Batteries Can't Swim

Status
Not open for further replies.

SnowDragon

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jul 28, 2010
Boise, Idaho
I don't know if this will work, but it does a great job on cell phones. (Dropped mine in the river a few times) First of all is the this a bling battery or a standard?

If it's a standard, pop the ash cap off and put it in container of white rice, the starch should absorb the moisture.
I would probably use a high ball glass, put an inch of rice on the bottom, then put the battery in the middle of the glass, battery connector end down and surround it with rice so it's entombed.

Use the kind of white (Hinode or CalRose) rice you would put in a rice steamer as it has plenty of starch and let it sit in the rice for 2 days. As long as you didn't try and draw off of it, it probably didn't short out.

Hope that works......

Last edited:

Mirage Hart

ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2011
KC, MO
WHEW!!! I have finally found something that makes me love my jewelry better than a battery!! I can get my jewelry wet!! I have been craving every color battery, just like I have in gems... now maybe I can release my battery addiction!

And Sally... I really REALLY hope you can salvage your battery!! It will likely happen to me one day, and I am hoping to know how to save it!

Sallyem

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 14, 2010
California
It's a manual XL battery, Snow. As a modern American cook, I have Marie Calendar's meals, but no rice.
I have rice-a-roni....would that work? (without the roni, of course). I have instant potatoes...that's
starchy. I can put it in that. What do you think?

I put it in a boxfull of Rice-a-Roni. Oh well. The light still comes on when I push the button....oops...
I shouldn't have pushed the button??? Something about black batteries and my luck....I have broken,
lost or drowned them all.

Last edited:

SnowDragon

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jul 28, 2010
Boise, Idaho
O.K. well if it's a manual XL just take a sewing needle and look for the small rectangular notch on the edge of the Ash Cap and pry it off, it should come out pretty easily and it just pops right back in when you are ready.

Sorry Salleyem, but those won't work....I wish they did just to save you the trip to the store. Rice-a-Roni, Uncle Bens etc. is already washed and has very little to no starch powder. And corn starch is too powdery and may clump in areas on centralized moisture.

Japanese white rice is coated in a starchy powder, the rice is so large it won't fall into the battery or harm the electronics, and because of it's shape it allow air wick out.

In your area Von's should carry a small bag, I think they're under $5.00.

Last edited:

jamvector

ECF Veteran
Feb 3, 2010
Wisconsin
Sally, I am personally deeply offended that you are insinuating that batteries can't swim. You did not raise it very well, you must constantly reaffirm that it CAN swim, if it tries really, really hard! :laugh:

I give it 20-80 odds it will work after drying out.

I have a black XL from spring 2010, it fell out of my shirt pocket last June at the recycling center, found it the next week near the dumpster. It had been run over numerous times, all scrunched up and mangled - I'm vaping it right now. There is hope; talk to your battery, tell it how special it is, coax it back to the light, good luck!

SnowDragon

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jul 28, 2010
Boise, Idaho
Now don't you listen to Jamvector, you are too a good battery mother. Jamvector basically abandoned his battery near a dumpster, flyers?, search party?, lost and found ad?...I think not. Then after a week of being run over by cars, left to the open elements, and only when it's convenient on his terms with the least amount of effort does he retrieve it.

That poor abused battery, yet does it still provide Jamvector the power to vape?....Yes.

Why I'll bet you instantly sprang into action and retrieved your battery, holding it gently in your loving maternal hands, grief stricken over the catastrophic flash of events as you gently dried off the offending water. Your a good battery mother Salleyem!

Shame on you Jamvector!!!!! :glare:

plantlvr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2009
Northern California
I watered my batt last summer while watering plants at work, wish i would have saved it and tried to revive it, but I tossed it like yesterdays trash :(.
On a funnier note one of the County Ag inspectors accidently dropped the car keys to his County vehicle in the stores toilet a few years back, and it was an automatic flush toilet, good-by keys :laugh:

keelalagirl55

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Jan 25, 2011
Sally...another thing you could try if you have any of it...the silica stuff that comes in some electronics boxes, vitamins, etc...you know the little packets that say "DO NOT EAT"....lol....those work really good too at drawing moisture. We keep them in the workshop with the ca glue (super glue) as moisture is it's WORST enemy.....I have even found them in shoe boxes.

krazie_Kid

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 10, 2010
Long Island
www.vapor4life.com
There was a thread a while back about a guy who dropped his batt in the toilet! He said he dried it and for a few days and is vaping it!

LOLOL That was me!!! I dropped my e cig in the toilet and it vaped right after I grabbed it out of the toilet. (Of course I threw out the carto) But it was fine.

Didn't you find yours in the snow after it all melted MK?

hairball

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 17, 2010
Other Places
Put it in some rice for a few days or those gel thingys if you can find them. I hope you can save it. I ran one threw the washer and dryer and didn't know it until I got the clothes out of the dryer. Mine was manual. I took the cover off the end of the battery and let it sit for a week...it works just fine.

Sallyem

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 14, 2010
California
Why I'll bet you instantly sprang into action and retrieved your battery, holding it gently in your loving maternal hands, grief stricken over the catastrophic flash of events as you gently dried off the offending water. Your a good battery mother Salleyem!
Shame on you Jamvector!!!!! :glare:
:lol::lol::lol: You crack me up Snow! Love U!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sallyem

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 14, 2010
California
Sally...another thing you could try if you have any of it...the silica stuff that comes in some electronics boxes, vitamins, etc...you know the little packets that say "DO NOT EAT"....lol....those work really good too at drawing moisture. We keep them in the workshop with the ca glue (super glue) as moisture is it's WORST enemy.....I have even found them in shoe boxes.

Thank You, Keelalagirl55!! Yes, I know what you are talking about....but I'm afraid I toss those things as I find them. From now on I am going to SAVE them (along with all the other things I save).

Morandir835

Idiot Guru
ECF Veteran
Jan 2, 2011
Outside DC
Krazie sir I'm saying it again, I'm not vaping anything that has fallen into a toliet... I dropped a batt on the bathroom floor at work, I refused to vape it until it had been cleaned in alcohol and the carto was tossed into the trash....

I'm with Snow sir on this one, you weren't a bad mom just clumsy, sounds like Jamvector sir was trying to do a back alley abortion on his batt but when he found out it was still alive out of guilt (and hope the cops wouldn't arrest him) he took the little fella home... Way more abusive....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread