Battery changing frequency

Status
Not open for further replies.

maybeshewill

ECF Veteran
Jan 5, 2014
Tatooine
How often do you think you should change an entire battery? I don't mean recharging batteries on a mod, I'm talking about vape pens like the eGo, cigalikes like the 510, and so on, where the e-cig IS the battery.
I read somewhere a good new battery every 6 months for eGo's is advisable.
Then someone told me he's been using the same battery for 2 years without complains, and then.. well, you get the idea : I recieved a very mixed response to this question.
So, I thought I'd ask for your opinions on this too.

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA
Hi

It's usually more a matter of two things that cause someone to change out an eGo or cigalike battery: They kill it somehow and the protection circuit has tripped, rendering it non functional. Or it's aged out and it's just time to go. That would be longer and longer charge times with correspondingly less run time between charges.

Yeah, I'm one of those people who have 2 year old eGo's that still work - but have only seen occasional use in the last year or so. There's no point in tossing them out because when I do want to use them they still hold a decent run time.

Another part of the "when" factor is what resistance devices you use on them. Using LR devices on cigalikes will kill them in maybe a month - those tiny batteries aren't meant to be used with low resistance devices - anything below 2.0 ohms. eGo? You can get away with 1.8 ohm on eGo and some people even use 1.5 ohm devices on them (NOT recommended IMO) but LR devices on eGo class batteries will significantly reduce their overall life span. You won't see a 1,000 mAh eGo battery lasting two years if you use 1.8 ohm devices on it. More like less than 6 months.

Last edited:

rurwin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 6, 2014
Leicester, UK
Lithium batteries do not have a limited number of charge cycles like some other technologies, nor do they require full charge-discharge cycles to remain in good condition.

They do have a reduced capacity as they age and in extreme cases that can mean halving their capacity after a year. That would indicate a useful life of over eighteen months depending on how they were treated and how important their capacity was.

SirSteve

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 10, 2012
Northern Indiana
Rickajho has some good points about not using low resistance toppers on these type of batteries, companies like Joyetech used to advise against doing this, not sure if they still do.

r77r7r makes a good point about the quality of the device to start with, the knock offs vary in quality. Some can be very good,others might not last more than a few days or weeks.

Most of the Ego's are rated in the 300 cycle range, so if you charge them once a day, 10 months would be about 300 cycles. Like a lot stuff made in China though that can vary. Best advice, backups, backups, backups, you never know when a device will fail.

Vapoor eyes er

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 13, 2011
Toronto, Ont.
I own Kgo's and Spinners that are almost 2 yrs old and still hold a full charge. These batteries are "generally" good for about 250- 300 recharges/ cycles. In regards to charge cycles realize if the batt is recharged in the charger while having a charge of 50% it only represents 1/2 charge cycle. I've found not fully draining the batts leads to a longer life.

Last edited:

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Lithium batteries do not have a limited number of charge cycles like some other technologies, nor do they require full charge-discharge cycles to remain in good condition.

They do have a reduced capacity as they age and in extreme cases that can mean halving their capacity after a year. That would indicate a useful life of over eighteen months depending on how they were treated and how important their capacity was.

Charge cycles is IMO the most important factor in battery life for us. Check out this data at Battery University. Basically they are saying there will be about a 10 - 15% loss in mAh after 250 full charge cycles. I think there is also an increase of internal resistance and a reduction of safe current draw associated with this process. There is also other good data that will help you make your batteries last longer.

See this page for battery storage information. Charge level and temperature are the biggest factors here.

This is in reply to your eVic thread, I can't message you or reply in that thread since its in the veterans area -.-

Anyways, I had a normal ego for about 1 week before I upgraded to the eVic. The eVic is a beautiful machine in itself and I don't regret the upgrade. Lots of fancy bells and whistles and honestly most of them were never used but the Voltage control is very nice, also a digital display for it all was amazing.

For the money, I honestly recommend a full mech mod so you can really get your moneys worth. I recently made this change and never want to go back. I gave the eVic to my wife and she loves it, and doesn't wanna go to a full mech mod.

Either way, it is all personally preference but you can get a nice eVic with a BCC Mega tank and not ever need anything else. Battery life on it is very nice with the samsung/sony 18650 batteries. Being able to charge it through a usb port is nice as well, but we just through the batteries on a charger.

I hope this helps, you can message me or something if you have more questions about any of this!

in regards to this post:

Batteries are batteries are batteries, it is best to let them run to about 5% life and then recharge them.
Anything else will just shorten the life of a battery. Also, you have to keep in mind that these batteries are cheap and aren't like your ni-mh batteries and all that, so yeah, every couple of months (or when your battery life is drastically shortened and you're recharging it like every 30 hits) just replace it.

Yet another reason I want full mech/eVic route.
its like 12 bucks for a sony battery and they will keep constant charges for around a year or so!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread