• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Being a christian and smoking / vaping

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unhooked

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 8, 2012
Michigan USA
This christian group section seems pretty dead lately so I thought I'd get some meaningful discussion going maybe.

As a christian I was always a closet smoker. I tried doing it in public but I always felt it ruined my "witness". I never smoked a lot, always less than a half pack a day, but I felt christians judged me or would judge me as weak and worldly, and non-christians would consider me a hypocrite (even though they are not even trying to be pure themselves). I did quit for good about 5 years ago when I became a pastor, though I still do miss it sometimes.

I found vaping and became a no nic vaper, which as you can see from my sig is about half the fun of smoking but that is better than nothing. Yet I still feel even as a no nic vaper I have to hide it. I mean I only toot on the PV in the evenings in my office anyway for the most part, but I don't leave my gear or juice sitting around where people can see it either.

I was wondering what your experiences are with smoking as a christian, smoking in public, having to hide it, and likewise for vaping.

Calicam

Verified Member
Apr 7, 2013
Los Angeles
I vape in the parking lot at Church. I would not vape inside the Church but I'm not ashamed of other members seeing me, I actually welcome the questions. We're all sinners and we all have vices. Yes, nicotine is addictive...so is caffeine....my two vices. Lord have Mercy!

OP, are you simply self-conscious about others seeing you or are you ashamed of your vice in God's eyes? If the Spirit is moving you to feel such discomfort about vaping, then you know what to do. If you are simply concerned about what other people may be saying, don't worry and vape on!

HarmonyPB

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 19, 2011
Houston, Texas, USA
www.facebook.com
Thanks for livening up the place! I do wish there were more convos on here.

As a child I was always taught that smoking was bad/sin and so I looked at smokers as sinners. At one church I went to a woman was told she could not teach Sunday School because she smoked, which I thought was wrong even as a child.

I know my dad mentioned that he didn't feel very welcome at church because he was a smoker and I thought that was just terrible.

When I became a smoker I wasn't going to church and I didn't start going to church until after I became a vaper although the two aren't linked. I have always been a closet smoker and now a closet vaper and would never tell any of my church friends about it for fear of judgement. That is probably just me being self-conscious though as the people I hang out with are very supportive and loving.

Personally I do not judge people for smoking now that I've grown up and have my own beliefs. I believe as Calicam said, if God has a problem with it then He will let them know. It is none of my business. I do know several people that have been delivered from the addiction of smoking and I envy them for that. He may deal with me about it one day, but for now we have bigger fish to fry :)

Stay strong Unhooked! That must be rough :(

newboy

Dec 2, 2010
south carolina
I used to intentionally smoke outside the door of our church, just to infuriate the hypocritical and legalistic jerks there. Some of them got pretty upset.

I do believe in living my life according to my convictions, and not someone else's.

But, now, I probably wouldn't be so overt, just because I don't want the kids to see me, and think it's cool.

You do realize the first cigarette was in the Bible, right. Genesis 24:64 "Rebekah lit off her Camel.."

Reactions: flambo

Honigschmidt

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 1, 2011
Sacramento Ca
I'm a lot like you Unhooked. Smoking was something I could not do in the presence of God's people. It was one of those things I always felt kept me back from enjoying God's people.

Each one of us differs so greatly, but for me I was fearing the judgment of others... especially those in God's family. Even when I quit smoking for vaping it was something else.

Not something I have fully kicked yet, but I got a chance to facilitate a group for addictions. Now that was fun and eye opening for me. I looked forward to smoking/vaping out in the parking lot every week with them. I mean once you realize you are never gonna perfect and no one should really see you that way, you really start to get comfortable in your own skin.

MrSelf Destruct

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2013
Cobra Island
I do not hide my vaping. I didn't hide my smoking either. I can't hide it from God so I'm not going to hide it from his subjects. Judge not lest you be judged and he who is without sin cast the first stone. I do understand where you are coming from being a pastor and wanting to hide it. A lot of people forget that pastors are people/sinners too and feel they should be without sin. Not going to happen!

inter_ceptor00

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 27, 2011
Minor Details
I'm a lot like you Unhooked. Smoking was something I could not do in the presence of God's people. It was one of those things I always felt kept me back from enjoying God's people.

Each one of us differs so greatly, but for me I was fearing the judgment of others... especially those in God's family. Even when I quit smoking for vaping it was something else.

Not something I have fully kicked yet, but I got a chance to facilitate a group for addictions. Now that was fun and eye opening for me. I looked forward to smoking/vaping out in the parking lot every week with them. I mean once you realize you are never gonna perfect and no one should really see you that way, you really start to get comfortable in your own skin.

If you feel you have to hide something from someone who claims to be in God's family, they are liars. There is only one judge who matters. And no one in God's family is going to be the one to step on those toes.

Light Seeker

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 31, 2013
Houston TX
I help teach at a large weekly adult Church group, and was always slipping outside for a smoke before, after, or during breaks with several of my group's assistants, and often, class participants.

About a year ago my good friend, a Church employee & my main 'smoke buddy', joined me outside our class and pulled out an ecig from her purse to join me. She told me all about vaping, explaining the hardware and juices, telling me how easy it was to quit her 2pad habit, let me try her ego, and where to buy everything.

Few weeks later at a restaurant, she also told my wife all about her ecig and let her try it. That was all it took.... We then ordered kits and juice samplers for both of us.

I now vape outside the same religious class, and have introduced vaping to quite a few class lecturers, team members, and students. My friend who turned me on to vaping now jokes that perhaps our personal 'Great Commission' is not only teaching the Word, but also converting others to vaping :)

StarsAndBars

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 13, 2010
Colorado
I've thought about this subject plenty of times. I must admit I feel the need to hide the fact that I vape from fellow church members. I wouldn't take extreme measures to do it or deny it, but yeah, I would prefer for it to remain unknown.

I've often asked myself, "Why is this? these people believe the same teachings that I believe. None of them are flawless, and they all know it, so why do I feel the need to hide my flaws (ok maybe not flaw but just keep reading) from them?" The conclusion I've reached is that we are all still human, and still influenced by the mores of society. Vaping is viewed by many as a form of smoking, and smoking has been labeled by society to be, well, a bad thing.

So why would people that know they are not without fault judge me for having fault (again, not fault but w/e)? I dunno, maybe it's in my head, maybe they wouldn't. Maybe some would and some wouldn't. We all have the same faulty mind, and can be prone to being judgmental(even if we don't realize we are doing it at the time). Then again, I'm 31 years old and don't vape when I visit my parents. They know I do it and don't care, but I still don't. I guess in some crazy way I feel like it may make them uncomfortable or something. Maybe it wouldn't, and that's in my head too, I dunno.

It's never been a huge deal for me because church services and functions generally only last a few hours, so it's not like I've ever been having a nic attack and just had to deal with it because I'm at church. Not to get off topic but for me, it is easier to go for longer periods without vaping than it was when I smoked.
When I smoked, 4 hours without a cig, and I was about to flip out. Now four hours and I def want to vape, but it's more of a want and less of a "man I'm about to freak" kind of thing.

Last edited:

Rodeorat

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 14, 2013
Guthrie, OK
You guys and gals can do better than that!

Guess you're not pleased with the answers you've received thus far. Guess I could try :)

As a christian smoker, I lived with a "thorn". I did believe it was a sin, and frankly, I could argue that it is. As I grew in the faith, I knew my vice wasn't a damnable sin so I didn't judge myself or others too harshly. Being a hypocrite is a bigger sin.
So in public, as long as I was on my own time, I was ok. If I'm out there in His name, in a christion social setting, no smoking! As you pointed out, the witness is more important than my feelngs or rationalizations. We are commanded not to cause our brother/sister to fall. As a church leader/pastor, you'd be held to an even higher accountability.
Using discretion isn't the same as hiding something. I took a break from it around the church, saved it for my own time, and didn't lie about it.

The argument for the "sinfulness" of smoking is based on how destructive cigarette smoking is to the flesh. Additionally, Paul said anything we do not from faith, is sin. So smoking in and of itself isn't sin, but cigs sure could be just based on their harm alone.
So that said, what do we do with vaping? As far as we know to this point, there is no demonstrable physical damage caused by vaping, so we're not defiling the "temple" with it. The only potential question would be the witness. Sadly, with the lack of information available to the general public, vaping is lumped in with use. So we still have a problem with our witness, even if it is the result of misunderstanding. Fortunately though, it's also an opportunity to educate. Hopefully, over time, that perception may change, but for now, it is what it is.
Is vaping a sin? Depends...are you acting from faith?

BTW, You can add nicotine to your vape, unless you just dont like it. Nicotine is a naturally occurring substance, found in plants and vegetables. So God was using nicotine before we ever did.

FLExJuice

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 24, 2013
USA
Yesterday afternoon after a much needed rest on a Sunday, I was thanking God for nicotine as I was sitting in my fancy massage chair in zero-g mode and playing Christian songs in the background.

Here's my take on Christianity. Everyone has different convictions and they differ so much because of incorrect doctrine and maturity level. Some have issues with wine but Jesus turned water to wine. Some can't eat bacon because it's sin to them. Some worship on Saturday instead of Sunday. Some like going to church on Wednesday. Some believe in the pre-rapture. Some believe in a mid-trib or pan-trib or no-trib. There is so much non-sense in Christianity it turns off many non-believers and even believers. I know we are not perfect but let's remove the plank from our eye before trying to remove the speck from our friend's eye. I know Christians will look down at me for vaping because to them it's a vice. I won't vape around them or even let them know I do it unless I'm helping someone who smokes.

There is a church for everyone. If you're a cowboy, you go to the Cowboy church. If you like hunting, they got services where you can wear your camo. If you like surfing, they got churchs that let you where boardshorts and sandals. You like poisonous snakes, they got services that pass them around.

So why not a Vapor Church where you can vape? Or a study group that welcomes vaping?

This should get exciting...

HarmonyPB

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 19, 2011
Houston, Texas, USA
www.facebook.com
+1 to that Flex!! I am currently looking for a church and I Googled "vaping church". Unfortunately it only came back with forum posts :( Maybe one day though!

I know people that God has told them to give up things like coffee or television. Those things were hindrances for them. The ones that understood this knew that it was something God wanted for them. The ones that didn't understand thought these things were evil and no one should drink coffee or watch television. If you have a personal relationship with God then He will speak to you on a personal level. He knows you better than you know yourself and He knows what you need and when you need it. It reminds me of the stories about that one guy that married a prostitute or when God told that guy to sacrifice his son. If they were to tell other people "God told me to..." then people probably wouldn't believe them and think that they are "sinning" or have just lost their mind. I mean, God told David to kill Goliath right? But killing is a sin, it's one of the big 10. I have decided that I no longer believe in black and white. I just keep an open mind, ask God what to do and then do it, whether I really want to do it or not. No matter what other people think. I know someone brought up that we aren't supposed to do things that cause others to stumble, but I see that more like don't offer a recovering drunk a drink or even drink around them. But some people are impossible, no matter what you do they are always going to find something you are doing wrong. We are not here to please people. As long as you know that you are doing what God wants you to do, let Him take care of all the other people, He's big enough. And it is their responsibility to do what God wants for them, that's not on you. If there is something I am doing that is truly hurting someone else I believe that God will let me know. That is not to say that God doesn't use other people to bring issues to light. But again, if someone brings something to me I say "Thank you" and then go to God with it. I've been in that situation before. I had preachers telling me that the way I was living was wrong and that God couldn't use me as long as I continued living that way. However, when I asked God about it He didn't have a problem with it at all and He was already using me in bigger ways than I could ever imagine. In fact, there were a few people that overheard the conversation and I was able to encourage them in the way that I responded to the guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread