Beginning DIY...Have a Few Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vapemesilly

ECF Veteran
Mar 21, 2017
Nevada
I want to try my first DIY and am not clear on a couple of things.

1. If a recipe calls for 5 flavors that total 12%, does that mean the other 88% is base PG/VG?

2. I don't want to start with a large amount in case I blow it. Can I start out making 10 ml or 20ml? If so, how the heck do you measure out such small amounts of flavoring with any accuracy?
Thanks.

VMS

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Good Deal on starting to do DIY Vapemesilly.

1. If a recipe calls for 5 flavors that total 12%, does that mean the other 88% is base PG/VG?

If your Total Favoring is 12%, then the rest of the Mix would be made up of Nicotine Base and VG or PG and VG.

2. I don't want to start with a large amount in case I blow it. Can I start out making 10 ml or 20ml? If so, how the heck do you measure out such small amounts of flavoring with any accuracy?
Thanks.

VMS

Just Me, but I wouldn't make Batches smaller than 30ml. It's just easier. And DIY is Cheap. So if you Blow a recipe or three, No Big Deal. Everyone does it in the beginning. So no worries.

To Measure Small Amounts of Flavorings, many who are just starting out use a 1ml Syringes with Blunt tip needle.

Last edited:

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

Thanks.

VMS

BTW - Many times when people mention VG when talking about DIY, what they are saying is Pure VG diluted with a Small amount of Distilled Water.

Unless you are seeking Maximum Clouds, using Pure Non-Diluted VG in a Higher VG Ratio mix can sometimes cause Wicking Issues.

And some people, like Myself, feel that a little Added Water in a Recipe can actually Help the Mix taste better.

How Much Water should you add to you Pure VG? Hard to Say. I dilute my VG until it is just a Little Thicker than the PG.

vaper1960

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2019
California, US
You will need some basic supplies (bottles, blunt needle syringes, funnels, ect.) and of course nicotine, VG and PG (those last two can be bought from amazon) I used to recommend a starter kit from Heartland vapes but don't know if they are still around (it was a great deal) I'll check on that soon. Don't just get a bunch of flavors that sound good (and don't assume just because a brand is popular that all of their flavors are good) Ask here for specific recommendations (I also have a helpful list if you are interested)
What flavors of e-juice do you like?
BTW, the most common ratio is 70VG/30PG but that also depends on your device and personal preference. What are you using right now? MTL or DL? More info helps.

vaper1960

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2019
California, US
Heartland doesn't have the starter kit anymore... too bad, it was great. The first thing you need to consider is getting nicotine (100 mg/ml is most common) or getting unflavored juice at the nic level you like (that can be a super easy way to start out) For flavors, I like BCF (Bull City Flavors) Most everything else can be found at Amazon.
People (like me) that did this for awhile and got really into it eventually get a scale to measure flavors but I used a simple blunt needle syringe for a long time... it's not that hard to do.

newyork13

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 9, 2013
western Massachusetts
When I'm making a new recipe, unless I'm completely confident I'm going to love it, I'll never make more than 15ml.
But, of course, you're right that it's difficult to measure out those small amounts. That's where a scale does its job. Especially with mixes which have a lot of flavors, and which would use multiple syringes etc.
For me, the other aspect of it is that nic is harder and harder to buy. So, I'm not as free and easy with mixing, and as willing to dump a mixture.

Vapemesilly

ECF Veteran
Mar 21, 2017
Nevada
Thanks for the replies everyone. Very helpful. I have a couple of recipes I want to try and I've got some flavors, more ordered and on the way. I've got nicotine and PG/VG base. I will probably do my first try by measurement and see how it goes. I don't really understand the weight method but I'll figure it out if need to go that way.

I'm kind of excited about this.

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
People (like me) that did this for awhile and got really into it eventually get a scale to measure flavors but I used a simple blunt needle syringe for a long time... it's not that hard to do.

OH NO! So...even after doing DIY for almost 6 years, and having more than 375 flavorings...I haven't "gotten really into it" yet, because I still measure by volume? :shock: There are lots of us in that same boat then. :D

I will probably do my first try by measurement and see how it goes. I don't really understand the weight method but I'll figure it out if need to go that way.

You can make great DIY using either measurement method...by weight or by volume. The method used is just a personal preference. There's a long thread in this subforum on measuring by weight, that many people have used for help, hints, etc. when using that method and a scale. But, there isn't 1 like it for just measuring by volume. If you'd like to learn an easy-peasy, quick way by volume... that's not messy, requires only 2-3 syringes & syringe tip caps, and no measuring out of the plain PG and VG...just PM me. I've got a large quantity of various sized syringes, tip caps, new empty bottles, etc. that I'd gladly send you for free so you could try it. :)

Last edited:

vaper1960

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2019
California, US
JC, I tend to make lots of small batches (experiment a lot) so measuring flavors by volume is hard to be accurate. With a scale, I can bust out four complicated recipes in 20 minutes. If I made larger batches, I might just go with measuring by volume... it is very easy. Example: say I just got 12 new flavors and want to do SFTs (for the OP... that means "single flavor tests) 10 ml batches would be hard to do without a scale.
Hey, I just noticed your offer for the OP... very nice of you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread