Ban on all forms of smoking on Maricopa County property

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Recently they announced at work as of Mar. 16, 2016 that all Maricopa County property will be Smoke Free Zones. I'm not sure how this will be or can be enforced, but on all county property smoking will not be allowed.

When I heard this I was enraged, but what can we do.

My question is how we can respectfully voice an opinion knowing this is coming up. We have no floor of discussion, what can be done or are there no options. It is a business rule not a law and it is their property where people have to come to do business.

This will involve many court buildings where the public comes in many not by choice to do all types of business many come out and immediately smoke.

I believe by the law any type of smoke coming from a devise must be at least 20 feet from an entrance, door or window.

REALLY mad in Phoenix

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
Recently they announced at work as of Mar. 16, 2016 that all Maricopa County property will be Smoke Free Zones. I'm not sure how this will be or can be enforced, but on all county property smoking will not be allowed.

When I heard this I was enraged, but what can we do.

My question is how we can respectfully voice an opinion knowing this is coming up. We have no floor of discussion, what can be done or are there no options. It is a business rule not a law and it is their property where people have to come to do business.

This will involve many court buildings where the public comes in many not by choice to do all types of business many come out and immediately smoke.

I believe by the law any type of smoke coming from a devise must be at least 20 feet from an entrance, door or window.

REALLY mad in Phoenix
The owner of property can decide to allow vaping or not allow vaping. That would apply to all property owners including governments that own property. I'm sure you won't change their minds about making the rule but you might make the point that there is no justification for them to tell other's what to do about vaping on their property. Then there will be what actually happens in practice. If somebody discretely takes a hit from a mod once in a while out doors are they going to call out the SWAT team, probably not.

Reactions: jdy

inspects

Squonkamaniac
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 15, 2014
Arizona, Ecuador
It's like that in Scottsdale now...I was on jury duty a few months ago. Signs were posted no smoking within 20 feet of the courthouse door. That was the only sign I seen. There was nothing posted about vaping. I still seen folks on the front steps smoking away with cops walking by...nobody said anything to the folks smoking.

You work for Maricopa county?

jdy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Hi All, By law currently there is no smoking anything within 20 feet of any entrance which is accepted that is the norm.

But with their new business rules they expect no vaping or smoking anything, it will not be allowed on the property. Not only the buildings, but also parking lots, parks, walkways, garages, and any land owned by the county.

Must we just be excepted it, I feel we have no rights in this situation.
Thank you all for the thoughts on the matter.

jdy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
It's like that in Scottsdale now...I was on jury duty a few months ago. Signs were posted no smoking within 20 feet of the courthouse door. That was the only sign I seen. There was nothing posted about vaping. I still seen folks on the front steps smoking away with cops walking by...nobody said anything to the folks smoking.

You work for Maricopa county?
This will begin March 16, 2016 on all county property, I expect after that you will see signs.

jdy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
It was my understanding that all gov't bldgs of any kind are automatically smoke-free. At least, in GA. A few counties in GA have passed no-vaping on the property too, but not a great many; GA is mostly pretty accepting of vaping.

Andria
Thanks Andria, I like that website some good ideas.

Reactions: AndriaD

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
Wasn't there there was a song written about this, like 45 years ago?

Geez, I guess it has been that long, maybe even longer. Time really flies when you're having... a life. "Do this, don't do that, can't you read the sign?" Always liked the song, always hated how true it is.

Andria

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
So I guess theoretically this would apply to...
--Lake Pleasant Regional Park
--Spur Cross Ranch Conservation Area
--Cave Creek Regional Park
--McDowell Mountain Regional Park
--Usery Mountain Regional Park
--Estrella Mountain Regional Park
--Buckeye Hills Regional Park
--White Tank Mountain Regional Park
--Adobe Dam Regional Park

Reactions: LaraC and jdy

jdy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
So I guess theoretically this would apply to...
--Lake Pleasant Regional Park
--Spur Cross Ranch Conservation Area
--Cave Creek Regional Park
--McDowell Mountain Regional Park
--Usery Mountain Regional Park
--Estrella Mountain Regional Park
--Buckeye Hills Regional Park
--White Tank Mountain Regional Park
--Adobe Dam Regional Park

Wow, looking at all of those locations makes it almost comical. If those are properties owned by Maricopa County those poor rangers may have to have a new job description written.
Thank you!

OldBatty

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 28, 2014
North Georgia USA
Land is owned by bugmint, bugmint is owned by the people... or so it says somewhere.

Always wondered about how these 'Keep off the grass' signs got in the middle of the grass...

Few years ago I watched as a maintenance person installed a "No pedestrian traffic" sign on a large (fork lift / vehicle access) door. After they installed the sign they proceeded to - yep, you guessed it walk through the door to install the second sign on the outside. They were not amused when I called them out on their violation of "posted rules":p

Reactions: jdy

Steamix

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2013
Vapistan
Few years ago I watched as a maintenance person installed a "No pedestrian traffic" sign on a large (fork lift / vehicle access) door. After they installed the sign they proceeded to - yep, you guessed it walk through the door to install the second sign on the outside. They were not amused when I called them out on their violation of "posted rules":p

Liability and hungry lawyers.

If the location is convenient pedestrians will slip through as they've done before. The sign just makes it harder to play I-sue-the-pants-off-ya game after you've had a close encounter with a forklift tine...

The usual CYA ...

Reactions: Rossum
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread