Battle of the Rebuildable Atomizers: iAtty, At-o-miser, Bulli A2-T

Status
Not open for further replies.

thedudeabides

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 27, 2010
Boston
hey Ukeman, it depends on the resistance of your resistance wire. You can actually measure the resistance wire yourself (how you do it depends on which device you'll be using). On the iatty I combine my resistance and non-resistance wire on one side and then slide a multimeter down the resistance wire (on the other side) until I get the resistance I want. I then "mark" it with a bend in the wire and then measure off another centimeter in order to combine it with the NR wire.

Once you've measured it out once successfully, you can measure the length and know exactly how long your resistance wire needs to be for future builds.

ukeman

PV Masher
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2010
Kauai, Hawaii
thanks dude; i see how that's done on imeo's youtube... good that you describe it... i need all the help i can get... repetition repetition...

great;

I notice that at the end of the iatty thread there's lots of talk about mesh, and i know the genesis LV has mesh involved..that's one that i believe i am signed up for too, when it gets produced and shipped.

I plan to learn as i go, and will start with the wick and wire as demonstrated here... and with imeo's youtube.

hey Ukeman, it depends on the resistance of your resistance wire. You can actually measure the resistance wire yourself (how you do it depends on which device you'll be using). On the iatty I combine my resistance and non-resistance wire on one side and then slide a multimeter down the resistance wire (on the other side) until I get the resistance I want. I then "mark" it with a bend in the wire and then measure off another centimeter in order to combine it with the NR wire.

Once you've measured it out once successfully, you can measure the length and know exactly how long your resistance wire needs to be for future builds.

thedudeabides

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 27, 2010
Boston
Just wanted to add one more thing. A few have mentioned keeping a rebuildable atomizer around as a backup, and while it's good for that purpose there are better reasons.

1) you know what's in there. No vaping solder or other 2nd rate materials. YOU control what's in your atomizer. I am using kanthal for my coil, .999 fine silver (no reactivity with juice) non-resistance wire and an almost impossible to burn braided ceramic wick (some use stainless steel even). I can't even begin to describe how good my juice tastes with components like this, not to mention I'm not worried about inhaling god knows what (primer, solder, burning fiberglass, etc).

2) Cost. Even using the highest end internals a rebuild costs me 1/10 what an atomizer would.

3) Longevity/reliability. See above, regarding high end internals. They don't just produce great flavor, but they last. I've yet to pop a coil, and I've done plenty of long dry burns to fry off juice.

4) Customization. My last atty I metered at 1.1 ohms and it hits like a freight train, try finding someone who'll sell you a 1.1 or a 2.3, or a 3.9, or a...you get the idea:)

ukeman

PV Masher
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2010
Kauai, Hawaii
yes, yes, yes and yes! It's good to know that you can control the materials.
what about the vapor production?
I got stoked just looking at the amounts of vapor some of the rebuildable atty vids have displayed.
Normally i am intimidated by DIY especially electronics, but 1. cost of dispensible/disposable attys, 2. luxury of a better vape is what sold me... and the fact that they can come virtually completed.

Just wanted to add one more thing. A few have mentioned keeping a rebuildable atomizer around as a backup, and while it's good for that purpose there are better reasons.

1) you know what's in there. No vaping solder or other 2nd rate materials. YOU control what's in your atomizer. I am using kanthal for my coil, .999 fine silver (no reactivity with juice) non-resistance wire and an almost impossible to burn braided ceramic wick (some use stainless steel even). I can't even begin to describe how good my juice tastes with components like this, not to mention I'm not worried about inhaling god knows what (primer, solder, burning fiberglass, etc).

2) Cost. Even using the highest end internals a rebuild costs me 1/10 what an atomizer would.

3) Longevity/reliability. See above, regarding high end internals. They don't just produce great flavor, but they last. I've yet to pop a coil, and I've done plenty of long dry burns to fry off juice.

4) Customization. My last atty I metered at 1.1 ohms and it hits like a freight train, try finding someone who'll sell you a 1.1 or a 2.3, or a 3.9, or a...you get the idea:)

thedudeabides

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 27, 2010
Boston
yes, yes, yes and yes! It's good to know that you can control the materials.
what about the vapor production?
I got stoked just looking at the amounts of vapor some of the rebuildable atty vids have displayed.
Normally i am intimidated by DIY especially electronics, but 1. cost of dispensible/disposable attys, 2. luxury of a better vape is what sold me... and the fact that they can come virtually completed.

Well, I use an iatty paired with a GGTS which allows you to adjust your draw, on most any other mod the iatty would probably be on the airy side. Don't be intimidated, I'm not much of a DIYer and I built a perfect coil on my first try. Just be sure there is good documentation and you'll be fine. The hardest part (but probably the funnest) was finding and sourcing the best internals, you can thank the community for already doing that part though:)

ukeman

PV Masher
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2010
Kauai, Hawaii
I know some are using it on the Provari, which is one of what i have, and a Buzz Pro, but most likely the Vari...
I'll check around to see what's or if there is any special setup for the Vari...

Well, I use an iatty paired with a GGTS which allows you to adjust your draw, on most any other mod the iatty would probably be on the airy side. Don't be intimidated, I'm not much of a DIYer and I built a perfect coil on my first try. Just be sure there is good documentation and you'll be fine. The hardest part (but probably the funnest) was finding and sourcing the best internals, you can thank the community for already doing that part though:)

ukeman

PV Masher
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2010
Kauai, Hawaii
According to OP, she likes the iatty on her Vari a lot ...saying the iatty is the best of the three, and using it on her Vari... makes me pretty confident.
I know some are using it on the Provari, which is one of what i have, and a Buzz Pro, but most likely the Vari...
I'll check around to see what's or if there is any special setup for the Vari...

mergryphon

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Ukeman, I measure them pretty much exactly as Thedudeabides said. Use the multimeter like Imeo showed and then bend it and twist the other NR wire to that point. The number of wraps around the coil also seem to have smaller effect on the resistance you will get. I am not an electrical expert but more coils seems to equal slightly higher Ohms resistance.

What I use it on depends on what resistance I get. When I can get lower than 2.0 Ohm, I'll stick it on one of the GGTSs. Otherwise I slap it on a VV Tube mod.

ukeman

PV Masher
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2010
Kauai, Hawaii
I hear you mergryphon, at least i think you mean that because of the Provari's amp limiter, you have to use higher than 2.0 Ohm... no?
thanks much for the info that will be helpful... I'll be aiming at 2.2 to 3.2 Ohms.

Ukeman, I measure them pretty much exactly as Thedudeabides said. Use the multimeter like Imeo showed and then bend it and twist the other NR wire to that point. The number of wraps around the coil also seem to have smaller effect on the resistance you will get. I am not an electrical expert but more coils seems to equal slightly higher Ohms resistance.

What I use it on depends on what resistance I get. When I can get lower than 2.0 Ohm, I'll stick it on one of the GGTSs. Otherwise I slap it on a VV Tube mod.

ukeman

PV Masher
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2010
Kauai, Hawaii
According to OP, she likes the iatty on her Vari a lot ...saying the iatty is the best of the three, and using it on her Vari... makes me pretty confident.
looks like i got that wrong... in the vid mergryphon tests the ohm of the wire with the Vari, then puts the completed iatty on her GG...

So until i get ahold of a GG... looking forward to the VV version hopefully this year sometime... i'm off to see what folks say about using it on a Vari...

TUS172

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 13, 2011
Tucson

Thanks for this post... I have a few questions for you:
1) What awg are you using for your resistance and silver wires?
2) I have not been able to find Ceramic wick anywhere, where are you sourcing it?
Thanks again...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread