Battery venting Aegis is it safe

Status
Not open for further replies.

mortenhy

ECF Veteran
Apr 29, 2017
I am danish so sorry for the English spelling.
I am thinking about buying a aegis 100w, but I don't like that the venting is pointing at my face, so I have a couple of questions.
- does the venting really works on the aegis 100w?

- how can I know if a battery is venting? Will I notice it so I don't use the mod?

- is it heat that courses venting?

- would you use a mod with venting holes pointing at your face?

Reactions: stols001

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Heh. That vent you are looking at is for the USB port. If you remove those torx screws on that plate you’ll find a fairly deeply sunk in microUSB2 port you can use to update your firmware.
The ageis is a VV mod and doesn’t need venting the way a mech mod does. It relies on electronic cut-outs to keep the battery from going critical in the first place.

If a battery vents you will know. They don’t vent for very long. It’s a big “PSSSSTTTT” of releasing gas and everything goes dead. VV mods (anything that has a screen on it, basically) don’t generally have this problem. You have to abuse a battery fairly severely to get it to vent. VV mods don’t abuse batteries the way mechs can if they are misused.

What causes venting is using the battery harder than it can keep up. This can be caused by a few things one of which is a short circuit. As batteries age their ability to keep up also reduces. Heat is one of the things that indicates a battery is not healthy.

Luckily there are no vent holes pointing at your face.

mortenhy

ECF Veteran
Apr 29, 2017
Heh. That vent you are looking at is for the USB port. If you remove those torx screws on that plate you’ll find a fairly deeply sunk in microUSB2 port you can use to update your firmware.
The ageis is a VV mod and doesn’t need venting the way a mech mod does. It relies on electronic cut-outs to keep the battery from going critical in the first place.

If a battery vents you will know. They don’t vent for very long. It’s a big “PSSSSTTTT” of releasing gas and everything goes dead. VV mods (anything that has a screen on it, basically) don’t generally have this problem. You have to abuse a battery fairly severely to get it to vent. VV mods don’t abuse batteries the way mechs do.

What causes venting is using the battery harder than it can keep up. This can be caused by a few things one of which is a short circuit. As batteries age their ability to keep up also reduces. Heat is one of the things that indicates a battery is not healthy.

Luckily there are no vent holes pointing at your face.

Thanks for the answer. So using the aegis 100w should be safe?
BTW, the venting is right next to the USB port pointing at your face (i think you are talking about the aegis legend 200w).
Have a great day and once again thank you for the time.

• Optimistic
Reactions: stols001

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
image.jpg
image.jpg
BTW, the venting is right next to the USB port pointing at your face (i think you are talking about the aegis legend 200w).
You refereeing to those five holes in a pentagram? USB port.
If someone told you they were battery vent holes they were wrong.

mortenhy

ECF Veteran
Apr 29, 2017
View attachment 804813 View attachment 804809
You refereeing to those five holes in a pentagram? USB port.
If someone told you they were battery vent holes they were wrong.
Thanks for the answer.. Yes it is exactly those holes.. So you say this is not venting? But in all the reviews I have seen on YouTube, they all say that these holes are for venting ? Lol I am really confused now. .

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
The ageis 100 doesn’t have ANY vent holes. It’s waterproof. That’s the whole point. Neither does the legend. They’re both VV mods. They don’t need vent holes the way a mech mod does.

mortenhy

ECF Veteran
Apr 29, 2017
The ageis 100 doesn’t have ANY vent holes. It’s waterproof. That’s the whole point. Neither does the legend. They’re both VV mods. They don’t need vent holes the way a mech mod does.
This is from the official geekvape website and according to geekvape , both mods have venting holes.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190323-095241.png
    Screenshot_20190323-095241.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 122

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Thanks for the answer.. Yes it is exactly those holes.. So you say this is not venting? But in all the reviews I have seen on YouTube, they all say that these holes are for venting ? Lol I am really confused now. .
It shouldn’t matter very much in the end. The ageis 100 is out of production and has become quite hard to find. I suppose it is possible that if the battery vents it will blow the silicone USB port out of the way and vent through those holes. Venting would kill a VV mod anyway so it doesn’t matter if the device parts are destroyed. If a battery vented in a legend it would probably just blow the bottom battery cover off. The ageis 100 has a very strong battery cover though so I could see it needing something else. Very very few mods are waterproof so it isn’t an issue that would come up much.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
image.jpg
image.jpg
This is from the official geekvape website and according to geekvape , both mods have venting holes.
Legend venting outer “holes” vs. inside the cover. Notice how there are no holes on the inside? They don’t go all the way through.

mortenhy

ECF Veteran
Apr 29, 2017
It shouldn’t matter very much in the end. The ageis 100 is out of production and has become quite hard to find. I suppose it is possible that if the battery vents it will blow the silicone USB port out of the way and vent through those holes. Venting would kill a VV mod anyway so it doesn’t matter if the device parts are destroyed. If a battery vented in a legend it would probably just blow the bottom battery cover off. The ageis 100 has a very strong battery cover though so I could see it needing something else. Very very few mods are waterproof so it isn’t an issue that would come up much.
Thanks again for the time. I think I will buy it.

mortenhy

ECF Veteran
Apr 29, 2017

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Lol you are absolutely right.. Oh by the way , are you using it on a daily basis and are you happy with it?
The legend? Yes. Mostly. It holds a lot of battery so it lasts a long time, and it’s very rugged. The only issue I have is I wish the Temp Control was better. Temp Control is an issue for any device that doesn’t have a DNA mosfet board though, and DNA boards are expensive. I use it only in wattage mode. This works fine. The TC on the legend isn’t useless, but it is annoying and ticklish. The same is true of the ageis 100, though it holds less battery.

mortenhy

ECF Veteran
Apr 29, 2017
The legend? Yes. Mostly. It holds a lot of battery so it lasts a long time, and it’s very rugged. The only issue I have is I wish the Temp Control was better. Temp Control is an issue for any device that doesn’t have a DNA mosfet board though, and DNA boards are expensive. I use it only in wattage mode. This works fine. The TC on the legend isn’t useless, but it is annoying and ticklish. The same is true of the ageis 100, though it holds less battery.
Thanks again. I only use wattage mode so that is awesome.. Have a good day .

Reactions: Heartsdelight

DeloresRose

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
toledo ohio
Thanks again. I only use wattage mode so that is awesome.. Have a good day .

I have an Aegis 100 and although I don’t use it every day, I have used it enough to feel very secure with it.

I do not like how large it is for having a shorter battery life, but I love it for when I need something that will take a beating. I swim, and I use it then, and when I’m doing dirty yard work. Does great in VW.

No matter what mod you use, be sure your batteries are authentic, working properly, and show no signs of damage.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Because circuit boards can never fail in such a way as to cause batteries to vent? o_O
Not anything like as often as someone overworking a mech anyway. never is a big word. It’s a whole lot less likely than someone messing up a mech build though. With a mech mod all you need is one “squirrel!” Moment. With a VV mod you need a series of failures to happen all in just the right way. CAN it happen? Of course, but will it?

Last edited:

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Even though I am Danish, I catch the sarcasm lol.. So it could happen, but actually never does?
Never say never. ;)

I've been using mechanical mods exclusively for a very long time and have never vented a battery, but I don't pretend that it can never happen.

There are also plenty of reports of regulated mods that have failed in a spectacular manner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread