Status
Not open for further replies.

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
Cool. Kinda like a 'heat fuse'. I suppose this 'separator' would perform it's function due to any temperature rise, like for example a battery being stored and covered with a blanket or jacket while it's in a closed windowed car that's regularly in direct sunlight, or something like that?

That's pretty much the primary reason I love this forum and it's members. I have learned bunches just by reading thru other threads and particular posts, and the few times that I asked a question, I got educated. :thumbs:
You would certainly think it would be temp activated, but let's wait until @Mooch responds. He certainly knows more about batteries than I do. And yeah, me too :)

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    Cool. Kinda like a 'heat fuse'. I suppose this 'separator' would perform it's function due to any temperature rise, like for example a battery being stored and covered with a blanket or jacket while it's in a closed windowed car that's regularly in direct sunlight, or something like that?

That's pretty much the primary reason I love this forum and it's members. I have learned bunches just by reading thru other threads and particular posts, and the few times that I asked a question, I got educated. :thumbs:

Yup...anything that causes the temp to rise too far, from external or internal sources, will cause the separator to melt...in the batteries that use this technology.
    In fact, that's often how it's tested. They use a controlled external heat source to bring the battery temperature up. Measuring internal battery temperature (at the separator) is very difficult so doing this testing by discharging the battery wouldn't work well. By ramping up the external temp in very slow controlled steps they can easily test for the melting temp by monitoring the battery voltage.

somdcomputerguy

vaper dedicato
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
    You would certainly think it would be temp activated, but let's wait until @Mooch responds. He certainly knows more about batteries than I do. And yeah, me too :)
    You know, I don't think I would even think about trying to use a battery after it's been in a 250 F degree range environment, even it was less than a minute.
    Yup...anything that causes the temp to rise too far, from external or internal sources, will cause the separator to melt...in the batteries that use this technology.
    Way cool. Good to know. I'll sleep better tonight, knowing about this particular safety feature.

Thrasher

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 28, 2012
    Madeira beach, Fla
    I have had some samsung 20r in a Milwaukee power pack do this from beating them to death one day. High torque and constant overheating tripping the protection, then nothing. After realizing the pack cant be saved i took them all out and they all read zero, even left a few in the xtar all day, didnt do anything.

Reactions: Mooch

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    I have had some samsung 20r in a Milwaukee power pack do this from beating them to death one day. High torque and constant overheating tripping the protection, then nothing. After realizing the pack cant be saved i took them all out and they all read zero, even left a few in the xtar all day, didnt do anything.

Interesting! I might have to get a couple of 20R's and severely abuse them.

Reactions: Woofer
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread