Been gone a while, VTC5 back in production?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dam718

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2012
Hawaii
Hi Guys,

I took a bit of a hiatus from ECF due to moving and such... Didn't stop vaping this time, just stepped away from the mic so to speak.

I remember last year some time there was a release from Sony stating that production of the VTC5 had been discontinued.

Yet, there are now sites that I would trust with purchasing batteries that have "New" VTC5's in stock...

RTD Vapor, in stock; Liion Wholesale, in stock...

What gives here? Did Sony decide to start making the elusive VTC5 again? Also, these batteries are now spec'd at 20A continuous discharge rating, when did that change? I am seeing a spec sheet that lists them as 30A with an 80 degree temp cut. 20A without 80 degree temp cut? Is this suggesting that they can handle 30A CDR until the hit 80 degrees (I am assuming Celsius) and then the protection goes away and they are only good for 20 after that?

Anyway... Some confusion from an old school vaper here...

TL:DR - What's the deal with these new VTC5's I am seeing available?

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
The main point here is Sony never wanted their batteries to be sold on the open market. They are produced for hybrid cars and selected power tools, and to be used in regulated multiple battery packs. They were never meant to be used singly or alone.

201419111240649.jpg

Of course, this is what vapers use, mostly in single use in unprotected devices.

So depending upon what representative you talk to, Sony has stopped making these batteries, or is still making them but only for selected customers.

Some distributors are still able to get a reliable, steady supply of the Sony VTC 4/5 batteries. Keep in mind that there are still "fakes" or counterfeits on the market, so only buy from trusted companies like RTD Vapor, Illumn, IMR batteries, or Orbtronics.

Battery Basics for Mods: The Definative Battery Guide for Vaping
Deeper Understanding of Mod Batteries Part 1
Deeper Understanding of Mod Batteries Part 2

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread