Being a Newbie and All...I Need Help, Please!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

lilmrsyeti

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2013
Alabama
First off, I just wanted to thank who ever opened this site up and to all the members for taking time out of their day to answer every ones questions! This place is great! Had it not been for this site, I would have purchased an e-Cig kit that I would have, I'm sure, in no time, had to discard and invest $$ into something better! So not only do I thank you, but my bank account does as well!

I don't want you all to think I here wanting you to do my home work for me. That's not the case, I promise you! It's just that after spending two days on here reading everything I could, I'm still just a bit confused on what all is needed to get us started.

By us, I'm meaning me..and my husband. Here's a bit of background, where you all will better be able to understand our needs. We go through 2 cartons of cigs a week. With the rise of smokes, about a year ago, we switched to "roll your own" where you use that machine to push the bacco into premade tubes...just tried to save us some $$ while we killed ourselves slowly.

Looks like most of you agree that the eGo is ...the way to go..lol...for us Newbies. But which one? There are several! Maybe after reading our background you all can better advise for our needs.

I've seen where people have suggested certain types of batteries for people to get them through the day while they are out and about doing their thing. Well, we live out in the sticks. We "go to town" once a week to buy Tobacco, tubes, groceries, and of course beer! So, we are at home 95% of the time. I really don't care if what we get looks like a Cig or not...the darn thing can look like a Cigar for all I care, as long as it's keeping me from smoking a real Cig. With that in mind...how many batteries do you think we'll need? We have a house full of electronics, so already have a USB wall Charger and a USB car charger.

Since we are just starting out, I need this process to be some what easy. I don't mind getting the juice and filling our own..but I've read people rebuilding this and having to buy certain parts and all of that is Greek to me. I've pretty much figured out that Carts don't seem to be the best choice. So, which is better/last longer..those tanks, or the clear thingies?

I wanting it to be where I place an order once a month for our needs...juice, tanks/clear things. How long does one of those tanks/clear things last? When I place my first order, how many should I get to get us through a month?

I can spend roughly 125 bucks or so start up cost..but that is for two people...is that even possible?

I'm not trying to be bossy...but there are so many vendors out there to buy from...so when you give suggestions, could you please provide links, if thats allowed...where I'll know what I'm looking for?

So to break it down...heres what I need suggestions for. Which eGo to get for a couple who is at home 95% of the time...how many batteries does a couple need...which is easier to use/refill and seem to last the longest...tanks or those clear things...and which one that will be compatible with the type of eGo you suggest. Roughly, to where I'll know how many I need to buy a month...how long does each last?

Also, I know every one uses different amounts of juice...but when I place my first order..what size bottle do you suggest for use to start out with? I can then reorder more juice...but need enough start up to last at least long enough to get more juice in. I'm not interested, at this time, on all those different flavors..just needing something right now to get us off real cigs...but when I look at peoples reviews on different sites for the tobacco flavors, most times someone says how that one is too sweet/fruity...what do you all suggest as just a good tobacco flavor? We used to smoke Pall Malls and Camels, if that helps??

I guess that's about it...about time, right? LOL As you can see, I need LOTS of help. Because we are limited to around 125 bucks, didn't want to invest in the wrong thing and then have to go buy a whole new spread, ya know? :oops:

darkhood

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 22, 2012
PA
Well I didn't read that whole thing but think I got the jist of it...my humble suggestions:

1. Do ur research
2. Start with 1000mah or higher batteries, preferably variable voltage but learn how to calculate ohms and voltage first.
3. Get 2 vivi nova's - they're super easy to clean and maintain and hit very well
4. Try everything u can afford - kanger t3's, ce4's, cartos and carto tanks - u never know what ul like
5. Order sample packs of juice from vendors - 3ml size is all you need - here's a good site to start: Velvet Vapors - Home
6. Most tobacco flavors taste like eating a cigarette - give up now trying to find a replacement for the flavor of smoking a cig.
7. This is not typical advice but if u have the $ just start w/ a replaceable battery mod that uses 18650 or 18350 batteries. I wish I had (but also get a couple cheap 650mah batteries (ego, kgo, etc) to have as backups)). Here's a list of mods by price: http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/apv-discussion/393296-list-mods-price-category.html
8. DO YOUR RESEARCH
9. Have fun finding digging your way outta the rabbit hole :D
10. Click the newbies link in my signature for my personal views on this whole thing and some suggestions and instructions on equipment

jasl90

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 30, 2012
Jacksonville, FL
With only minor variations, I agree with DarkHood. He gave you good advise.
The only thing I'd have said differently...
1) 1000 mAh can turn some people off simply because of the long form factor.
2) Even if you aren't in the least bit familiar with any electrical concepts, such as resistance or voltage, don't let that keep you from going to straight to a variable voltage ego style battery. They're ability to maintain a consistent output voltage throughout the battery change and the fact you can dial in the temperature to suit your taste, makes them a great place to start IMO.

Beyond that... I'll reiterate what DarkHood said... Try as many possible combinations as you can afford to try. If you see something that peeks your interest, do a Google or YouTube search... Odds are someone's done a video or written a review on it.

darkhood

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 22, 2012
PA
^^ I suggested 1000mah + cuz he said he's in a cabin in the woods or something and doesn't care if it looks like a cigar but ya, most important is do your research and learn as much as you can before committing to anything majpr. Basically don't go all crazy, get a provari and have no idea how to use the thing properly when it comes.

btw very easy ohm to voltage method - double the ohms and subtract 0.2 to get the ideal voltage - from there you can +/- 0.4 on either side to get a safe range.

Vapoor eyes er

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 13, 2011
Toronto, Ont.
Hi and welcome to ECF.
First off, I just wanted to thank who ever opened this site up and to all the members for taking time out of their day to answer every ones questions!
That would be the founder of ECF. I also am forever in his debt:
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/members/3/smokeyjoe.html

With the rise of smokes, about a year ago, we switched to "roll your own" where you use that machine to push the bacco into premade tubes
I smoked the same with Reservation tobacco.- 1- 1 1/2 PAD.

Looks like most of you agree that the eGo
The eGo is a class/ style of PV:
JoyTech eGo fires a@ 3.3 volts
Kgo fires @ 3.7 volts
Smok Tek eGo fires @ 3.7 volts
All the above PVs are made by large and reputable companies.
I own the Kgo and JT eGo and notice the diff in the vape. Kgo starter kit about $43.00- includes 2 X 1100 mah batteries, usb, wall adapter and cartomizers.
Battery Info: 100 mah= 1 hr normal vaping before recharge is needed.

I can spend roughly 125 bucks or so start up cost..but that is for two people...is that even possible?
Yes but realize the eGo class are disposable batteries with the electronics inside them, good for about 250- 300 recharges.

So to break it down...heres what I need suggestions for. Which eGo to get for a couple who is at home 95% of the time...how many batteries does a couple need...which is easier to use/refill and seem to last the longest...tanks or those clear things...and which one that will be compatible with the type of eGo you suggest. Roughly, to where I'll know how many I need to buy a month...how long does each last?
All eGo class PVs are 510 AND eGo threading and accept accessories that are 510 or eGo- 510 is the most popular threading. I use use the genuine Vision Mini Vivi Nova- holds 1.8 ml juice and very easy to fill.
a plastic or metal tank with a wick and element. Contains NO stuffing. The rebuildable clearos come with heads (coil+ wick) that can be cheaply ($2.00) and easily (10 secs) replaced. When the head burns out simply unscrew the old head out and screw in new head- takes 10 secs. My Vivi Nova heads are lasting about 10 weeks BUT I wash the heads every few days. I've found the Vivi Nova to give the best draw. At 10 weeks the head is still firing great but the wicks are beginning to shred. Make ABSOLUTE sure you buy the genuine VISION brand- knockoffs are a nightmare IMO.

Also, I know every one uses different amounts of juice...but when I place my first order..what size bottle do you suggest for use to start out with? I can then reorder more juice
Best to buy samples to find your likes and dislikes. When I first began vaping I bought 30 wide ranging samples. Out of those 30 I liked 10. Immediately ordered another 20 and out of those I liked 10…so out 50 different flavors I enjoyed 20. Months later I tried those 30 samples that I disliked and enjoyed all but one. Whether it was because my tastes had changed or they needed steeping I don’t know. Realize also "same name" juices will vary greatly in taste from vendor to vendor as they all have diff recipes and order ingredients from diff Suppliers. If I has not bought samples to start I would've spent a small fortune in the beginning. Some new vapers find this out the hard way.

Prolly the best advice I can give you is Take Your Time in Choosing a PV

Kgo Starter Kit
http://www.hoosierecig.com/V2-1100mAh-KGO-Kit-_p_10.html
Vision Mini Vivi Nova 2.0 ml
http://www.hoosierecig.com/Vision-Nova-Tank-Clearomizer-V3-Slim_p_245.html
Extra Heads for the Vision Mini Vivi Nova 2.0 ml- for the Kgo you'll want either 1.8 or 2.4 ohms.
http://www.hoosierecig.com/Vision-Nova-Replacement-Heads-V3-long-Wick_p_248.html

Best of Luck.

Last edited:

klynnn

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 20, 2012
prattville
You will always need backups so start with them first. Get a smaller type such as a kgo at 1100mAh and a couple vivi novas. These are the next step up from a cigalike. It has a bit higher voltage than an ego and lasts all day. The charger works with the the twist/spinner type batteries should you want to upgrade in the future. KGO kit1100mAh by SLB If you are happy with those you can upgrade later. The biggest expense after batteries will be juice for 2 people. If you can increase your budget a bit this would be a better kit with VV. Vision Spinner Tank Combo

jasl90

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 30, 2012
Jacksonville, FL
^^ I suggested 1000mah + cuz he said he's in a cabin in the woods or something and doesn't care if it looks like a cigar but ya, most important is do your research and learn as much as you can before committing to anything majpr. Basically don't go all crazy, get a provari and have no idea how to use the thing properly when it comes.

btw very easy ohm to voltage method - double the ohms and subtract 0.2 to get the ideal voltage - from there you can +/- 0.4 on either side to get a safe range.

Guess I kinda glazed over that part... Considering the budget for two people... I'd go 1000 mAh + as well.

In terms of the number of batteries... I'd normally suggest a minimum of 2 per person, but that won't leave you much room in the budget for atomizers and juice. So maybe... 1 battery each plus a small ego "pass through" (you can vape it while its charging). Nothing will drive a vapor back to smoking faster than dead batteries and no backups...

.................Hey man !.

..................2 x Vision Spinner (each) One to use when the other charges.

..................2 x Kanger T3 bottom coil clearomizers (each) Though you really need 4. Get 2 spare coil bases.

..................2 x usb charger

..................2 x wall plug for usb charger

..................Most people use about 2 or 3ml of fluid a day. So a months supply would be, what, 90ml per person max.

..................Just google each item and it won't take long to find them. You might find most of it in one place. Though you may have to save up for a couple of weeks because all this stuff exceeds your budget. But it is all good quility stuff. It's what i use.

If you decide to get the T3 clearomizer only half fill it to prevent to much backwash. Change the coil base before refilling to avoid "backwash". Backwash occurs when burnt fluid seeps back into the tank and taints the remaining liquid and makes it thick, murky and taste dull. Leave the used coil base in hot water for a few hours then rinse and leave to dry for a few hours more. Any type of clearomizer should be cleaned out and left to soak in hot water everyday if you use 100% VG because it's thicker than PG and tends to clog up the coil wick.

................... You may want to try both types of fluid. Ones Vegetable Glycerine the other is Propylene Glycol. You can purchase both of these types of fluid mixed together. That's how most vendors sell it ready made. A lot of people find Propylene Glycol irritates their throat. Makes them cough gives them a sore throat. I'd personally recommend 100% vegetable Glycerine with a high nicotine content say 2.4mg or even 3.6mg. Flavour matters when it comes to satisfying your requirements. You will find that there is no fluids available that will taste like burnt tobacco. It doesn't exist. You could find some natural extract tobacco flavoured fluids.They taste like a tobacco would smell. For example i use "old holborn" fluid, it tastes like what the real thing smells like when you'd smell it in the pouch. Other types of so called tobacco flavoured fluids do not taste like tobacco at all. You may not like those chemical types.

Maybe you could just sample various flavours, there being literally hundreds to choose from, to see what you like and don't like. My personal favourite is menthol. It's a cool satisfying flavour that gives a sensation that exceeds that of real tobacco. If you still crave that sensation i'd sincerely recommend getting some 100% Vegetable Glycerine menthol flavoured e liquid. Try "Ecopure" e liquid. Not the tobacco flavour though. It does not taste of tobacco, more like wet dog !. Just google ecopure e liquid. Easy to find. If you are trying to replicate the smoking experience Menthol is the way to go.

lilmrsyeti

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2013
Alabama
Thank you all SO Much for the replies/advice!!

I'll do as suggested and keep reading up on everything and researching. You all have given great advice and great links to read up/research. Looks like the Mini Nova tanks are the way to go..will that fit into any battery..I now know to get at least 1000mah...but is there a certain brand that you have to get to work with the mini nova? That kGo starter kit looks like a good buy..it comes with 2 empty SLB 2.0ohm EGO Clearomizers. Then if I get 2 mini nova's...that would give us 4 of the parts that actually hold the juice, is that right? So if I order the kGo kit...when it's time to change the battery..what brand/kind would I need? If I get that kit, plus the Nova's...that's everything I will need to get started, all but the juice, right?

Thanks again for taking the time to get me on the right track!

Vapoor eyes er

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 13, 2011
Toronto, Ont.
Just make sure you buy the VISION Vivi Novas- lots of complaints with the Smok Tek Vivi Novas.
That kGo starter kit looks like a good buy..it comes with 2 empty SLB 2.0ohm EGO Clearomizers.Then if I get 2 mini nova's...that would give us 4 of the parts that actually hold the juice, is that right?
The clearomizers are non rebuildable so at a certain point they will be tossed whereas the Vision Vivi s are rebuildable and should last a very long time.
So if I order the kGo kit...when it's time to change the battery..what brand/kind would I need?
If you're charging both batteries once per day no need to replace them for at least 250 days. Most of us get by on charging one battery per day which would mean 500 days of usage BUT to be conservative I'd say 1 yr... I would imagine by or before that time you would be upgrading to variable voltage. The usb charger that comes with the kit can also be used with the VV Spinner or Twist so if you wished to try the VV all you would need is a battery and not a full kit. I'm 60 yrs, own both Twists and Spinners and prefer the Spinners because the voltage marking are easily readable and the knurled dial is easier to turn

Twist Dial
View attachment 189078

Spinner Dial
View attachment 189081

klynnn

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 20, 2012
prattville
The two clearomizers that come with the kgo aren't that great, they are disposable. The battery is excellent though I have several of them and they have worked for a year and still keep on going. The vivi nova made by vision is easy to fill and clean. Here is a video of the mega and it's fairly long. Will show how the coils can be rebuilt to save money. The nova can be used over and over. A PBusardo Tutorial - Vivi Nova Cleaning & Rebuilding - YouTube You will also need juice- the average person will use between 3-5 ml a day some more some less.

Vapoor eyes er

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 13, 2011
Toronto, Ont.
I would also advise buying 2 atomizers. Realize any accessory that is 510 or eGo will fit on the Kgo.
Mush easier to test new juices and very easy to use- easy to clean unlike a Vivi tank if the juice is horrible.
510 KGO atomizers

Here's a pic showing the diff 510 and eGo threads on the Kgo:

View attachment 189082

Berylanna

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2012
south Bay Area, California
www.facebook.com
Thank you all SO Much for the replies/advice!!

I'll do as suggested and keep reading up on everything and researching. You all have given great advice and great links to read up/research. Looks like the Mini Nova tanks are the way to go..will that fit into any battery..I now know to get at least 1000mah...but is there a certain brand that you have to get to work with the mini nova? That kGo starter kit looks like a good buy..it comes with 2 empty SLB 2.0ohm EGO Clearomizers. Then if I get 2 mini nova's...that would give us 4 of the parts that actually hold the juice, is that right? So if I order the kGo kit...when it's time to change the battery..what brand/kind would I need? If I get that kit, plus the Nova's...that's everything I will need to get started, all but the juice, right?

Thanks again for taking the time to get me on the right track!

The kGo (and all eGo-style batteries) -- the e-cig IS the battery. When it dies, you have to replace it. I do NOT suggest the kGo unless you make sure the model you are getting uses a STANDARD usb cord -- they have some models that do NOT, and I was unable to replace my charging cord when it died. [EDIT: Hoosier now seems to have replacement cords for everything they sell, so you might be OK.]

Any 1000-mah +- 100 mah should be fine if it takes a standard cord OR a cord that you can order replacements for. I have not found replacements for the non-standard kG0 vv cord. You can get replacement cords for almost ANY other device.

[EDIT: Wow, found the Bolts at Hoosier for $33 ea! Most things that take a single 18650 are $90 each.]
If you want something that takes replaceable batteries, check out the Bolt at Hoosier for $33 each, that is a LOW price!!! You'll need to mail-order your batteries, and use a charger specific to that exact battery type, otherwise there is fire or explosion danger. Safest would be to use a single 18650 configuration and start with 3 batteries apiece, so when the last one is in your ecig, the other 2 are in the charger.

Or go to MadVapes and buy a build-it-yourself kit.

OR, look up the $5 DIY mod called the "Puck" and make yourself some. The PUCK e-Cig Mod - An e-Cigarette Box Mod You Can Build Cheap and Easy and Uses Standard Rechargable Batteries (That's puck ecig, NOT puke cig :facepalm:)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread