Battery safety question re: 18650's and Kanger Subox

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrazyNight

Verified Member
Sep 10, 2014
NY USA
Hi all,

In one of my first few posts on this forum when I first joined I was looking for battery advice, and although I received a lot of good advice and have searched through other threads such as I need help choosing the best battery for my new Kanger Subox Mini. to gain better insight, I still have another question.

It's time for me to buy some new batteries for my Kanger Subox Mini and would love to get everyone's opinion on this:

Would an LG HG2 INR18650 LiMn 3000mah 30A battery be a good choice for my Kanger Subox Mini AND safe to use with my NITECORE i2 (2014 version) charger?

I'm also considering getting a Vaporesso Target 75W mod (I know... they probably look "gimmicky" to most people but I really like the look and I'm interested to find out what vaping with their cCELL coils is like) so I need to take into consideration that I'll be using the same 18650 batteries in both the Subox and the Target.

I would grateful for any feedback and opinions on this, especially the LG HG2 INR18650 LiMn 3000mah 30A battery along with my 2 year old Nitecore i2 charger.

My goal is the highest mAh and highest amps that would be considered safe at max wattage of 50w to 75w of these two mods.

I want to make smart SAFE choices and I know that some of you here are experts on this topic.

Thanks very much for any feedback!

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2015
1187 Hundertwasser
The LG HG2 has a 20 amp CDR. and would be an excellent choice for the Subox, and yes safe for that charger.
Assuming you use the 0.5 ohm coil and the full 50W then you will be drawing around 14 amps from a cell with a 20 amp CDR.

For the Vaporesso Target, with the 0.9 ohm kanthal coil I wouldn't use above 70W (18.5amps). You would probably be better off with a Sony VTC4 if you want to use the full 75W or the Nickel coils as it has a usable 30 amp CDR.

I used www.steam-engine.org/ to do these calculations.

daveid777

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2014
Baltimore, MD
The LG HG2 has a 20 amp CDR. and would be an excellent choice for the Subox, and yes safe for that charger.
Assuming you use the 0.5 ohm coil and the full 50W then you will be drawing around 14 amps from a cell with a 20 amp CDR.

For the Vaporesso Target, with the 0.9 ohm kanthal coil I wouldn't use above 70W (18.5amps). You would probably be better off with a Sony VTC4 if you want to use the full 75W or the Nickel coils as it has a usable 30 amp CDR.

I used www.steam-engine.org/ to do these calculations.
Your math is wrong for a regulated device. Resistance doesn't factor, only wattage/battery voltage. Using 3.2 as a cutoff, 50watts is 15.6Amps, and 75watts is 23.5Amps. If you want to stay below the CDR of your cells, 60 watts is about the limit for a 20Amp cell.

CrazyNight

Verified Member
Sep 10, 2014
NY USA
Big sincere thank you's for the replies!

Sounds like I'm barking up the right tree because on the Kanger Subox Mini I'm only vaping around 20 watts with the 0.5ohm vOCC's. Not sure why but it seems when I try to go over 22 watts I get a hint of something that just doesn't taste good.

And as luck would have it I ended up with a Wismec Reulaeux AX200W from an awesome friend, and I'm only pushing 38 - 40 watts with an Aspire Triton 2 with Aspire Clapton coil. (I have no idea what I would ever do with 200 watts LOL! Thing takes 3x 18650 bats! But it was a late Christmas gift and I'm not complaining!).

Damn... no justification now to buy the Vaporesso Target since I've been given the Reuleaux AX200.

If I'm reading you all correctly, I'm definitely good with the LG HG2 3000mAh 20A in my Subox with Subtank Mini, and sounds like the Reuleaux with the Triton 2 / Claptons will do just fine with 3 of the LG HG2's in it since I'm only hitting that at 40w.

Thanks again very much for taking the time to respond, I appreciate it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread