BE VERY CAREFUL!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

trigger

May 4, 2008
Edinburgh, UK
I have just seen the e-cigarette on wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E-cigarette
It states that Ruyan mentions 4 recipes on their patent application. These 4 recipes are shown with links to each ingredient, the one concerning me being harmless glycerol! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glycerol

Danger of contamination with diethylene glycol

On May 4, 2007, the US Food and Drug Administration advised all US makers of medicines to test all batches of glycerine for the toxic diethylene glycol.[11] This follows an occurrence of 100 fatal poisonings in Panama resulting from a Chinese factory deliberately falsifying records in order to export the cheaper diethylene glycol as the more expensive glycerol.[12] Glycerine and diethylene glycol are similar in appearance, smell, and taste. The US Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act was passed following the 1937 "Elixir Sulfanilamide" incident of poisoning caused by diethylene glycol contamination of medicine.

I know almost, if not everyone on here knows about this incident but, are these chinese companies going to make the same mistake again by using the cheaper, yet highly toxic alternative in our e-liquid?

Phil.

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
That's the incident both Dr. Loi and I refer to in other posts. It began because an industrial grade of glycol was substituted to save some pennies for an intravenous medicine. It was an international disaster (some estimates of 10,000-60,000 poisoned) because of the lies on the labels. It was a major New York Times investigation and expose.

Is China incapable of telling the truth on labels? The contaminated barrels of "medicine" were mislabeled on purpose and sent through all sorts of shady shipping routes so they couldn't be traced. Result? Investigators couldn't find the deadly stuff until more and more were poisoned by it. Nice going, huh? A few pennies saved here, a few lives lost there.

And, yes, glycerine is already an ingredient in most e-liquid. Check out our listing of ingredients on this forum or the list on E-Cig. So a deadly type of industrial glycerine COULD find its way into e-liquid -- if a few pennies need to be saved by a Chinese company cutting quality and safety corners.

dc2k08

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 21, 2008
.ie
www.e-cignews.com
scares me. i always worried about the cheap e-cig i got..why is so cheap compared to the others...i know alot of the mark-up is just on glitter and because of advertising costs ans scaling but what if the cheapies are cutting corners like this...i mean ruyan cant even protect their patent from them...they probably know they will never be accountable for any damage and just move onto some other scheme if it goes ....-up. i need someone to test the exact fluid in my e-cig before i stop worrying. i wonder how much something like this would cost.

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
If it's any consolation -- and it shouldn't be -- I still smoke E-Liquid bought long ago from E-Cig. I think we'd know by now if there were immediate harmful effects. There haven't been any reported. I'm assuming the liquid is "as advertised." I know Dr. Murray Laugesen tested the purity of Ruyan liquid and it was safe and as advertised.

I wouldn't worry too much about unsafe liquid AT THIS TIME. Long term use? Consequences untested and unknown. Long term safety? No way to know. Buy from E-Cig again? Never.

Mamba

Jun 19, 2008
U.S.A.
trigger said:
I know almost, if not everyone on here knows about this incident but, are these chinese companies going to make the same mistake again by using the cheaper, yet highly toxic alternative in our e-liquid?

Phil.

Is this only an issue for e-liquid, or for any cartridge as well? Are the U.S. seller's cartridges from Chinese sources? Do any of the major brands like Njoy and Janti guarantee their cartridge content or periodically test their cartridges to see if the ingredients are as stated?

Mamba

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread