Battery safety and high temperatures.

Status
Not open for further replies.

H4X0R

ECF Veteran
Jul 4, 2014
NM
Hey guys, so we've all heard those horror stories about people's batteries exploding in their pockets and what not. So my question to you guys, is how hot does a battery need to get to be a safety hazard? Say you went out jogging on a 90 degree days (Fahrenheit in this case) and you had a battery in your pocket, is that a hazard? Does it need to be in direct sunlight light on a 100 degree day? Just worst case scenarios here and what's the threshold for it to be a hazard waiting to happen? Thanks guys! This should be a rather interesting discussion.

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2015
1187 Hundertwasser
Mooch sets his safe cutoff limit at 100°C for 18650s during his continuous discharge testing. I'm pretty sure you would not be able to get close to this short of boiling while sitting in the the direct mid-day sun. The ambient temperature is of course going to affect the overall temperature of the battery under load, but but by how much is hard to say short of mounting a thermal sensor inside the cell.

beckdg

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 1, 2013
TN
If the battery heats itself up.

That's what you have to worry about.

Don't put one in the oven or apply a black wrapper and heat it under a magnifying glass on a sunny day. Or make a habit of leaving one in a hot car.

But for the most part, environmental temperatures aren't an issue.

Tapatyped

K_Tech

Slightly mad but harmless
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Eastern Ohio, USA
Mooch sets his safe cutoff limit at 100°C for 18650s during his continuous discharge testing. I'm pretty sure you would not be able to get close to this short of boiling while sitting in the the direct mid-day sun. The ambient temperature is of course going to affect the overall temperature of the battery under load, but but by how much is hard to say short of mounting a thermal sensor inside the cell.
What Sonicbomb said. 100C is a generally safe limit, and I've seen some testing on Lion batteries using an external heat source and the batteries (generally) went into thermal runaway above 220C (428F).
Just think about the conditions that these batteries go through on their journey to your mailbox. Shipping containers, trucks, vans, all around the world, being exposed to Siberian cold and desert heat. Although battery safety should never be taken lightly, they're reasonably safe under any environmental conditions we can expose them to.

That being said, I still wouldn't leave a battery in a hot car, just to be on the safe side.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Also take care if you are carrying your mod in a pocket or purse, especially if its a mech. If the fire button gets compressed for too long, you'll overdischarge the battery and it will go into thermal runaway. <--- personal experience.

I don't think keeping your setup in an unventilated car during hot summer heat is a good idea either. If it's too hot for a baby or a dog, its too hot for the batteries. Doesn't matter if its in the trunk or glove compartment, its still too hot.

Last edited:

Hitmetwice

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 18, 2012
Ontario
Agree^^^^^ too many issues seem to happen in pockets. Carry a vape bag, manpurse, strapon haha. with the batts in a seperate case from everything else insuring they'll never contact metal and short.
That way if .hit hits the fan it can be pitched, plus it won't get crushed or fall to the ground as easily as if it were in a pocket. ymmv.:2c:

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
Awesome! So the chances of it getting too hot in your pocket and venting or exploding is extremely minimal? And for that matter, lets say you sweat a bit, and the battery gets slightly wet? Only slightly. Is that an issue? I'm just giving worst case scenarios here, but thanks all for your responses!
I follow ecig news and pay attention to the accidents in use (not including charging). Two risk factors seem to account for nearly all the accidents so far, mechanical mods and lose batteries with unprotected terminals. I believe vapers should stick with built in battery mods until they can do a watts law calculation from memory to determine if the batter they are considering is safe for the mod they want to use. It's not commplicated but might seem that way when you are feeling the stress and distraction of stopping smoking. Be a tootle puffer for a while and start learning the more complicated stuff. Don't get on the 6 oclock news.

Reactions: H4X0R

H4X0R

ECF Veteran
Jul 4, 2014
NM
Don't carry loose batteries in your pocket without a case or silicone sleeve.

Does a silicone sleeve really make a difference? I didn't even know those were a thing! Lol What would be the most pocket friendly way to carry a mod around with you? The Tesla Two I use is pretty pocket sized for a sub ohm device, but I'm always iffy about it, I live in New Mexico and it's hotter than you know what here haha

sparkky1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2014
Nashville
Does a silicone sleeve really make a difference? I didn't even know those were a thing! Lol What would be the most pocket friendly way to carry a mod around with you? The Tesla Two I use is pretty pocket sized for a sub ohm device, but I'm always iffy about it, I live in New Mexico and it's hotter than you know what here haha

This is pocket friendly Eleaf iStick Pico 75W TC Starter Kit by Jay Bo Designs

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
My Li batters are either in a device, a charger, or a silicone sleeve like this. https://www.fasttech.com/search?18650 silicone You should have protected storage for every loose battery. The negative terminal of a battery is the entire case, which wraps around and stops very close to the positive terminal on the top. If the wrapper is damaged next to the positive terminal a single metal object could cause a short.

Reactions: H4X0R

HauntedMyst

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 18, 2013
Chicago
Awesome! So the chances of it getting too hot in your pocket and venting or exploding is extremely minimal? And for that matter, lets say you sweat a bit, and the battery gets slightly wet? Only slightly. Is that an issue? I'm just giving worst case scenarios here, but thanks all for your responses!

Why are you doing jogging with a mod in your pocket? That seems an odd combination. They may be out of fashion but take a fanny pack or leave the mod until you've cooled down. I go out in the summer all the time with a mod in my pocket, along with a spare battery, loose change and my car keys but I have a confused relationship with my genitals ever since this whole transgender issue erupted (Its so confusing. I mean, I am a man trapped in a man's body but ever since I was 12 or 13, I want to use the womens showers at the gym because the thought of it gives me special tingly feelings. I mean when attractive women are in there, not after the weight watchers workout. I'm not some sort of weirdo. So what should I do? It's all very confusing). That and I secretly hope to become the next youtube sensation. But I don't recommend it for everyone for a few reasons:

1. You may blow up and steal my spotlight.
2. You may carry the genes that take the human species to the next level (though probably not if you are carrying batteries around in your pocket with loose change or if you are a recently fired professor from Mizzou)

Last edited:

H4X0R

ECF Veteran
Jul 4, 2014
NM
Why are you doing jogging with a mod in your pocket? That seems an odd combination. They may be out of fashion but take a fanny pack or leave the mod until you've cooled down. I go out in the summer all the time with a mod in my pocket, along with a spare battery, loose change and my car keys but I have a confused relationship with my genitals ever since this whole transgender issue erupted (Its so confusing. I mean, I am a man trapped in a man's body but ever since I was 12 or 13, I want to use the womens showers at the gym because the thought of it gives me special tingly feelings. I mean when attractive women are in there, not after the weight watchers workout. I'm not some sort of weirdo. So what should I do? It's all very confusing). That and I secretly hope to become the next youtube sensation. But I don't recommend it for everyone for a few reasons:

1. You may blow up and steal my spotlight.
2. You may carry the genes that take the human species to the next level (though probably not if you are carrying batteries around in your pocket with loose change or if you are a recently fired professor from Mizzou)

This comment was just absolutely entertaining. LOLOLOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread