Being a Lone Vaper?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FRANKSTER

ECF Veteran
Oct 13, 2011
staten island, new york
I am sure most people on this forum know at least one person who vapes. Knowing other people who vape makes the vaping process so much easier, more efficient and I think much cheaper. The perfect example would be me, I cannot begin to tell you the problems that I have had with vaping. Mainly because I have no-one to get the correct info from.

I understand there are forums like this but nothing beats knowing a friend who can point you in the right direction. It has come to the point where I almost feel like going back to smoking. I never got into vaping for health issues. I did it for the money. I always felt great and I still do. I have been vaping for over 2 years and I feel no healthier now than I did then. I never thought that I would be running into so many problems though.

I do not even want to begin with 99.9 percent of juices that I thought and still think are just horrible. If I had a friend who vaped, I would have saved so much money and aggravation. This is why for about a year and a half I used just one or 2 cartos and the same 2 juices and that was it. I did not want to watch any more videos because I was just sick of watching reviewers telling people how great this juice was and how fabulous this mod is. I think they are all shills anyway and leave that to another day.

Now I decided to get into tanks for pretty much the first time after vaping for 2 years and of course the same problems I had 2 years ago have resurfaced and I find myself totally disgusted once again. I go out and buy a Protank 2 because Phil busardo was making these tank systems to be the greatest thing to come along since S&M.

I pay 20 dollars for it and ten bcc heads for I think another 15 dollars and for some reason every head burned on me when I know I was doing everything correct from watching his videos. I even go out and buy a provari mini with extensions for another 250 dollars. It gets so much worse.

I hear about the bdc coils so I go buy them with 2 adapters for the protank because of course the protank 2 does not handle the bdc coils without the adapter. I finally get the tank to work and after about a day I get the e1 error on the provari. Then I hear about the Great Aspire Nautilis that I buy from Viper Vape or whatever their name is. The 2 heads that come with the tank give me a dry burn after doing everything I can possibly do. Then on about the 2nd or 3rd time screwing on the top piece, the glass tank cracks.

There goes almost 40 dollars down the drain..I e-mail these clowns about what had happened and they do not even have the decency to get back to me. I did not ask for money but I just wanted to let them know what had happened. At the very least they could have sent me another glass tube. To add insult to injury they send me an e-mail to ask me my opinion on my purchase of the Nautilus. Great customer service to be sure. I ordered the glass tank and 3 more heads from another vendor and spent another 20 dollars.

This could never have happened if I knew people who vape. Now, I go out and buy an aspire bdc for 10 dollars and this works ten times better than the protank 2. I cannot tell you how it works compared to the Nautilus because for 40 dollars I did not even get one vape.

If I would have paid the 10 dollars from the beginning of all this I would have saved at least 150 dollars and a whole lot of aggravation.

The story is not over yet because guess what? The aspire bdc by itself does not work on the provari mini. You just get nothing. Now I have to figure out how I can use this aspire bdc on the provari. This would not be going on if I had another vaper to discuss this with. Also while all this is going on I miscalculate the amount of juice I have on hand.

I had to use my American express card and you all know how many juice vendors take American express. I wing up buying 30 mils of halo tribeca from some vendor called Modern Vapor just because they take American express. I know I am most likely going to hate this juice because I tried juice from them before and it was atrocious. I had to buy something but it has not arrived yet. Right now as I write this I have 1 mil of e-liquid. There is no place that I can possibly get juice today. I have juice coming from 3 vendors but I do not have it.

That is another thread I want to start how it can possibly take a week for a vendor to send you 1 ounce of juice. That is a disgrace. I have to go shopping now and I have to make a choice. Do I buy one of those disposable pieces of chunk for 10 to 12 dollars or do I just buy a pack of camel lights and be done with this.

I just wanted you guys who have friends who vape know how much better you are off then A Lone Vaper. Mad as Hell in Staten Island!

I just had to get this off my chest. If anyone has any idea what I am talking about, I would love to hear it.

Enoch777

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 6, 2013
Midwest, USA
#1. Go get yourself a Walmart Money Card. They're Visa or Mastercard.

#2. A lot of people I know, friends and co-workers, have tried vaping. None of them vape exclusively. As far as I know I'm the only person in my immediate circle that is a vaper.

#3. I feel your pain when you mention all these issues you're having with BCCs and tanks in general. I have had a very identical situation. Leaking. Burning. High maintainence costs. I even thought for the longest time that the juices I was paying premium dollar for didn't taste like much at all.

That all changed when I decided to get into rebuilding. It blew my mind how different my juices tasted. How much more vapor and more satisfying TH and vape I was able to give myself.

I will also say from experience juices can taste wildly different based on the wattage (heat) being pumped into your coil. Some are horrible at 6W but great at 15W+. Some taste nasty at anything above 18W. Other factors to include are how you vape, how well your wicking works and what sort of airflow you got. More airflow means more vapor, a bit more TH, and a little less flavor, again depending on the watts.

I wish I had some easy answer I could recommend others, like "Yea just go get this tank or this atomizer and you will be BLOWN AWAY by how easy it is to use and the performance it gives." Sadly that is hardly the case. Pre-built atomizers are a fickle, fickle subject. Are they all horrible? Probably not. Are they all going to perform great? Definitely no.

If and when you get into rebuilding you have the satisfaction of knowing you can replicate the exact same experience and you will certainly get better and better at doing this over time.

I even got to the point where I could, reliably, get a decent vape off my Protank 2. Yet all three Protanks that I own have sat, unused, gathering dust.

Really hope you find the vape you're looking for. Believe me when I say, I was in your shoes for a long while and it took some deliberation, patience, and careful spending to find the magic stuff I was looking for. It's not always the juice. Not always. Not saying all juices are bad or all juices are great, but your setup has a HUGE impact on the satisfaction of your vape experience.

The easiest and simplest solution I can honestly think of is to get yourself a HH.357. They're pricey for an atomizer and they don't last forever but with careful maintenance they can last months and months. Not only that but you would be able to get a premium dripper experience without having to learn about rebuilding.

Keep it up!! :vapor:

CreepyLady

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2013
Salem, MA, USA
Sorry to hear about all the crap shoots you have hit recently :( I did find a store in Staten Island that is open today - https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...277.1073741826.280282581990837&type=1&theater
278 New Dorp Lane
Staten Island, New York 10306
Today 12:00 pm - 10:00 pm

Not sure that they will have good liquid - but its better than none. Hopefully with over 30 flavors something is at least OK.

I hope vaping goes better quickly for you - and if its any consolation - my "vape" people are all people who started after me - so I go through the same thing - I am the guinea pig :blink:

FRANKSTER

ECF Veteran
Oct 13, 2011
staten island, new york
Sorry to hear about all the crap shoots you have hit recently :( I did find a store in Staten Island that is open today - https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...277.1073741826.280282581990837&type=1&theater
278 New Dorp Lane
Staten Island, New York 10306
Today 12:00 pm - 10:00 pm

Not sure that they will have good liquid - but its better than none. Hopefully with over 30 flavors something is at least OK.

I hope vaping goes better quickly for you - and if its any consolation - my "vape" people are all people who started after me - so I go through the same thing - I am the guinea pig :blink:

This is exactly what I am talking about...I was searching the last 2 days on Google for a vape shop in Staten island...I find one called vape world...They have a website...I go to the site...They have the address and they have the hours of operation. They have 3 juice lines so I do what I am supposed to do. I take 2 buses to get to this place walk about 6 streets to the door and they have a big sign that states COMING SOON.

I had to take 2 buses to get home...it cost me ten dollars for 3 hours of my time. There was no mention on Google about the place you mentioned. Now, I am going to call them to see if they are actually there and open. I pass that street yesterday. Unbelievable! I went back to the site of the store that was not opened and there was no mention that they were not opened. I find all this incredible.

Thank you so much...I will make another journey because I do not care what the juice taste like as long as it can get me to when my juices arrive and I forgot to mention that the juice I bought from modern vapor cost me 26 dollars for 30 mil with shipping. Thanks again...I just hope they are open.

CreepyLady

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2013
Salem, MA, USA
This is exactly what I am talking about...I was searching the last 2 days on Google for a vape shop in Staten island...I find one called vape world...They have a website...I go to the site...They have the address and they have the hours of operation. They have 3 juice lines so I do what I am supposed to do. I take 2 buses to get to this place walk about 6 streets to the door and they have a big sign that states COMING SOON.

I had to take 2 buses to get home...it cost me ten dollars for 3 hours of my time. There was no mention on Google about the place you mentioned. Now, I am going to call them to see if they are actually there and open. I pass that street yesterday. Unbelievable! I went back to the site of the store that was not opened and there was no mention that they were not opened. I find all this incredible.

Thank you so much...I will make another journey because I do not care what the juice taste like as long as it can get me to when my juices arrive and I forgot to mention that the juice I bought from modern vapor cost me 26 dollars for 30 mil with shipping. Thanks again...I just hope they are open.

Fingers are crossed!!! I hope so too!

Stosh

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2010
Nevada
Hi, from another long term lone vaper. +100 on the value of juice reviews, with equipment reviews being a close second, most being totally worthless. Nothing seems to work properly "out of the box" and I have a box full of toppers that have been partial of full fledged fails, that I may have avoided if I knew anyone else that vaped.

For juice I've gone to making my own very simple DIY recipes as I've yet to find a pre-mixed flavor that's more than a passing fancy, nothing I want to vape for weeks or months. It's much cheaper, and much better flavor as I can make it as strong or weak as my own taste buds dictate.

For batteries, mods, I keep it simple as I can't taste volts. How long you hold down the fire button makes more difference in flavor and vapor that all the fancy electronic controls and adjustments. A plastic box with a 18650 and horn switch works as well as any high priced electronic model, controlling the power with my thumb on the fire switch.

For toppers, I've tried them all, or at least I use to...:laugh: So many leaks, so many tweaks, so many utter failures, I can't list them all. It would have been great to have someone to discuss them with prior to purchase, but that has not been the case. I've settled on a Vision Vivi-Nova, highly modified from what comes in the box and re-coiled with decent wire and wicks.

Every time I pass a cigarette display, tobacco shop, or "cigarettes for sale" sign, I think about how much easier it used to be for 40+ years for me. At my age, I can tell you with no reservations it does make a huge difference in your health, and I have had enough doctor visits and hospitalizations to prove it. Stick with it, you will find something that works for you, the cost can and will drop...:vapor:

Tinkiegrrl

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2013
New York, NY
OP - I'm in Staten Island. Forget Smoking Kulture. Unless they decided to expand their ecig section, they'll sell you a CE4 for $10. There is a place on Hylan BLvd called Life Made a Little Easier. The guys seem to know what they are talking about in there. They were all vaping rebuildables. They seem to have all of Innokins line of stuff, along with some Kanger and $30 Kayfun and Russian clones if you want to try your hand at rebuilding.

Tinkiegrrl

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2013
New York, NY
They also offer juice I've heard of online. Halcyon Vapers juice from there is good. The Dragon Chi flavor is great. Avoid their premium line, Uncle Junks. It's good juice according to reviews, but you can find it at half the price online as there. I would ask to smell some of it there an then order what you like online. They do not have a tasting bar unfortunately. I too, am waiting for Vapor World to open, as the head shops here do not make ecigs their focus, but life made a little easier does have a far better selection on all of it then Smoking Kulture. I want to go back when I have more time to browse. I had my husband and kids in the car at the time. People were very helpful though. Where are you in Staten Island. On my way home from work in Manhattan, maybe we can meet at the nearest train station one night and I can hand you small sample bottles I've gotten free from vendors. 18 mg nic level if interested. It'll at least get you through until vape mail arrives. Can't meet until Monday night though.

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
Op, Welcome to my side of the Vaping experience. The only Vapers I know are the 20 or so that I introduced to Vaping over the past 17 months. Most are fellow workers or friends of theirs, so I don't really spend time with any.
After working 12hr days, I prefer the company of family.
Yes the journey has been a bit rough and some frustrating times have been endured, but the satisfaction of knowing I will never Smoke again is the best motivator one could ask for.
My offering is simple - ECF, ask questions - get answers, go research for more data/verification/technical knowledge. Evaluate all you learn before committing to anything.
Accept your commitment and follow through. Success comes from trying and overcoming.

*Your latest issue may be solved with a simple Air Control Regulator.
AirFlow.jpg

If all else fails send a P.M. with your issue and I will attempt to help.

Edit: *Note on e-liquids - 99% of all highly recommended e-liquids have been a bust for me. No two people taste things the same.
I now DIY and finally have 3-4 e-liquids I have tweaked to be satisfactory. 1 of those is (my) excellent go to.

Last edited:

solace.discord

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2011
Southern Maine
I don't have any local people as into vaping as I am.. lots of cig-a-likes and pre-filled and no interest in checking out anything different. their eyes cross when I get going.. and no B&Ms to speak of that aren't primarily a different kind of smoke shop.

I'm physically lonely in vaping too. geeks like to geek out together! would be so happy to see a real B&M or meet in my area. I'm more of a lurker here on ECF for the past 2+ years, but it's the only place, the only people I have to connect with in my obsession.

Maine is always the last place to get all the cool stuff.

it can get frustrating.. it's not as easy as smoking.. but once you find what works for you, and of course there's all of us here, it will get better.

Tinkiegrrl

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2013
New York, NY
Oh, and OP, I taste most of the juice I buy over at Henley's Vaporium in Manhattan. I do it because I'm there Monday through Friday anyway. It's the easiest to get to in Manhattan because it's right at the Spring Street station for the 6 train. You can literally see it once you come up the stairs. They have a tasting bar, cafe, wifi access, and occasionally hold coil building classes.

sc12

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 22, 2013
USA
Lone vaper here. Just started recently so I know I'll go through some frustrations but I think finding ECF will help me hold it to a dull roar. The smokers I know would all expect me to supply the research, equipment, e-liquid (everything) and then find something to piss & moan about almost daily so I'll have to stick to being alone in this. Wait! We are not alone...we have ECF!

RocketPuppy

Veteran Puppy
ECF Veteran
Dec 19, 2013
Bay Area, California, USA
I'm Michelle, and I, too, am a lone vapor. As a hs teacher in California, the only smokers are close in age to death. Plus, this is the first s.o. I've lived with who doesn't smoke.

Thankfully, I found ecf very quickly, but without this place, I would have suffered.

At first, I was jealous of all the vapors who had friends with which to share the experience, but I'm comforted this place exists.

I imagine that too many people have gone through similar situations and quit vaping before knowing how amazing it truly is.

Wow! I'm so not the cheesy type person, and I hate cliches, but really, ecf rocks. While I didn't have such a bad experience, I've easily wasted a few hundred dollars figuring out what I do and don't like.

If you ever need to rant to another lone vapor, find someone else. Jk. I'm here. =)

Despite what you have gone through, there are a poop load of people here who will listen and respond at all hours.

RocketPuppy

Veteran Puppy
ECF Veteran
Dec 19, 2013
Bay Area, California, USA
Lone vaper here. Just started recently so I know I'll go through some frustrations but I think finding ECF will help me hold it to a dull roar. The smokers I know would all expect me to supply the research, equipment, e-liquid (everything) and then find something to piss & moan about almost daily so I'll have to stick to being alone in this. Wait! We are not alone...we have ECF!

Exactly!!!

AgentAnia

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2013
Orbiting Sirius B
Another lonely vaper here. ECF has been my support group and my friends' circle.

For the first 10 months I vaped, there were no B&Ms in my town, so all purchases were online, and all info came from ECF and YouTube. Personally, it was all trial and error, resulting in a drawer full of tried-and-failed devices and juices. Then a B&M opened near me; I've made friends with the owners so at least have someone to talk to about vaping. Their selections are prime, but limited, tho being able to taste juices is a *big* plus. But still, none of my friends smoked and none vape.

ECF is always where I come for vaping "companionship." Hang in there, FRANKSTER, keep looking in your area and stay with ECF!

Miarose

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 27, 2013
West Chester, PA
I too can commiserate with being a lonely vaper. People I know, smokers included, think I'm crazy for vaping, and just don't understand it. But I keep on doing it, because it works for me. I had the same issues you did with burning out coils constantly. I found a solution that works great for me. I found ECF, and frequent the forums all the time. It helps me not feel so lonely, and strange. :)

Good luck getting your juice today!

serenity21899

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 18, 2013
Antioch IL
There are vape shops in NY. That is a good place to start meeting other vapers.

When I first got into vaping, I did not know anyone else who did it either. I depended on my own research and ECF at first. Fortunately, I basically made good decisions. When I decided I did not like clearos, I switched to carto tanks, with much better results.

I then found the only vape shop in my area at the time, and went there. The clerk was very helpful and friendly. I went to Vape Bash in Chicago, and then got involved in vape meets. knowing people helps, but there is still some degree of figuring things out for yourself. You don't really know what you will like until you try it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread