The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Bad News: The Aro Tank

Discussion in 'Tank Reviews' started by GoodNews!, Nov 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. GoodNews!

GoodNews! Moved On

Oct 25, 2013
    Vaping, USA
    So here's another review:

I was in my local B&M not too long ago, and while I was there, a (bimbo of a) young, probably not even 21-year-old employee kept rehearsing a recital about a "new Kanger product that just came in, I didn't even know we had them, I was so excited, and let me tell you, they hit fantastically and wick great." She performed this line on about 4 different customers. I was a little intrigued even though I dislike the Kanger brand, but I left the store.

I came back the next day, in a big hurry, and a different employee was working. I asked about the "new Kanger product" and instead of the employee explaining the brand, device, or virtually anything about it, she was quite busy and said, "Oh, it's over here in the case, the blue one has a 3.0 head installed, the black one has 2.5." I said that I'll take it, and she bagged it, and gave me the receipt. I didn't get a chance to even look at the product really, I just had some extra cash and wanted to test the hype. I had been to this vendor multiple times, and signing a receipt was a regular process for me, so I did it without looking.

I get home, I try the device, and instantly, it burns my liquid, and leaks all over the place. For those that don't know, I consider myself the "Leak Master" - while everyone in this forum seems to have tons of luck with great tasting devices, my luck is that I never, ever have problems with leaking. I know how to fill a tank, how to apply pressure when screwing devices together, and my draw technique is light and soft - I also listen for gurgling and never push my tank farther than it should go in the draw process.

So right away, I know something is wrong with this device. I look for a Kanger brand stamp - no brand. I think "Ok, this is a clone." I then go to my receipt, and it says "Aro Tank" and "Smok coils". Bingo. The next day, I call the vendor back, explain the marketing mistake on the part of their employees, and the vendor gets angry, tells me I'm wrong and confused, and actually slams the phone down as she hung up (they have a wall phone.) I call back, and after some more of the manager yelling, I explain marketing fraud laws very clearly, and suddenly, she gives into exchanging the product for a Kanger brand Evod. I say that I'd rather have a store credit, but as I say this, she suddenly says "Well, I'm sorry, but we can't exchange your product now anyway because the Evods have just ran out of stock and we won't be getting them in for a long time."

I again explain some technicalities involving the law, and the conversation ends. This is where I get fed up, and report the vendor to my local BBB.

Anyway, since it's an issue that won't be resolved, I did some further testing with the Aro Tank, and this is my review:

Taste - It burns up flavors, and I had a 2.8 head and vaping at 3.3-3.8.
    Design - It leaks everywhere.
    Purpose - There's no purpose to this tank at all, it's a ripoff of a tank that was invented about, what, 3 years ago?
    Rebuildability - I tried taking the heads apart, which was an utter nightmare (these aren't Protank heads, only Smoktech? clones.) and I couldn't get the stem to actually go back on the head. I ripped layers of my skin trying. One would need a pair of wedge pliers.
    Air Flow - The thing has no resistance at all. It is literally the airiest tank in the universe, no kidding.
    Modern Takes - The drip tip isn't even removable. What is this, 2009?

Overall, sorry for the short review, but quite frankly, this thing is junk, just don't buy it. It may be new, it may not be new, but it's years behind virtually anything else.

2. HippyGirl

HippyGirl Super Member ECF Veteran

Oct 30, 2009
    Alabama
    We finally have a few local ecig vendors, so as soon as I found out about it, off I go to see what they had. I knew I wanted to try one of the bottom feed tanks, so they convinced me to try the Aro...got one with two extra heads.

I ABSOLUTELY agree with you about the air flow...it's like sucking air through a drinking straw! Also, no matter what juice I've tried in it, it tastes slightly burnt to me, but there's also some sort of "plastic-y" undertone as well (best description I could come up with!).

I hate the thing...not the best first-time experience with a tank for sure!

3. BardicDruid

BardicDruid Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jul 25, 2009
    Central Texas
    Well my friend has been using the Aro's for about two months now without any problems, you said there was no branding, well a real Aro has 'Smok' laser etched on the bottom. What you two have sounds like the Smok counterfeits off FastTech.

4. DetraMental

DetraMental Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Mar 31, 2013
    United States
    Wow, I'm sorry you both had such bad experiences but glad you shared them here with us. Thanks BardicDruid for telling us what to look for. Maybe a pic would be nice. One of the clone and one of the read deal.

5. HippyGirl

Oct 30, 2009
    Alabama
    Perhaps that's the problem, then...no etching anywhere on the thing.

6. djsvapour

djsvapour ECF Guru ECF Veteran

Oct 2, 2012
    England and Wales
    Which size? There is a UK Vendor that sells 2 sizes, both from Smok, I am assured.

The smaller has SMOK on the base, the other doesn't.

I have looked on the SMOK website and cannot see the etching on the bigger version.

Could be something, could be nothing. I have one, it's very, very bad indeed.

7. HippyGirl

Oct 30, 2009
    Alabama
    Well, at least it wasn't a total loss...DH likes it so he can have it! :D

8. Daryl Glen

Daryl Glen Super Member ECF Veteran

Sep 23, 2013
    Titusville, FL, USA
    That's probably it. The OP said that the only place it said Aro was the receipt. I have two Aro's and they are completely awesome!

9. Nermal

Nermal Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Jun 8, 2013
    Farmington, NM USA
    I guess that all shows you can't review a clone and call it an Aro review, doesn't it?

10. toddrhodes

toddrhodes Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Mar 15, 2012
    United States
    I bought three of these from a reputable e-vendor but they're at home so I'll check them then. In any event, they are on the receipt as ARO Pyrex BCT but they don't say SMOK anywhere. In any event, they are garbage, just as OP described. I guess I didn't realize there were counterfeits of this thing out there. Sucks too, they weren't cheap :(

11. Daryl Glen

Daryl Glen Super Member ECF Veteran

Sep 23, 2013
    Titusville, FL, USA
    The Smok Aro I have was purchased for $5.99, and the pyrex version was $7.99. I got them at Welcome to Hoosier E-Cig - The Best E-cigs, Juices, and accesories
    They have the brand etched on the base. They perform amazing! So, if what you described "weren't cheap", then what did you buy???
    Not that I have lots of money or anything, but in this world, $6 and $8 for heads is not that expensive.

12. GoodNews!

GoodNews! Moved On

Oct 25, 2013
    Vaping, USA
    Just to check - the pyrex aro (with the steel outer cover) truly has a brand etched or painted onto the base? Even the ones on Smoktech don't seem to show that...

13. TheSystemHasFailed

TheSystemHasFailed Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Apr 19, 2013
    Valhalla
    Holy hell!
    I was literally gonna come in here, and do a hit and run with...GOOD NEEEEWS, CIGARETTE JUICE!

Then I see your avatar...YESSSSSSSSSSSSS!

BTW, I am SO spooked!

14. toddrhodes

toddrhodes Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Mar 15, 2012
    United States
    $7.99/tank is what I paid. I checked when I got home and there is no engraving on any parts. I bought mine at Madvapes.com. The three that I purchased are in the bin, if you will. Roughly $25 wasted because I didn't know to watch out for chinese BS is what upsets me. I don't hold the vendor accountable for that but rather my lack of research.

15. Sucker_dad

Sucker_dad Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Oct 3, 2013
    topeka, ks, USA
    What I have found is the Smoke Aro that is not pyrex is engraved with the Smok Logo. The Pyrex version has a bottom that has been machine knurled. It does not have any engraving as far as I can find. I went directly to their site for this.

16. txtumbleweed

txtumbleweed Resting In Peace ECF Veteran

Dec 7, 2009
    Walla Walla
    I picked up a couple of the Aro Pyrex clearomizers to try because they were much cheaper than the mini Pt's and they have worked very good so far. Where is the cheapest place to get heads for them?

17. hawkeye46

hawkeye46 Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

The pyro aro has become my favorite tank--great taste, plumes of vapor, and the coils seem to last longer than the kanger coils. I also have the pro-tank, mini pt, evod, and t3s tanks. I prefer the aro over all of them, although the protank is a close second. Just my opinion.--Bo

18. GoodNews!

GoodNews! Moved On

Oct 25, 2013
    Vaping, USA
    With my Aro heads that I have are an absolute joke. Once you take off the top column of the head to inspect the wick, no amount of inhuman strength can get the columns back into the head - they simply will not fit back on, and they're quite hard to get off as well. A machine would literally have to attach these things. It's like this on multiple heads. Then, one of the heads got completely stuck on the base - no crossthreading or anything, it went on smoothly and I applied no strong pressure. But it simply will not come off. It is an absolute nightmare. $15 in all completely down the drain. This thing is an absolute prank.

19. hawkeye46

hawkeye46 Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Yes, the heads do pull off with difficulty, and getting them back on can be tough. However, I must possess inhuman strength as I have been able to change the flavor wicks on several of them. Bo--:banana:

20. hurricanegirl100

hurricanegirl100 Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Once you DO get that center post off of the Aro head, you'll find that it's bent. I had to use needle-nose pliers to get the center post off. I got the head cleaned up, but when I went to put it back together, the center post was bent, and didn't align properly with the air tube inside the tank.

I still think the Aro is a good clearomizer. If I want to change flavors using the same head, I just rinse the entire head off under warm water (w/o taking the head apart), rinse out the tank, blow it all out, dry it all off, and put it back together. Works fine. After a few toots, I can't taste what was in there anymore.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.