Batteries giving off a strange smell.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spawncx

May 4, 2015
Just got my first mod with replaceable batteries (Voopoo drag.) I bought myself 4 Samsung 25 r batteries. They do not get warm when charging, I charged them on the lowest setting on an external charger. After firing the mod for a little while I popped the back off to see if the batteries were getting warm, since the tank was (smok tfv8) they weren't warm, but had a strange smell. It wasn't anything powerful, since I could only smell them with the cover off. It's kind of metallic, pretty sure I've smelled this on other batteries as well. Should I be concerned? For now I have removed the batteries and put them all in containers. If there was a vape shop near me I would take the batteries to them and ask for help, but unfortunately I live in a small town and this isn't an option - they took almost a week just to get here. For reference, I am using a 0.15 ohm coil and vaping at 80 watts. The batteries seem fine other than this smell, they aren't damage, don't get hot, and seem to charge, hold their charge, and do everything they need to. It would really suck to have to order new batteries, so hopefully this is normal and nothing of concern.. sorry for the long post, thanks for the help.

Reactions: stols001

Spawncx

May 4, 2015
Did you get the batteries from a reputable dealer? You sure it isn't the mod making the smell. 2 battery mod right? Those batteries should be able to handle 80w in two battery mod without problem.
I believe they are reputable. They get good reviews, and don't seem shady. 180 smoke if you want to check it out yourself. I don't think it's the mod, since after I remove them I smell it on the batteries

Spawncx

May 4, 2015
If they aren't getting hot, no sure I would worry about it. They sound ok though I have never noticed a metallic or other smell from batteries.
It's a very hard to describe smell, it's like metallic and acidic. I have emailed the vendor so I'll see what they say, I'm probably being over cautious but I really don't want to chance things.

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
It's a very hard to describe smell, it's like metallic and acidic. I have emailed the vendor so I'll see what they say, I'm probably being over cautious but I really don't want to chance things.
That is probably the best course of action here. We could always tag @Mooch, ECF's current battery guru and maybe he will offer an opinion. (see how I did that, lol)

:)

Spawncx

May 4, 2015
That is probably the best course of action here. We could always tag @Mooch, ECF's current battery guru and maybe he will offer an opinion. (see how I did that, lol)

Haha, very sneaky - I've heard of the legendary mooch, even used some of his charts when helping me decide on what battery to go for, his opinion here would be greatly appreciated, thanks for tagging him! And thanks for the advice you gave me, gonna leave the batteries alone until I get a response.

Spawncx

May 4, 2015
Hopefully you have another vape set up to use while you are waiting?
I do, an asprie zelos and nautilus 2. It's not the most advanced thing but good for what it is, so thankfully I do have that! Just sucks I cant use this new setup I've been wanting for a couple months haha

Spawncx

May 4, 2015
Yes, it does suck, but better safe than sorry. Would not want to hear of any vape related injuries in the news.
Exactly, since I'm very inexperienced with these types of batteries I don't want to be taking any chances. Worse case scenario, I get a new set of batteries from perhaps a more reliable vendor and toss these out.

• Winner

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
Exactly, since I'm very inexperienced with these types of batteries I don't want to be taking any chances. Worse case scenario, I get a new set of batteries from perhaps a more reliable vendor and toss these out.
I would hope the vendor would replace them, especially if they are brand new. Or maybe refund your $ so you could buy from a known reliable battery vendor. I know of some in the US, but the shop you mentioned earlier is in Canada. Is that where you are?

• Agree

Spawncx

May 4, 2015
I would hope the vendor would replace them, especially if they are brand new. Or maybe refund your $ so you could buy from a known reliable battery vendor. I know of some in the US, but the shop you mentioned earlier is in Canada. Is that where you are?
Yeah I'm Canadian, unfortunately vaping hasn't taken off quite as well as it has in the states here. Kinda hard to know which shops are good and what shops to avoid, I got my previous setup from there and it worked flawlessly, so I figured it would be safe to try their batteries. I know the Samsung batteries are very susceptible to re-wrapping, but these don't appear to be re-wrapped. I'm just hoping the smell is either normal or something else.

dom qp

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 15, 2015
South Central... Ontario
Yeah I'm Canadian, unfortunately vaping hasn't taken off quite as well as it has in the states here. Kinda hard to know which shops are good and what shops to avoid, I got my previous setup from there and it worked flawlessly, so I figured it would be safe to try their batteries. I know the Samsung batteries are very susceptible to re-wrapping, but these don't appear to be re-wrapped. I'm just hoping the smell is either normal or something else.

Hello fellow Canadian. I'm in Kitchener and we got a ton of great shops. There's also a ton in Toronto/Hamilton. Oddly enough, the best shops i've visited don't really have websites. Just contact pages but no products or anything.

Not related to your post but biggest tip for a Canadian, check out Bargain E-Juice

$15 for 120ml. Miranda is usually very highly recommended.

I edited my post about 180 vape. I mixed it up with 180 smoke. 180 smoke was hacked and people had their credit card details stolen. They also got kicked out of vapecan.

Last edited:
  • Useful

Spawncx

May 4, 2015
Hello fellow Canadian. I'm in Kitchener and we got a ton of great shops. There's also a ton in Toronto/Hamilton. Oddly enough, the best shops i've visited don't really have websites. Just contact pages but no products or anything.

Not related to your post but biggest tip for a Canadian, check out Bargain E-Juice

$15 for 120ml. Miranda is usually very highly recommended.

I edited my post about 180 vape. I mixed it up with 180 smoke. 180 smoke was hacked and people had their credit card details stolen. They also got kicked out of vapecan.
Awesome thank you for the recommendation. I would love to go to a shop and talk to people in person, unfortunately I live in a small town (Few hours north of Toronto) and driving a few hours to go to a shop just isn't feasible. I've also checked out juice on the loose, a shop in sudbury - they seem pretty good too. If you have an suggestions for reputable stores that also sell coils, battery, etc - I'd be glad to check them out. Also, what you mentioned about 180 smoke is very concerning.. Getting kicked out of vapecon is one thing, but hacked credit cards? Definitely won't be ordering from them anymore

dom qp

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 15, 2015
South Central... Ontario
Awesome thank you for the recommendation. I would love to go to a shop and talk to people in person, unfortunately I live in a small town (Few hours north of Toronto) and driving a few hours to go to a shop just isn't feasible. I've also checked out juice on the loose, a shop in sudbury - they seem pretty good too. If you have an suggestions for reputable stores that also sell coils, battery, etc - I'd be glad to check them out. Also, what you mentioned about 180 smoke is very concerning.. Getting kicked out of vapecon is one thing, but hacked credit cards? Definitely won't be ordering from them anymore

Yeah, but just want to emphasize... it was 180 SMOKE not 180 VAPE.

The Canadian community is actually really tightly nit. There's a different website that is a lot more active. The vendors do a ton of giveaways (at least a couple a week) and they have deals/sales/promo codes they give out a couple times a month.

To give you an example: Yesterday someone posted about one of their juices tasting like vaseline. The owner of the company looked into it, the users looked at their bottles to check if they had the same batch, and in the end they just talked it out in a real conversation. No PR garbage of fake talk, they handled it like grown adults with no animosity or anything. Everyone calls the guy Phil by his first name, because him (along with other vendors) are always there and as active users as a regular Joe.

Here are some really good vendors:

Juice
  • Bargain E-Juice. This is the cheapest juice you will find and the quality is really good for what you pay. I buy 4 bottles of 120ml a month minimum from them: Bargain E-Juice
  • The Vaporist. This is actually the same guy as Bargain E-Juice but he sells his premium lines here. You'll pay more but it's better quality: The Vaporist
  • Dash Vapes. These guys are the biggest vendors we have in Canada. If you look at overstock juices you can get PREMIUM US or Canadian made juices for 25-50% off. I sometimes go in and pick one of everything in my nicotine level. This plus bargain e-juice is how I get different juices to try out. ALWAYS look up these guys after a convention, they will have dozens and dozens of overstock juices: https://www.dashvapes.com/products/overstock/new
Here is my last order from dashvapes. Cost me like $60-80 I think?

7yH1EyO.jpg

And here I literally placed an order from bargain e-juice yesterday. I should get it Monday or Tuesday. This literally cost me $80 (shipping and tax included) for 360ml. In store juices ($30/60ml) it would have cost me $180:

Untitled.png

Coils (for RTAs/RDAs/RDTAs)
  • Cambell Coil Company. I buy all my coils here. I like buying a 25 foot length of fused claptons and winding them myself: campbellcoilcompany
Hardware
  • Fasttech. I buy almost all my mods/tanks from these guys. They're in China and carry authentics and clones. When you purchase make sure you pick e-packet shipping. China has an agreement with Canada Post. Picking E-Packet shipping will guarantee you have tracking on your orders within Canada. I just bought $90 worth of tanks and it cost me 78 cents in shipping. To give you an example, a Vaporesso Revenger X is like $40 I think -- buying one in store might $80 or more.
  • When I HAVE to buy something in Canada because Fasttech doesn't carry it, I buy it from a brick and mortar store. On rare occasions I have ordered from places like The Vapor Bar | Quality Vape Gear, E-Cigarettes & E-Liquid Welcome to The Village Vaporette https://www.dashvapes.com Evaperated Liquids
Special Deal

Something you should take advantage of is dash vapes. They have a program where if you spend $50 on E-Liquid they will give you a free starter kit and 30ml of in house juice. Here is that promo: https://www.dashvapes.com/start

Summary

In brief, I would buy juice from bargain eliquid and hardware from dashvapes. Dashvapes is the biggest and one of the most trusted brands in Canada.

Last edited:

Spawncx

May 4, 2015
Yeah, but just want to emphasize... it was 180 SMOKE not 180 VAPE.

The Canadian community is actually really tightly nit. There's a different website that is a lot more active. The vendors do a ton of giveaways (at least a couple a week) and they have deals/sales/promo codes they give out a couple times a month.

To give you an example: Yesterday someone posted about one of their juices tasting like vaseline. The owner of the company looked into it, the users looked at their bottles to check if they had the same batch, and in the end they just talked it out in a real conversation. No PR garbage of fake talk, they handled it like grown adults with no animosity or anything. Everyone calls the guy Phil by his first name, because him (along with other vendors) are always there and as active users as a regular Joe.

Here are some really good vendors:

Juice
  • Bargain E-Juice. This is the cheapest juice you will find and the quality is really good for what you pay. I buy 4 bottles of 120ml a month minimum from them: Bargain E-Juice
  • The Vaporist. This is actually the same guy as Bargain E-Juice but he sells his premium lines here. You'll pay more but it's better quality: The Vaporist
  • Dash Vapes. These guys are the biggest vendors we have in Canada. If you look at overstock juices you can get PREMIUM US or Canadian made juices for 25-50% off. I sometimes go in and pick one of everything in my nicotine level. This plus bargain e-juice is how I get different juices to try out. ALWAYS look up these guys after a convention, they will have dozens and dozens of overstock juices: https://www.dashvapes.com/products/overstock/new
Here is my last order from dashvapes. Cost me like $60-80 I think?

View attachment 710875

And here I literally placed an order from bargain e-juice yesterday. I should get it Monday or Tuesday. This literally cost me $80 (shipping and tax included) for 360ml. In store juices ($30/60ml) it would have cost me $180:

View attachment 710877

Coils (for RTAs/RDAs/RDTAs)
  • Cambell Coil Company. I buy all my coils here. I like buying a 25 foot length of fused claptons and winding them myself: campbellcoilcompany
Hardware
  • Fasttech. I buy almost all my mods/tanks from these guys. They're in China and carry authentics and clones. When you purchase make sure you pick e-packet shipping. China has an agreement with Canada Post. Picking E-Packet shipping will guarantee you have tracking on your orders within Canada. I just bought $90 worth of tanks and it cost me 78 cents in shipping. To give you an example, a Vaporesso Revenger X is like $40 I think -- buying one in store might $80 or more.
  • When I HAVE to buy something in Canada because Fasttech doesn't carry it, I buy it from a brick and mortar store. On rare occasions I have ordered from places like The Vapor Bar | Quality Vape Gear, E-Cigarettes & E-Liquid Welcome to The Village Vaporette https://www.dashvapes.com Evaperated Liquids
Special Deal

Something you should take advantage of is dash vapes. They have a program where if you spend $50 on E-Liquid they will give you a free starter kit and 30ml of in house juice. Here is that promo: https://www.dashvapes.com/start

Summary

In brief, I would buy juice from bargain eliquid and hardware from dashvapes. Dashvapes is the biggest and one of the most trusted brands in Canada.

Wow! This is a huge post with a lot of info, I greatly appreciate this. I will definitely be using these vendors from now on. After looking up some info, it doesn't look like these batteries are fake. Perhaps just.. defective or something. If these batteries are bad, I'll definitely get a refund and order from Dashvapes. It's funny - I was actually looking at their shop when I was buying everything. Unfortunately, it was 180 smoke that I bought from - will be sure to avoid them now, thanks again for all this info! Really appreciate it, glad to see the Canadian community is as nice and civilized as it should be ;)

• Agree
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread