The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Batteries just a little too big... Possible Hazzard

Discussion in 'The GG' started by MrKrinkle, Aug 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. MrKrinkle

MrKrinkle Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Feb 13, 2009
    San Diego, CA
    I happen to purchase and find the only batteries that don't really fit my ssGGts... I purchased 2 Ultrafire 18650 protected 3.7v 3000mah from COV and they are just a hair too big that the TS tube will actually peel off the plastic wrap that protects the battery... Im not worried about the battery whatever but I wanted to mention that when the plastic of the battery peels off it will fire the atomizer without pressing the button in fact the bottom cap doesn't even need to be on... So for safety reasons I would advise against using this battery...

2. RippleInStillWater

RippleInStillWater Supplier's Manufacturer - Offline ECF Veteran

Jun 18, 2010
    Land Of Corruption
    Hmmm, I have them an they fit -- I think I saw where Imeo said that some of the tubes mught need light sanding at the top and bottom........:confused:

3. imeothanasis

imeothanasis Unregistered Supplier ECF Veteran

Feb 13, 2009
    Athens, Hellas
    Batteries have not always the right dimentions. You never know what you buy guys

4. zell666hell

zell666hell Full Member Verified Member

Is anyone having problems with the COV IMR18650 High Drain Battery? I was thinking about getting me one.

5. ChaosAffect

ChaosAffect Moved On ECF Veteran

Dec 19, 2010
    Georgia
    Had a similiar issue with the Kallie's Kustoms Panasonic 18650s. Once I peeled the sticker off of them (Not the shrinkwrap!) they fit, but just barely.

6. MrKrinkle

Feb 13, 2009
    San Diego, CA
    the plastic shrink wrap on these tore and ripped rendering the battery dangerous for use I did some research and the dimensions of the Ultrafire protected 18650 3.7v 3000mAh is Diameter: 18.6+/-0.2 mm... I figured I'd go with something a lil closer to the CR123 size batteries and went with a Ultrafire 17670 3.7v 1800mAh granted its not as great of a mAh as the the others but the diameter is 17+/-0.5 mm which is the same diameter as the Ultrafire 16340 3.6v 880mAh batteries that I use for HV Vaping... I still get a nice snug fit wont rip or tear the plastic shrink tubing and wont rattle about in the GGts...

7. womblebat

womblebat Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Dec 22, 2008
    UK
    Ultafire, Trustfire?, probably the most inconsistant batteries going in terms of dimensions and build quality, oh and don't believe the mAh ratings on these things, they will put whatever figure they feel will sell on the side, they are cheap for a reason.

Battery life is like saying how long is a piece of string, lots of factors at play here, main two being how much do you vape and what ohm atty are you running, how much do you vape is self evident but the resistance of your atty is the big game changer.
    3 ohm atty at 3.7v (actually 4.2v fresh of the charger unloaded) will give you the best results, 1.5ohm (Low Resistance) with the same battery will cut your vaping time in half.

18650 batteries can handle any 1.5ohm atty with ease, due to their size the amperage draw isn't a problem, smaller than an 18650 and you can seriously reduce the lifespan of a lithium ion battery, be careful with your resistance/battery combo.

Ok back to my longwinded explanation and original point, i can't recommend AW (Panasonic) IMR (high drain) batteries highly enough, build quality and dimension consistency are spot on, they also give a truer mAh output claim, these batteries really come into their own when using rebuildable atty's , if you build a coil at 1.5ohm then any 18650 should be able to handle it, if you start going lower, let's say 1.1ohm's then a trustfire/ultrafire is going to really struggle with the amperage draw and reduce it's life considerably, IMR (or high drain) can handle the amperage draw as they have an excellent "C" rating.

The downside to IMR batteries? they have a shorter runtime or mAh, they are a high output battery, that being said they will give a more consistent power output than any lithium ion battery, great for vaping, they are also more expensive initially, but here's the thing, i have 2 AW IMR 18650's that are still chugging away after 14months use, i have killed ultrafire/trustfires in 4 months use, false economy anyone?

To conclude with one more point, why would you buy a GGTS or any high end mod and throw cheap batteries in there, it's a bit like using tractor diesel in a ferrari ;)

8. dspin

dspin Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 2, 2010
    USA
    I'll have to agree on batts w/Womblebat Only the best should be put in a GGTS = AW's

9. MrKrinkle

Feb 13, 2009
    San Diego, CA
    only one small problem... because at this time I am unable to purchase the upgraded fuse for my ssGGts I am stuck with using protected batteries which leaves me with limited options and a limited selection of vendors... at least thats the impression Ive been given anyway... In other words Im way to pretty to take chances with this beautiful face of mine...lol

EDIT: well ya see now I did not know the AW was a protected battery.... although the High Drain are not and until I am able to purchase a fuse upgrade will not take that chance... In regards to your final comment the batteries were not cheap and at the time I thought I was getting a safe quality battery...

10. womblebat

Dec 22, 2008
    UK
    Correct MrKrinkle, AW IMR batts aren't protected, it's because they are a safer chemistry than Lithium Ion, they will not vent with flame, i personally don't use a fuse or spring in my GGTS, that's a personal choice though.

The reason i posted that reply is because i have spent a fortune on just about every battery there is, including every chemistry that is available, the AW IMR came out tops in power delivery and consistency in fit and finish, recharge cycle lifetime is also top notch so they actually work out as cheap as the cheapo's in the long view, if this saves people a few pounds/dollars/euros in this financial climate then that was my only goal.

If you paid a lot of money for a 3000mah ultrafire/trustfire then unfortunately you have been ripped off, been there and it ain't fun

11. gratefulbuddy

gratefulbuddy Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jan 19, 2010
    KC MO USA
    AW IMR (LiMn) are regarded as a "safe-chemistry" battery and are considered to be at least as safe as a protected li-on batt.

Edit: Womblebat beat me to it. Ditto.

12. MrKrinkle

Feb 13, 2009
    San Diego, CA
    ok but I am still a bit confused as to the AW IC vs. IMR... I see the IC batts are protected and have a large mAh rating and are also the most expensive of the two.... but the IMR although you say doesnt need protection and has a lower mAh rating is less expensive but is a better safer battery??? Please explain if you dont mind...

Also does the charger matter or will any 3.6/3.7 volt charger work or do I need to buy a different charger specifically for AW batteries???

Thank you for helping always appreciated...

13. womblebat

Dec 22, 2008
    UK
    No problem :)

AW IC are protected lithium ion batteries, a plate divides the two chemicals if it thinks it's going to vent, safer than a simple pcb found on most batteries for protection.

AW IMR are lithium manganese, safer chemistry that doesn't require protection as it doesn't vent with flame, they are also called high drain as they output a lot more amps than lithium ion, the lower the resistance of your atty = the greater amp draw from the battery.

If you tinker with the iAtty and make up a 1.1ohm coil or lower then it will draw a lot of amps from the battery, some 18650's will handle this but it will decrease the life of the battery, puts a fair bit of strain on it, IMR high drains can handle the amp draw with ease as they are designed for such a purpose, less strain = longer life of your battery, i'm talking recharge cycle life here not vaping time.

So if you plan on vaping at 1.5 ohms or above then lithium ion will handle the job no problem, below 1.5ohms and i would highly recommend the AW IMR high drain.

Charger wise some people love the Pila charger, it's expensive but regarded the best around, i have used a cheap Trustfire TR-001 for 3 years now with no problems

Personally i use AW IMR high drain exclusively, be it stacked or single cell, build quality, safety and lifespan, ticks all the boxes for me

14. MrKrinkle

Feb 13, 2009
    San Diego, CA
    Great advice and much appreciated thank you... now all I need to do is figure out what ohms are best for 3.7v or 7.2 or 7.4v vaping and why....

15. womblebat

Dec 22, 2008
    UK
    very welcome, it's to the best of my knowledge anyway, if anybody can add or correct me please feel free

my personal favourite is 1.5ohms at 3.7 and a 3.0hm coil at 6v+ it's all personal taste of course and that's the beauty of the iAtty and other rebuildable atomisers, you set it as you like without spending a fortune finding out :)

16. MrKrinkle

Feb 13, 2009
    San Diego, CA
    ok then what would be the purpose of making a lower ohm coil below 1.5ohms??? Im still very new to the whole rebuildable atty world so much so my iAtty is still in transit and Im just trying to get all my ducks in a row for when it does arrive or at least as best as possible...

17. womblebat

Dec 22, 2008
    UK
    Lower the ohms = greater the heat generated by the coil, greater the heat = bigger throat hit

flavour can sometimes be sacrificed for throat hit, it's all personal preference, have fun finding your sweet spot ;)

18. MrKrinkle

Feb 13, 2009
    San Diego, CA
    thank you good sir Im starting to put all the pieces together a bit better now...

19. MrKrinkle

Feb 13, 2009
    San Diego, CA
    and last question which batteries would be best to be stacked the AW IC or the AW IMR for 7.2v-7.4v vaping???

20. silentt

silentt Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Feb 14, 2011
    Virginia
    Two of these:
    [​IMG]

or two AW IMR 18650:
    [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.