Batteries for Sub Ohming and Safety tips

Status
Not open for further replies.

Radium

Mar 22, 2014
Austin, Tx, USA
I have been using an AGA t2 on a Vamo for some time now and am confident in my ability to build coils on top of SS mesh. I recently decided I wanted to take things to the next level and purchased an Hcigar Nemesis clone so I could sub ohm.

As far as general safety tips I have been told that I should start off at like .9ohms and go down from there.

I'm a bit confused as to the virtues of different batteries as they relate to sub ohming though. A lot of people seem to be saying Sony VTC5 is a good battery for sub ohm coils. How do those compare with VTC3 & VTC4? Is the only difference between the VTC family the mAh? What about the MKNE? I am leaning towards a Sony VTC4. I also have found many posts claiming AW IMRs are great batteries for sub ohming as well, however these seem to mostly be older. I believe the consensus I am getting from newer posts is that VTC4 is the way to go.

Sorry for the newb question but I am a little bit overwhelmed by the myriad configurations possible, and the plethora of information to be found on this site.

Should I put a fuse in my mech mod for safety? Will a fuse diminish performance at all?

CreepyLady

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2013
Salem, MA, USA
What matters out of the batteries you have listed is the "C Rating". You need to use batteries with proper chemistry (IMR or Hybrid) and with an appropriate C Rating to handle your builds.

If the C Rating is 10A it can handle up to 10 Amp draw. Rule for safety is not to exceed 75% (in the case of 10A - 7.5Amps) of your max C rating so if you do have a failure you have a little cushion for error.

To determine your Amps - 4.2 V is a fully charged battery - you should always use this for your calculations- you divide volts by ohms. So 4.2 V / 0.9 O = 4.66 Amps. That final # is what you need to know and compare with your battery's C Rating.

Sony VTC 3,4,5 = 30A C Rating - varying mAh 1600,2100,2600
AW IMR 1600mAh= 24A C Rating
AW IMR 2000mAh= 10A C Rating

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Daleron gave you a link to my blog which lists most of the high drain IMR & hybrid batteries that we use, including batteries used for sub-ohm vaping. The list hasn't been updated yet to include a couple new additions on the market such as the latest Sony V5 or the purple Efests.

Once you have created your coil, you always want to double check the ohm rating before firing it on a mod. An ohm reader or digital multimeter is used for this. Once you know the resistance, use the Ohm's Law Calculator which Creepy Lady referred to. The current (amps) draw of the coil must not exceed the amp limit of your particular battery.

The Nitecore i2 charger is fine to use with any Lithium battery, as are the Pila and Xtar chargers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread