Batteries getting harder to import?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    I went to RTD tonight to get some new 18650's, and oos on anything I wanted. I contacted him, and he said he has 2 large orders hung up in customs, and it's getting more difficult to import these batteries. A sign of things to come?

Many of these companies selling cells play fast & loose with the packaging/labeling regulations to save money and time or aren’t even aware of all the requirements for shipping cells. It can cause all sorts of problems when the shipment reaches customs.

I’m not aware of any new regulations but enforcement might be getting stricter and more widespread due to the fires that have occurred during shipping over the past couple of years. This will catch more and more of the companies that don’t follow the regs to the letter and the shipments will be held up as a result.

Just my personal thoughts and conjecture...

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
    ECF Veteran
    May 22, 2010
    Central GA
    High end flashlights are mainstream these days. 18650 is the bread and butter cell for most of them with more and more using 21700. I don't see battery shipping as coming to an end, but we will probably see stricter packaging requirements with outside labeling to advise shippers and ensure safer handling.

IMO, the plastic snap top boxes with padding in boxes that most are shipped in should be sufficient.

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread