Status
Not open for further replies.

Maurice Pudlo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 27, 2013
United States
I'm looking for a very nice charger, it must be capable of properly charging mod batteries and not be a flimsy plastic item I'll regret spending money on later.

I'm not even sure if such a thing exists so let's see some high quality charger options.

Post up those dream chargers, and your opinions on them.

If this belongs elsewhere please move it where it belongs.

Maurice Pudlo

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
The Pila has been considered the top mod battery charger for a few years now. It hasn't had any recent upgrades so it doesn't have some of the fancier features such as an LCD display - just a solidly built charger.

The XTar VP-1 has been making a run as the current "top dog" in the charger race. It seems to be as solidly built as the Pila, but with a nice LCD which reveals real-time battery charging status instead of a colored LED.

In reality, any charger made by Xtar or Nitecore Intellicharge are a very good middle-of-the-road charger. I own both the i2 and i4 Nitecores and have been impressed. I've also owned a Pila which was a real workhorse of a charger for about 14 months when one of the charging bays stopped working, which is the reason I got the Nitecores.

Maurice Pudlo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 27, 2013
United States
I'm most certainly looking for a CC/CV charger, the details link at MadVapes seems broken (at least on my phone).

That NiteCore i4 looks to be a quality bit, I'm not so sure about those A to D adapters though LOL. The only D series thing I own is a 6 cell MagLight. That's more for beating than lighting anyhow.

Tell me about that Xtar charger battery size adjustment system.

Do we have any charger nerds floating around that test these things in depth.

As far as aesthetics I like the NC i4 the most. Yet I was maybe hoping for something a bit ... maybe less plastic.

Thanks guys, let's keep the options rolling.

Maurice

I have had nothing but good luck with the Efest LUc I picked up when I first had to buy batteries for this whole vaping thing.

Efest LUC Multi-function Smart charger with EU / US / UK plug-Efest battery for E-cigs

Sure its simple and only holds two batteries (They make one with four slots), but it does what its supposed to and has a good bunch of safety features. I do dislike how the USB thing works. It isnt a passthrough, you have to disconnect the AC power to use it, but it does I suppose let you use the batteries in the unit for more things? That so far is my only complaint.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
how is the tenergy charger sold on the provape site? are you supposed to charge two batteries at a time?

Pretty sure it's a Tenergy TN270. Here's the product page at Tenergy. I don't have one. Looks like an average, inexpensive charger. I could not find any reviews on it but I just did a quick search on Google. You can charge 1 or 2 cells at a time. The bays are independent which is good. Charge current is 0.5A each bay, so if you have high mAh batteries it will take longer to charge them, but it will be safe. Pretty sure it will do the job, or Provape wouldn't sell it.

I spent a few bucks more when I bought a charger and got a $20 Xtar WP2. I know it will handle batteries I discharge too low by mistake and I know it turns off when the charge is done. But that's my comfort zone, YMMV as always :)

Last edited:

DoogieTony

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
Indianapolis, IN
I'm most certainly looking for a CC/CV charger, the details link at MadVapes seems broken (at least on my phone).

That NiteCore i4 looks to be a quality bit, I'm not so sure about those A to D adapters though LOL. The only D series thing I own is a 6 cell MagLight. That's more for beating than lighting anyhow.

Tell me about that Xtar charger battery size adjustment system.

Do we have any charger nerds floating around that test these things in depth.

As far as aesthetics I like the NC i4 the most. Yet I was maybe hoping for something a bit ... maybe less plastic.

Thanks guys, let's keep the options rolling.

Maurice

I'd go with either the Pila or the Xtar Vp-1. I opted for the Xtar VP-1 about 8 months ago and it has preformed flawlessly since purchase. I would definitely rate it as a quality piece of kit.
Besides the LCD screen with voltage read out it also has three charging rates (0.25, 0.50, and 1.0 Amp) which is nice if you're in a hurry.

The VP-1 ports have spring loaded posts. To install your batteries you simply slide the post down and drop in the battery. I believe the Pila requires spacers to be inserted to accommodate batteries smaller than 18650.

DoogieTony

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
Indianapolis, IN
how is the tenergy charger sold on the provape site? are you supposed to charge two batteries at a time?

It works. I wouldn't say its a "nice charger" but it gets the job done. I keep one around for a back-up.

You can charge either one or two batteries, I only ever charged one at a time with it so I'm not sure how it handles splitting power to both ports.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread