Not open for further replies.

RPadTV

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 12, 2012
Planet Awesome
www.rpad.tv
What do you think of pre-made barrel-style coils like the Joyetech Notch Coil and iJoy TSS Coil? The initial models are using stainless steel barrels and nickel legs. The idea is to combine the surface area of a Clapton, the fast ramp-up of a traditional coil, and the convenience of pre-made coils. Any of you intrigued?

Unexist

Dec 23, 2015
Austria / STMK
Well, when I first saw these coils in a video from SuckMyMod I was really excited. But I think there will be more cons than pros, here is what I think:

- The main thing is that you can't build your own coils.
- You are somehow dependent from a company even if the price is low.
- The resistance is pretty low (~.25 to .4 Ohms)
- I think wicking this thing might be a pain in the ... if you prefer the "scottish roll" due to the sharp edges.

cindycated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 19, 2011
San Francisco, CA
It would be a nightmare to wick if it weren't deburred on the inside, but I'm guessing it will be, so should be piece of cake, maybe easier, since it's basically a solid tube that won't get all mangled. :thumb:

I like that the ends are thicker than traditional coils - I hate it when the + wire gets thinner there. With the ends being fortified like that, they should last longer...unless the welds fail at the legs. That would be a pain, as SS is a PITA to weld/solder onto - so once the legs fall/break off, the coil is toast. Can you dry burn these, even with the nickel legs? They'd be no-go for me if you can't. Bad enough that I'd be back to buying pre-made coils with these - almost as bad as buying clearo heads. They better be A LOT cheaper than clearo heads! :grr: If they were in the same price range as the other pre-made coils that are out now (like this one $2.04 Authentic MKWS 316L Stainless Steel Pre-Coiled Wires for RBA Atomizers (10-Pack) - 26/32 AWG / 0.4mm/0.2mm dia. / 0.32ohm at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping ), I'd definitely be trying them out, as I've been looking for something like this for a really long time now.

sparkky1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2014
Nashville
What is "Clapton like" about the notch? am I missing something.

More surface area but I'm with Ninja your simple parallel can emulate that much the same, as for it being clapton like, they are worlds apart being that claptons have an outer and 2 inner cores wound together making it a wick within a wick ...........

well.....

the ramp time is crazy short, even at low wattage. I'm vaping mine at 25 watts, even though it's recommended at 40 watts. I like a cool vape. it has a LOT of surface area but is extremely thin. This is NOT a coil you'd want to hit with a lot of power; it's almost like a stainless steel foil. It's less than half the thickness of kanthal ribbon.

wicking is easy, but a scottish roll is CRITICAL. it's got to be stuffed tight or it will dry hit. cotton doesn't catch on anything.

It gunks up quickly, but taste is nice and clean before it's gunked up. I vape Strawberry Circus and gunking is always an issue with this juice. I like SS316 but it gets very dirty very quickly, which is why I don't use this metal much.

cleaning: dry burning kind of works, but it leaves a very weird and bad tasting residue, almost like rust. I just pull the coil and manually clean it with fine sandpaper and a wire brush for the inside.

despite rewicking every other day (the wick is fine, it's the coil that needs cleaning), and the fact that I can run the tank dry in minutes, I can't seem to put down my Theorem. So they did something right with it. Even if the performance was subpar, which is isn't, the design is elegant and innovative. What's very strange is that despite no seal between the tank and upper deck, it doesn't leak. Water probably would, but max VG's viscosity probably makes this simple design work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread