Also, try rinsing your mouth before you go to bed to flush out any ejuice residue; and, use a saline spray before bedtime. I'm NOT a doctor, if it continues, see your doctor and/or your dentist.

Yes! Totally agree with this. Biotene and saline nasal spray have greatly relieved the chronic dryness of my mouth and throat especially before bedtime. I also noticed that one of the ingredients in this mouthrinse is propylene glycol (pg).

Last edited:

reg190

ECF Veteran
Jan 14, 2013
Poconos, PA
just reduce PG on your liquids \it is the only reason for dry mouth
now i use vg only without any problems

I thought that this might've been the case but not only have I seen that both PG and VG are humectants, but I know that SI uses roughly 90/10 PG/VG ratio and I ordered a Tasty Vapor flavor which was 80/20 PG/VG and it had no difference. I don't think that more VG is going to help in my case.

Also, biotene products in general are notoriously expensive. Sorry, but it's out of the question right now. I wanted to switch to vaping to cut down on costs from buying expensive cigarettes, not add new ones with products that are taking care of side effects of vaping...

I'd be very reluctant to want to continue a hobby if I was basically forced to use some mouth spray all day. There has to be more information out there aside from the basics. I'm already doing those. Mouth is dry as a .....

Last edited:

Tommy Aces

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 28, 2013
Connecticut
I thought that this might've been the case but not only have I seen that both PG and VG are humectants, but I know that SI uses roughly 90/10 PG/VG ratio and I ordered a Tasty Vapor flavor which was 80/20 PG/VG and it had no difference. I don't think that more VG is going to help in my case.

Also, biotene products in general are notoriously expensive. Sorry, but it's out of the question right now. I wanted to switch to vaping to cut down on costs from buying expensive cigarettes, not add new ones with products that are taking care of side effects of vaping...

I'd be very reluctant to want to continue a hobby if I was basically forced to use some mouth spray all day. There has to be more information out there aside from the basics. I'm already doing those. Mouth is dry as a .....

Actually, Costco carries Biotene products, buually behind the pharmacy counter, and they are really cheap there. A bottle of the Biotene mouth spray is only about $2.75 there as compared to $5.99 at Walmart.

With that said, I do use the Biotene spray at night if I wake up and my mouth is very dry/sore, but generally, it is very temporary relief(an hour or two). Generally, I find regular water intake with small, frequent sips is the best bet. Also, nothing beats sour stuff like Sour Patch Kids or IceBreakers Sours. They will defiantly get the saliva flowing and if you happen to have a stone blocking a salivary gland, with regular use, they can actually help to dislodge it.

Also, if you use mouthwash, get a brand that is alcohol-free. Also, I've found that if I wait till right before bed to brush my teeth and don't vape afterwards, I don't get as much dryness or soreness in my mouth during the night.

Oh, and when you are Vaping, try not to have the tip of your young near the vapor as it enters your mouth. Not only can you conceivably burn it repeatedly with hot vapor, but the repeated direct exposure will kill taste buds, which in turn causes your mouth to feel even more dry and sore.

reg190

ECF Veteran
Jan 14, 2013
Poconos, PA
Actually, Costco carries Biotene products, buually behind the pharmacy counter, and they are really cheap there. A bottle of the Biotene mouth spray is only about $2.75 there as compared to $5.99 at Walmart.

With that said, I do use the Biotene spray at night if I wake up and my mouth is very dry/sore, but generally, it is very temporary relief(an hour or two). Generally, I find regular water intake with small, frequent sips is the best bet. Also, nothing beats sour stuff like Sour Patch Kids or IceBreakers Sours. They will defiantly get the saliva flowing and if you happen to have a stone blocking a salivary gland, with regular use, they can actually help to dislodge it.

Also, if you use mouthwash, get a brand that is alcohol-free. Also, I've found that if I wait till right before bed to brush my teeth and don't vape afterwards, I don't get as much dryness or soreness in my mouth during the night.

Oh, and when you are Vaping, try not to have the tip of your young near the vapor as it enters your mouth. Not only can you conceivably burn it repeatedly with hot vapor, but the repeated direct exposure will kill taste buds, which in turn causes your mouth to feel even more dry and sore.

No Costco near where I live. There's a BJs, but I can't justify buying a $50 subscription for one product. I do have dry mouth mouth wash from ACT that is alcohol free and I use that. My throat is starting to feel a little bit better. I avoided vaping most of yesterday and I think it helped to give my throat a rest.

Not really sure what to do else because I'm already drinking boatloads of water and the only other thing is people keep saying biotene but a tiny little bottle is like $6 so if this is something I'd regularly need I'd be broke.

We'll see I guess.

JoAnnW

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 19, 2012
B'more MD

I think investing in your health is worth more than just cutting the costs of buying cigarettes.

reg190

ECF Veteran
Jan 14, 2013
Poconos, PA
I think investing in your health is worth more than just cutting the costs of buying cigarettes.

I hate these sorts of answers...sort of condescending. I am investing in my health. I just don't have money growing out of my ... to be able to afford all the little expensive products people are suggesting to me. I was never a smoker that just threw my money at cigarettes if I didn't have any. I just suffered until I could afford them again. I'm not able to spend that much currently. I literally have over 85% of my paycheck going to student loan debts. Excuse me if I am concerned about budget and costs.

My switch to vaping wasn't motivated by money. That was just a nice benefit, or so I thought. What I'm saying is that in the process of switching to vaping, I'm finding out that there's a lot more things that people are suggesting I buy to remedy side effects that are caused by vaping.

Hey, is it possible that you're snoring/breathing through your mouth when you sleep? I've noticed that if I'm too congested (allergies) to breath through my nose when I go to sleep, I'll wake up (usually in the middle of the night:mad:), with a brutally dry mouth. My issues predate my vaping.

That's possible. I just went out to Wal-mart and saw a cheap saline spray so I bought that and I'm going to try adding that to my routine. I'm trying pretty damn hard here. I brush my teeth three times a day now, including use of dry mouth ACT mouthwash. I drink probably 3-4 32 oz water bottles a day plus whatever other fluids, so I'm sort of at a loss right now. I also saw a really cheap humidifier for like $15 so I picked that up since Imagine suggested that the air might just be real dry in my house since it's winter and we run the heat. That's a real possibility.

Have you tried a google search for natural home remedy mixtures for dry mouth? Quite a few results came up, maybe you can find something that will work for you and it will not be pricey. Hope you find some relief soon!

Thanks! I did, and I've been systematically trying one at a time each day to see if something works. I'm starting to consider that I may also have some sort of sinus infection or related problem because I've had a sore throat for a few days now. I first thought it was related to the vaping but it persisted even when I stopped for like two days. So far the best thing that's worked for me is constant water drinking, but that only temporarily moistens my mouth/throat.

Feels bad, man :(

Last edited:

JoAnnW

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 19, 2012
B'more MD
I hate these sorts of answers...sort of condescending. I am investing in my health. I just don't have money growing out of my ... to be able to afford all the little expensive products people are suggesting to me. I was never a smoker that just threw my money at cigarettes if I didn't have any. I just suffered until I could afford them again. I'm not able to spend that much currently. I literally have over 85% of my paycheck going to student loan debts. Excuse me if I am concerned about budget and costs.

I'm sorry if my answer came across as condescending. That was not my intention. What I meant is you are worth the cost of relieving the symptoms that you're having as a result of vaping. We are all in the same boat and just trying to help you in whatever way that we can. Please believe me when I say that I really hope you get a resolution to your problem. Again, please accept my apology.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread