Bad method of steeping juice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Newland82

Apr 24, 2012
Ohio
Ok, I just received my small shipment of backwoods brew juices, each 10mL and 12Mg...Nutty, Casablanca and 555. I was very stoked to try these out, especially the 555, but couldn't help but notice how **itty they taste. So I'm figuring that maybe they need steeped. On to the topic at hand.

Steeping is pretty new to me, but I have kind of an idea of how it's done (leave cap off for 24 hours. Let sit atleast a few days. Longer is apparently better.

this is what I did... In my lack of experience, my desperation to steep the juices to find out if they really are good, and laziness to research more, I dumped the juices out into their own seperate little dishes (caps that were once on pickle containers) I feel that that increased amount of air getting to the liquid might speed up the chemical process(catalyst)of making juice taste less "chemical" and "sweeter/richer". I feel that simply leaving the cap off of the bottle might not get the process going fast enough.

Has anyone ever tried this before? Does it work ok/at all? I feel like this is either a bad idea, an unknown idea, or a method that is commonly used and I just haven't found the right thread/video discussing it.

Any help would be appreciated

Matt

Mr.Mann

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2011
All over the place
Someone will tell you about warm water or something to that effect. I say, relax and forget about it and leave it in your drawer for a week or so. Take it out and vape it once a week until it is to your liking. There is no one size fits all with this. Sometimes a juice is just nasty and has nothing to do with the age. Other times a juice ages a bit and becomes a completely different animal all together, but a really tasty animal;)

AvalonMyst

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
i just put my bottles in a plastic bag and put them in a cup with hot tap water and or nuke the water for 20 sec then put the bottles in it. i shake the bottles every once in a while till the water is room temp. that usually works to mix all the ingredients together and saves on the "steepin" time.

Newland82

Apr 24, 2012
Ohio
What in the world were you vaping before you got the BWB juice? They make some of the most popular juice on this planet. As far as steeping juice; pouring it out and then back into the bottle is risky at best. You can contaminate the juice and then it will be unvapable. See what MR. Mann said.

I have tried many juices, enough to know that I do not like fruity/sweet flavors. I actually started a thread about that a few weeks ago. I am completely DONE with trying "popular" juices/vendors because it seems that every time, I am let down. For instance. Boba's bounty. more like Boba's Booty. That stuff is just vomit/whiskey/sweet nasty...to me at least. They have a huge following, good for them, I will not try anymore though. I can guarantee you that Boba Fett would KILL whoever gave him that as a bounty because it is terrible and WAYYYYYYYY over-hyped....again...to me, that is. My next one that was super hyped was Vermillion River premium blends. That stuff is straight up sweet caramel juice, didn't like it. i tried a few different Halo juices...meh. Most recently it was of course Backwoods Brew and NOPE, not for me. Although, as stated earlier, I will let them steep but do not hold much hope for them.

I really like Bloog's 555, and i like Liberty Flight's Highway(555) and Original/American Red juice, and I will most likely not be ordering anything else. With those two juices, the same day that I received them in the mail, I vaped them and they were awesome.I have an extremely simple taste in ejuice. No sweets and no weird chemical tastes.

Mr.Mann

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2011
All over the place
Hey, you all know you can cook a steak in the microwave, right? It is super fast and easy, and a lot less time consuming than putting it on the grill...

I am only jiving with you! It is something so splendid to let things happen naturally, it really is. Plus, if you actually did try the microwave, I mean the "speed steep" method, whose to say it is the same as a mature 2 month old bottle anyway? I think a week shows up in taste, just like two weeks and beyond. So, vape some now and vape some later. What is referred to as "steeping" will happen as long as the juice is in your possesion, period!!! So, unless you plan on vaping it all in a week, the "steeping" wiil occur on its own; just keep it around, ya dig? :2c:

Ratchet

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I never tried pouring my juice into another container, especially not a pickle jar lid..... If any of the pickle juice soaked in the lid, I'd assume your juice will have a hint of pickle to it. YUCK! LOL! Pour it back in the bottle ASAP, let it sit (I know, it's HARD, i usually only make it a few days, then I HAVE to try it) and hope and pray you didn't create pickle-flavored ejuice. Time is everything when it comes to steeping. I tired some butterfly bait 2 days ago after only letting it sit for 4 days. It was good, but then I tried it again today, and OH MY! It is now delicious with a nutty undertone. Patience is a hard thing to have when it comes to juices, but it'll most likely pay off in the end. Good luck with your juice! :)

Newland82

Apr 24, 2012
Ohio
I never tried pouring my juice into another container, especially not a pickle jar lid..... If any of the pickle juice soaked in the lid, I'd assume your juice will have a hint of pickle to it. YUCK! LOL! Pour it back in the bottle ASAP, let it sit (I know, it's HARD, i usually only make it a few days, then I HAVE to try it) and hope and pray you didn't create pickle-flavored ejuice. Time is everything when it comes to steeping. I tired some butterfly bait 2 days ago after only letting it sit for 4 days. It was good, but then I tried it again today, and OH MY! It is now delicious with a nutty undertone. Patience is a hard thing to have when it comes to juices, but it'll most likely pay off in the end. Good luck with your juice! :)

That's a very good point but I probably should of mentioned that I did infact sterilize the lids in the dishwasher a while ago.

Anyway, I will let ya all know how bad this turns out :facepalm:

Sdh

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 31, 2010
U.S.
@newland82. Good luck on your steeping method. I strictly do diy. I can only speak for myself. I steep my diy liquids in warm-not boiling water for about 1 hour. I then let it breathe by taking off the cap for a few. I proceed to let it sit-untouched. The longest steep is one week. I usually cannot wait-most of my mixes are good to go within days.

Last edited:

harleydiva

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 9, 2012
Southern Michigan
I just stick my juices in the box and leave them alone for 2 weeks....most are pretty good at that point, but a few go back in the box. I have had a few that I hated at 2 weeks turn out to be pretty wonderful at 4 weeks. I would be kind of worried about contamination dumping them out like that. Nicotine oxidizes when exposed to air BTW.

Most of the guidelines I have seen say that tobacco juices need to steep longer than others...and many recommend 4 weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread