mudmanc4

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 22, 2009
In The Plex
kb.lime-it.us
18650-lineup.jpg

Everyone has their own 'I won't use/buy from anywhere other than {place personal preference here}'

#1: What are you using in your 100W + box mod (18650) single or double
#2: What are you using in your mechanical mod (18650)

The fact remains we take our chances each time we buy a battery. They are all 'real' if you can touch them. Safe? Never said anything about it, nor should anyone be claiming one is more safe than the next.

That 40Amp claim stamped on a few known wraps as far as I am educated, is a pure falsehood, and utterly impossible due to battery technology as of this date.

The trick seems to be, finding the 'best' battery for your style. Then repeating that process when ordering a second time. Oh yes, and not getting a hole gouged through the base of your account, by the supplier claiming they have 'real', real good, 'original', 'here look, see this tiny divot, edge, crease or slight graphical shape difference, that proves it's real kind of malarky, or 'I have a direct line from/to the manufacturer'.

Geezus people as soon as we choose to stop dicking one another around over a few credits in the account, we might make headway.

If your using anything with the word 'fire' in it, Stoppit, immediately. Yes, we all used them. The keyword here, is 'used'. As in past tense, yesteryear, a long time ago, not anymore because we are a tad bit more educated via experience, so no thanks. So please stoppit.

dcfluegel

Shenaniganator
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2015
Cleveland TN
4's have been rated for higher cdr, according to @Mooch 's bench test - lower mah, but higher amp output... the 5's are very good - better mah, but slightly lower continuous amp rating... i have some 5's also - actually have a set of married 5's in the rotation for the x cube (have 3 sets I rotate, to make sure they get their 'rest' lol) along with two sets of married 4's...

Hans Wermhat

Vaping Master
Jun 9, 2015
Texas
CDR determines how much power you can safely draw out of the battery. A .5 ohm coil at 4.2V draws 8.4 amps. Safe with most batteries. A .2 ohm coil draws 21 amps. You need a 30A battery to be safe with a build that low. The higher the CDR, the more amps you can draw without the battery going supernova in your hand.

bwh79

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
Oregon
Can someone explain to me why CDR is a factor please?
Because mech mods. If you accidentally set it on a table, or in your pocket, without locking the mod it will (may) end up firing continuously. You want to make sure that, should that happen, the battery will be able to handle the load safely.

Night_mirror

ECF Veteran
Aug 21, 2015
Richmond, VA
Because mech mods. If you accidentally set it on a table, or in your pocket, without locking the mod it will (may) end up firing continuously. You want to make sure that, should that happen, the battery will be able to handle the load safely.
I'm not messing with those hand missiles! I'm just trying to quit smoking!

IMFire3605

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 3, 2013
Blue Rapids, KS, US
Sig150w and IPV3:
100+ Watts - 3 Paired Sets of LG HB6 (1 Pair) and 2 Pair of Sony VTC4's
Below 100watts - 2 Pairs of Samsung 25R's, 2 Pairs of LG HE4's

IPV2 and VaporShark - 2 Sony VTC5's and 4 LG HE4's

SigMini30w and SVD's - 2 Imren Purples and 2 Samsung 25R's

Mechs I have about 4 LG HB6's and 4 Sony VTC4's

I basically look at the application I need a battery to operate at, then choose accordingly. Yes I have a lot of batteries and cases to store them in, but I am of the mindset of reducing the number of charge/discharge cycles I need to put a battery into as well as not stress a battery to far near its max limits. I was fully on the mech bandwagon for over a year, always a disappointment to need to swap a battery out only to find your batteries were all on the charger or waiting to be charged leaving you no vape other than your backup Ego's until your batteries were charged so got into the habit of having many spares.

mudmanc4

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 22, 2009
In The Plex
kb.lime-it.us
Sig150w and IPV3:
100+ Watts - 3 Paired Sets of LG HB6 (1 Pair) and 2 Pair of Sony VTC4's
Below 100watts - 2 Pairs of Samsung 25R's, 2 Pairs of LG HE4's

IPV2 and VaporShark - 2 Sony VTC5's and 4 LG HE4's

SigMini30w and SVD's - 2 Imren Purples and 2 Samsung 25R's

Mechs I have about 4 LG HB6's and 4 Sony VTC4's

I basically look at the application I need a battery to operate at, then choose accordingly. Yes I have a lot of batteries and cases to store them in, but I am of the mindset of reducing the number of charge/discharge cycles I need to put a battery into as well as not stress a battery to far near its max limits. I was fully on the mech bandwagon for over a year, always a disappointment to need to swap a battery out only to find your batteries were all on the charger or waiting to be charged leaving you no vape other than your backup Ego's until your batteries were charged so got into the habit of having many spares.
This!

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
If your using anything with the word 'fire' in it, Stoppit, immediately. Yes, we all used them. The keyword here, is 'used'. As in past tense, yesteryear, a long time ago, not anymore because we are a tad bit more educated via experience, so no thanks. So please stoppit.

Even in my flashlights? ;)

As for the rest of it, I trust in the Battery industry suppliers I choose to use. Though I admit that is My Choice and I also have a few decades with battery experience behind me.(Most don't)

Never Assume anything when it comes to safety.:mad:

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    View attachment 488560

Everyone has their own 'I won't use/buy from anywhere other than {place personal preference here}'

#1: What are you using in your 100W + box mod (18650) single or double
    #2: What are you using in your mechanical mod (18650)

The fact remains we take our chances each time we buy a battery. They are all 'real' if you can touch them. Safe? Never said anything about it, nor should anyone be claiming one is more safe than the next.

That 40Amp claim stamped on a few known wraps as far as I am educated, is a pure falsehood, and utterly impossible due to battery technology as of this date.

The trick seems to be, finding the 'best' battery for your style. Then repeating that process when ordering a second time. Oh yes, and not getting a hole gouged through the base of your account, by the supplier claiming they have 'real', real good, 'original', 'here look, see this tiny divot, edge, crease or slight graphical shape difference, that proves it's real kind of malarky, or 'I have a direct line from/to the manufacturer'.

Geezus people as soon as we choose to stop dicking one another around over a few credits in the account, we might make headway.

Some great points there!
    But I think that there are circumstances where one can say that one battery is safer than another. Not safe, just safer.

In my opinion. IMR and INR batteries are safer than ICR/LiPo. The temperature threshold where IMR/INR goes into thermal runaway is higher than ICR/LiPo. And the temperature of the reaction, if IMR/INR does go into runaway, is a lot lower. This means a very low chance of igniting stuff in the battery and reduces the violence of the runaway. ICR batteries in runaway often ignite the solvent in the electrolyte and the higher reaction temperature raises the internal pressure faster. This can result in a more powerful bursting of the battery, flames, and greater chance of other things being ignited or damaged, including a nearby battery.

I would also argue that a battery that runs at a lower temperature than others is safer. If vaping at 100W, single battery, the temperature of an HB6 can go as high as about 75°C externally. But a VTC4 can rise to as high as about 100°C externally at this power level. This is significantly closer to the temperature where the battery can vent as certain additional exothermic reactions start revving up at about 80°C. Things start melting internally at about 120°C-130°C and the internal temperature is higher than the external temperature. This can lead to internal short circuiting and thermal runaway.

Is an HB6 inherently safer than a VTC4? No.
    But it can be safer in an application where its lower operating temperature reduces the risk of something bad happening.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread