batteries that discharge at different rates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2012
Texas
You don't give enough info to provide much of an answer.

Which 18650 batteries are you using?
Are they authentic cells? Bought from a known reputable vendor/dealer.
Are the cells identical? ~ same brand, mah, cdr, age, cycles...
What are you using to gauge the different discharge rate? ~ display screen on power device, external/stand alone battery charger, multimeter.

It isn't uncommon for multi cell power devices to charge or discharge cells unevenly noted by battery level indicator on display. Charge cells using a quality external charger and rotate battery positions in the power device / mod battery sled/slots.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
theunforgiven1, cell age and differences in internal resistance ( a product of cell age) can cause unequal discharge. Buy your cells in pairs of identical brand and type and keep them married as pairs (and sets of 3 for triple cell mods). They will discharge similarly if kept together and used in married sets. Once you separate them for use as singles in other mods they will begin to develop different discharge characteristics and are no longer matched.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Is it a large difference or a relatively small one? I bought a bunch of LGs and one just didn't want to charge up all the way. After a while it did but I wound up discarding it, It was making me feel... Ickky somehow. However I do believe batteries don't discharge at identical rates, but if it is enough for you to notice, perhaps it is not so good, IDK.

Anna

theunforgiven1, cell age and differences in internal resistance ( a product of cell age) can cause unequal discharge. Buy your cells in pairs of identical brand and type and keep them married as pairs (and sets of 3 for triple cell mods). They will discharge similarly if kept together and used in married sets. Once you separate them for use as singles in other mods they will begin to develop different discharge characteristics and are no longer matched.
thats exactly what i have done. these 2 batteries are "married". the visual difference is when i use the mod which i believe shows 1/8 increments and there is 1/8 of a visual difference. the other two paired batts discharge at the same rate. another confusing thing i see is using the nitecore ums4 batt charger they charge identically.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread