• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Banned from my local pub

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anks

May 19, 2009
Hi all, total newbie here to both the e-cig and the forum

Firstly I have to say I am not sure if I have the right one - I bought off ebay and getting pretty inconsistent duration of smokes (sorry vapours) from each capsule - think I have a 'Super mini' (or a copy version) - the box is just a blue box with the words 'super cigarette' on it.

It is working for me so far but and am now finding that there are a million and one out there so if you know any better then please let me know.

The main reason for the thread (if its OK with the rules) is that I have been banned from using my e-cig in my local boozer. The reason given was that people thought I was smoking a REAL cigarette and the landlord could do without the hassle of explaining

Has anyone else come across pubs and clubs like this and if so have you any ideas on how to change their minds

CatVTTV

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 26, 2009
Tyne & Wear, UK
www.cpnewcastle.co.uk
Hi and Welcome to the Forum !

A lof of people buy e cigs that dont resemble real cigarettes, for example all Black models with blue LED tips, so that no one can mistake them for a real cigarette, which can cause the problems you have faced.

Your landlord is of course within his rights, especially if it is causing problems with his other customers, but I think you will find that if you get one less like a cigarette, and show it to him, it is likely he will come around.

Hopefully those who have already established a good rapour with their landlords etc will be able to give you more advice than I can.

Sorry to hear about that. I guess that is one of the down sides of having a vapourizer that looks like an "analog" cigarette. Many people choose alternative colours (in part) for the reason you have encountered. It may not have solved the problem you have but perhaps having a "normal" looking e-cig it didn't help.

Many of the "non-cigarette" coloured units come with blue or green LEDs on the tips to further distinguish them from "analogs" or "real" cigarettes, although that gains at least as much attention if not more, it can help calm some peoples sense of "anger" down a notch.

The unit you have doesn't sound familiar to me but it is undoubtedly a derivative of one of the many ones that are more familiar. Like with even the best units you will eventually (sooner rather than later I dare say) find yourself in need of a spare battery or two and some new atomizers. It's probably best to get into the healthy mindset that these are "consumables"...that's just the way it is with the way these things are built nowadays.

Models like the "901" (the one I currently use) and the "801" or "Classic pen style" are considered the basic work horses and could get you started with some kit that you will easily get spares and support for.

Unfortunately, even though the law is on your side in terms of vaping in pubs...or anywhere really... the Landlord is the king of his castle and I wouldn't fancy the argument with him. This is pretty virgin territory for everyone and it is easier for most people to just say "no" as they can't be bothered to be fussed with the details. You could always find a quiet time to bring it up again and perhaps let him see the kit (especially if you get a "non-cig" style unit), it may help to let him allow you a trial go with it, just be prepared to speak with the other patrons to explain it and let him know you would be happy to do so. I let my landlord laugh it off as silly and played up to that and that seemed to make him feel better. Igot the same reaction from others until I told them a bit more about it.

Does that help?

Last edited:

Yick

ECF Veteran
May 4, 2009
North West UK
Hi all, total newbie here to both the e-cig and the forum

Firstly I have to say I am not sure if I have the right one - I bought off ebay and getting pretty inconsistent duration of smokes (sorry vapours) from each capsule - think I have a 'Super mini' (or a copy version) - the box is just a blue box with the words 'super cigarette' on it.

It is working for me so far but and am now finding that there are a million and one out there so if you know any better then please let me know.

The main reason for the thread (if its OK with the rules) is that I have been banned from using my e-cig in my local boozer. The reason given was that people thought I was smoking a REAL cigarette and the landlord could do without the hassle of explaining

Has anyone else come across pubs and clubs like this and if so have you any ideas on how to change their minds

You could always try -------
The ban on smoking has contributed to closing 79 pubs a day in the UK card :)
Get some e cigs behind your bar and bring the smokers back ;)
Did you show him your ecig before you starting using it ?
Always a good idea in my experience, i have vaped at least 10 different pubs and clubs so far , with no problems at all.
But you must have the decency to explain to there owners what it is and how it has stopped you smoking. :thumb:

Anks

May 19, 2009
Thanks for the welcomes and advice

I agree totally to get the thumbs up from a landlord before piling straight in and doing it. This particular one knows all about the e-cig as a week earlier I had spoken to him about it and how I was thinking of getting one.

My own view is similar to Yick and I think he is missing a trick in not offering them for sale in his pub - unless there is some law against it, then it can only be a good thing for smokers but he could market the pub as an e-cig friendly pub.

I understand that on a Friday or Saturday night that it may encourage others to illegally smoke who would be difficult to spot in a pub where people smoked their e-cig but surely the barring should be on those that do wish to break the (unfair) anti smoking law

Do any of you know anywhere that a landlord has succesfully sold e-cig to people in his pub, and how they went about it? It seems it is the only way I will be able to enjoy a pint in my local now if I can show him he can make a little money out of it :thumb:

tomlondon1978

May 22, 2009
Ive been almost thrown out a lot of places, even had a bouncer grab me by the back of the neck once.

Mine looks like a cigarette though, pretty much every where has been fine once Ive explained and a few places I let them try it and one the bouncers went and smoked it behind the bar for a laugh.

A couple of places have asked me politely if I would stop, mainly because they said other customers might see it and light up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread