Status
Not open for further replies.

Roxxette

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 4, 2012
Caribbean
First :) thank you in advance to anyone that looks here i appreciate.

Ok so today i was charging my batterys and after a while i came back and they been done , when i removed from the charger i noticed that one of the batterys had the little plastic circle in the down side a little ripped so stupid me pulled it and now these is how it looks:

be7c46b7-4cc3-c702.jpg

Is these battery still good ? Or i should toss it :( ???

Thanks again !

Switched

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2010
Dartmouth, NS Canada
First :) thank you in advance to anyone that looks here i appreciate.

Ok so today i was charging my batterys and after a while i came back and they been done , when i removed from the charger i noticed that one of the batterys had the little plastic circle in the down side a little ripped so stupid me pulled it and now these is how it looks:

be7c46b7-4cc3-c702.jpg

Is these battery still good ? Or i should toss it :( ???

Thanks again !
Nope! Toss it! Any cracks or tears in the shrink wrap is an accident waiting to happen.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I don't see a problem. The heat shrink wrap is equivalent to the paint on alkaline batteries. Many different manufacturers sell batteries made by the same manufacturer. The shrink wrap is their way of installing their proprietary logo and design on a plain silver metal cell. That's the negative end, anyway. It's designed to contact the case of the device.

Switched

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2010
Dartmouth, NS Canada
I don't see a problem. The heat shrink wrap is equivalent to the paint on alkaline batteries. Many different manufacturers sell batteries made by the same manufacturer. The shrink wrap is their way of installing their proprietary logo and design on a plain silver metal cell. That's the negative end, anyway. It's designed to contact the case of the device.
That would entirely depend on the application!

Many a learned individual would disagree with you. I personally air on the side of caution. IMMHO there has been far too many incidents of late. Do we need another one? I am not speaking with a vendor's point of view, but as a safety minded vaper.

5vz

ECF Veteran
Jan 19, 2011
in here somewhere USA
I toss them when any damage occurs, or when they no longer hold charge as long as they used to. It is much safer and cheaper to buy new batteries then to chance a horrible mishap. No tape adding here, just asking for more to go wrong in my mind, say tape sticking to side of mod and can't remove it, bits of lint causing some sort of short, etc...

Spazmelda

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2011
Ohio
I was going to post a similar question. I've got a practically new AW IMR 18650 that has a little tear in the shrink wrap right about in the middle of the battery. Other than that it works fine. Charges fine, puts out 4.2 volts fresh off the charger.

Does anyone know if you can just get some replacement shrink wrap and rewrap them? I hate to throw away a practically new battery that is otherwise working fine, but of course I don't want to vape on something that's going to explode either.

Semiretired

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 24, 2011
Middle Georgia
The one thing that I would worry from with a tear in the wrap would be the ability to cause a short in the battery since the cell could now touch a metal something inside the mod, which is not good for batteries... There is one gentleman here that I have seen wrap his batts, but I do not know where he got the wrap from...

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
All but the top center contact is negative (ground). What you have to worry about is the center post touching ground. What happened here is probably from repeated insertion and removal from the charger contacts. I wouldn't be worried about it, but anyone who is shouldn't use it. For $5-$7, you can get a new one.

Shorts can cause explosions, but I don't see that happening here unless the mod has wiring that could present a positive voltage contact with the case of the cell. If that's the case, THAT problem should be fixed.

ETA: If it's a protected battery, the shrink wrap also encloses the protection circuit at the bottom. In that case, there's a thin disc (protection module) attached under the negative end inside the shrink wrap. If that's compromised, there could be an issue.

Last edited:

DonG

ECF Veteran
Nov 5, 2010
Jville, AL
as long as there was not a protection circuit (small metal disk) on the bottom of the battery then I would use it (maybe with the electrical tape or dime tube cover. if there was a protection circuit, then there is a small positive "ribbon wire" from top to bottom on the battery under the shrinkwrap. A tear in the wrap could result in this wire shorting to the body of your PV; in this case toss the battery or find some good shrinkwrap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread