Battery shelf life when not used?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShimmyPrincess

ECF Veteran
Feb 27, 2009
The Windy City
I did a search and couldn't find anything, so here goes...I have 6 - 801 batteries, all black. I have them all charged and ready to go. I keep them in a cup for easy grab and go. Not sure which ones are getting used, but have notcied a few die off after about 45 mintues. So I purposely left one in a drawer for several days fully charged and it happened again.

so the question is, after a full charge, how long should it hold that charge? :confused:

Safira

ECF Veteran
Apr 14, 2009
Plainfield,IL
My father told me batteries not on a charger will drain themselves anyway. I thought this is why they are shipped dry, and you need to do a full charge when you get them. They will slowly drain themselves, just not as fast as if you are using them. I rotate mine through the day so they all get a chance at the charger. Probably after a good charge that battery will be fine. It should hold that charge for a day or 2 but if it sits for a long period of time it would be normal to not be fully charged. Do you think it has been sitting for a couple of days and you haven't grabbed it? If not it may be on the way out.

CssReb

ECF Veteran
Jan 7, 2009
USA, NYC
After reading this post I was curious how my great white batteries were fairing after sitting in a plastic case for about 2 months now.( i put them away fully charge)

They're working like brand new. By far they're the best battery I've come across but I hate the carts for the great white.
The battery length is the same as a penstyle but the threads are female.

bizzyb0t

ECF Veteran
Mar 13, 2009
Denver CO, USA
twitter.com
There's really a simple answer to this :D

There are two types of automatic batteries.

One type uses a mechanical switch to activate the circuit, those batteries won't drain except for the self-discharge. These batteries will hold their charge the longest when not used. (Same for the manual switch batteries.)

The other type of automatic battery uses a microphone to activate the circuit, these use a tiny charge to keep the battery active or "listening" which drains the battery. The charge that runs is tiny but still drains the battery when it's in standby. These will not last nearly as long as a "mechanical" automatic batteries.

As for how long overall? Well, it also depends on the condition and age (and total amount of charges) of the battery, the amount of charge when stored and the capacity.

Generally, it's a good idea to store Li-ion batteries for extended periods at about 40%.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread