Battery Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rambosmurf

ECF Veteran
Feb 6, 2010
Hudson Valley, NY
Hi all
Excuse me for some stupid questions but I figure I better ask before I go and hurt myself (been known to do that..alot).
Can you use a 3.0 V cr123 Battery for mods or is voltage to low?
Can you use 3.7V Cell Phone batterys?
What about 3.7V R/C Li-po's. I have them from planes and heli's I have. The major danger from them is overcharging them or overheating them during use, but there are voltage cut-offs to prevent it.
What would be the recommended amps for mod if they could be, i.e. 3A continuous, or 5A, etc.
To play is safe I will be building a Nico-Stick for my first build, but just bouncing Ideas around in my head.
Thanks
RS

Dave Rickey

ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2009
Austin TX
3.0V is too low for eCigs, there are mods that use 3.0V CR123's in series to provide 6V (and then generally a regulator to pull it back down to 5V). Flat packs of various kinds are rising in popularity recently, the DigiPower and Lenmar PPUMINI "USB Backup Power" units have been used a lot because they have all the electronics for charging integrated into them at a price no higher than buying the components separately. RC flatpacks would work just as well, you'd just have to supply the charging circuitry (for example, the circuit board from a DigiPower).

I know Bad Things have been known to happen when badly over-discharging a RC flatpack, but that may only be an issue when pushing a 10+ C discharge rate (not an issue for eCigs with a flatpack bigger than that the DigiPower starts with). I'm currently working on a mod that will put 4-5 of the PPUMINI flatpacks in parallel, to get the best of all worlds: flatpack compactness and reliable current, regulated voltage output, and full-day operation from a single charge. For practical purposes, the only difference between that and RC packs is more variety in dimensions.

--Dave

Rambosmurf

ECF Veteran
Feb 6, 2010
Hudson Valley, NY
Thanks Dave
That's what I was thinking. The R/C 3.7v's are small and can be paralleled together to keep it the voltage, but last all day. I didn't figure there was much amp draw seeing as they can run motors and servo's. I have also found that most of the li-po's will give a warning (i.e. cut motor,servo,etc) before they fry. When flying you can't feel the heat (the big enemy), but I figure the battery in a pack in my hand, I will know. Hey, this might work or toast a atty or a battery. (been there, done that already).
Again, Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread