Been A While But I took It To A Whole New Level

Status
Not open for further replies.

bcalvanese

ECF Veteran
Jun 16, 2012
Pennsylvania
I replaced cigarettes with vaping, but that wasn't enough. It took me about 6 months to wean myself off of my 3 PAD habit, but I was also obese and developed health issues from 40+ years of smoking.

I am 5'8" tall, 58 years old, and weighed 225+ (probably closer to 230) lbs. a little over a year ago. A couple years before that I developed diverticulitis and was hospitalized several times for it over almost a 2 year period. It got so bad I had to have surgery to remove an 8 inch section of my colon. During the pre-screening for the surgery, they uncovered other issues. They told me I had COPD, and a small part of the bottom of my heart was slightly enlarged and that I could have had a mini heart attack at some point. I also have blood clot issues and am on blood thinners for that.

They told me I had to quit smoking, exercise, and lose weight or else it would not be good for me. They all recommended walking for exercise, and most of the doctors recommended electronic cigarettes to quit smoking.

So I started walking 1 mile at a slow pace (about 3 mph). I felt like I was going to die and had to lay down for an hour each time I did it. Heart pounding, lungs gasping, feet/ankles/shins/knees/hips/back killing me, sweating profusely, and asking my wife to "please shoot me in the head". I kept doing it. 2, 3, sometimes 4 times a day until it started feeling better. I could go faster and further as the months went on.

Currently, I have not smoked in about 4 months now, have lost over 55 lbs., and can power walk at a 4.3 mph pace for about 10 miles with no problem. I recently had a checkup with my doctor that included every blood test that a person can get, and he said that all my blood work is totally normal now, and my resting heart rate has gone from the 80's to the 60's which means my fitness level has improved significantly.

He called me "his success story".

Here is a before and after picture...

12374951_1224372094245527_296468529852758040_o.jpg

I think being healthy is more than just quitting smoking. I think its a whole lifestyle change.

Rule62

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2011
Melbourne, Florida
I replaced cigarettes with vaping, but that wasn't enough. It took me about 6 months to wean myself off of my 3 PAD habit, but I was also obese and developed health issues from 40+ years of smoking.

I am 5'8" tall, 58 years old, and weighed 225+ (probably closer to 230) lbs. a little over a year ago. A couple years before that I developed diverticulitis and was hospitalized several times for it over almost a 2 year period. It got so bad I had to have surgery to remove an 8 inch section of my colon. During the pre-screening for the surgery, they uncovered other issues. They told me I had COPD, and a small part of the bottom of my heart was slightly enlarged and that I could have had a mini heart attack at some point. I also have blood clot issues and am on blood thinners for that.

They told me I had to quit smoking, exercise, and lose weight or else it would not be good for me. They all recommended walking for exercise, and most of the doctors recommended electronic cigarettes to quit smoking.

So I started walking 1 mile at a slow pace (about 3 mph). I felt like I was going to die and had to lay down for an hour each time I did it. Heart pounding, lungs gasping, feet/ankles/shins/knees/hips/back killing me, sweating profusely, and asking my wife to "please shoot me in the head". I kept doing it. 2, 3, sometimes 4 times a day until it started feeling better. I could go faster and further as the months went on.

Currently, I have not smoked in about 4 months now, have lost over 55 lbs., and can power walk at a 4.3 mph pace for about 10 miles with no problem. I recently had a checkup with my doctor that included every blood test that a person can get, and he said that all my blood work is totally normal now, and my resting heart rate has gone from the 80's to the 60's which means my fitness level has improved significantly.

View attachment 581521

I think being healthy is more than just quitting smoking. I think its a whole lifestyle change.

Congratulations on your hard work and success. I'm currently in the same boat, although I'm 11 years older. I was in terrific shape, 15 years ago. I was in the gym 4 or 5 days a week, rode mt. bikes and kayaked on weekends, and cross country skied in the winter, when I lived up north. Since retiring 13 years ago, I let myself go, to the point where weighed about 215. I too am 5'-8". For me as well, it was getting painful to walk any distance, especially in my hips and back.
In early June, I had a regular appointment with my Doctor, which was preceded by routine blood work. At the appointment, my Dr. Informed me that my blood glucose was a bit high, and I was in danger of being pre-diabetic. He suggested a low carb diet, try and lose some weight, and monitor my blood glucose daily.
Long story short, since the first week of June, I've lost 25lb. My fasting blood glucose has dropped well below the 100 threshold (usually around 90). I'm trying to stay below 50 carbs per day. My goal is to get down around 170 or below.

Racehorse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2012
USA midwest
So I started walking 1 mile at a slow pace (about 3 mph).
.....I kept doing it. 2, 3, sometimes 4 times a day until it started feeling better. I could go faster and further as the months went on.

Congrats! That is a great walking program, and pretty much how i started out years ago when I decided to become a walker/hiker.

Makes a huge difference, glad to hear you are "going places" :lol:

Reactions: bnrkwest

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Right On bcalvanese !

I remember reading your "Fell Off the Wagon" Thread last year and Hoping you could get back to Better things.

Your Story goes Way Beyond that. And you Nailed it with Whole Lifestyle Change. What a Great Inspiration to Us All.

bnrkwest

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 6, 2011
Somewhere out there

View attachment 581521

Congratulations!!!! You did a wonderful job getting in shape and you are right a total lifestyle change :) :thumbs:

BreSha6869

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 21, 2015
Toronto, Canada
That's awesome! Good job!

I am currently getting back into shape by exercising and eating well. I lost 60lbs almost 10 years ago, quit smoking and even ran a marathon. 4 years later I was back on the smokes (yup, I am a .....!) and last year most of the weight was back. I am 1/2 way there with my weight and vaping has helped me be more active at a bit heavier weight as I couldn't have ran at this weight as a smoker.

FlamingoTutu

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 5, 2013
In the Mountains
:thumbs: So glad to hear of your continuing success. There are blips but you can overcome them. As they say, keep on trucking! Hope you keep a few of those political boneheads apprised of your lifesaving success, not that you have to, just as an afterthought. Perhaps you can copy/paste this to CASAA?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread