The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Battery charger review

Discussion in 'Battery Mods' started by crazyhorse, May 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. crazyhorse

crazyhorse Super Member ECF Veteran

Apr 17, 2009
    Baja Alabama
    Not sure this belongs in this section but I don't see a more appropriate place for it and may be helpful to those looking into battery mods. You do need a charger.

This is a report on the UltraFire WF-139 battery charger. It's a 3.7v charger for 14500, 17500, 18500, 17670 and 18650 3.7v lithium batteries. It came from DealExtreme and cost $13.90 with free shipping. Time from order to delivery was 14 days.

It utilizes 100-240 VAC or 12 VDC power source. The unit ships with a 12 VDC power cord but it does not come with an AC supply cord. It uses a common figure-8 style connector that you may have for other chargers or radios. If you don't have a cord you can make one up yourself or try to order it separately from DX. Just don't go to ratshack and try to buy one because it will cost you half again the price of the charger.

This charger gets some bad reviews for overcharging with many people warning about standing guard over your charging process, charging in a fire-proof box, etc. Maybe I got lucky but the one I have cuts off at 4.12 to 4.16v depending upon the battery. It will send up to 5.38v to an empty battery bay and a higher initial rate to a battery drained to 3.6v. The spec sheet says it is a 450mAh charger. The two charging bays are independent.

Charge time to a green light is very quick and leaving it on longer doesn't seem to charge any further. Additionally, leaving a battery in the unit for many hours after a green light also does not seem to add any additional charge to a battery. In all cases to date, the highest voltage I've read on a battery fresh off the charger has been 4.16v, no matter how long it was charging.

I imagine there are many higher quality chargers available but the flexibility of this one (being able to charge batteries in the car on a road trip) makes it an okay unit for me.

2. MoonMan

MoonMan Senior Member ECF Veteran

Jan 12, 2009
    I have the same charger from the same place and it does work great, but mine came with a mains power cord, not a car cord.

I use protected batteries in it so there's little chance of any accidents.

3. crazyhorse

crazyhorse Super Member ECF Veteran

Apr 17, 2009
    Baja Alabama
    Order sku.1251 for $12.46 if you want the mains cord.

Order sku.21972 for $13.90 if you want the car cord.

Seems like they'd have a third choice that includes both cords but their customer (dis)service department wouldn't even provide me with an option for ordering the un-included cord as an extra item.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.